Forum Knife D'fly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Color of the G-10?

Od Green
15%
Orange
46%
Blue
28%
Black
6%
Yellow
4%

Total votes: 140

Bradley

Forum Knife D'fly

Post by Bradley »

Hey guys, this is a break off of the other forum knife thread. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the preferred color might be. This will be for the color of the g-10 on the forum knife. This is all hypothetical by the way.

Another option could be natural/clear g-10: 5
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Seems unlikely that a non-production item will be produced as a forum knife, cool as a forum sprint would be :) .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Could that natural G-10 color be an option? That same color the Spin was wearing the money clip thread?
unit

Post by unit »

Are the liners skeletonized? If so, I would like clear (natural) G10, or G11.

While we are at it, lets get ZDP-189 for the blade steel.

YEAH, I know it will make an already expensive knife even more pricy, but it is not very often that we get a forum knife, so lets make it truly exceptional?

I wish I could be optimistic that this idea will make it to production....
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Zdp was already decided as what we'd like, if that isn't possible then something else will have to work. I don't even own a D'fly so idk about the liners.
unit

Post by unit »

Oh, cool. I am a little slow this week (it has been a memorable one for me).
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bradley wrote:Zdp was already decided as what we'd like...
Who decided this is what we'd like? Not saying I'd be opposed to it (though the price may end up being a bit high), but reading through your other thread it hardly seems like there was any wide consensus on model or steel, which is how most other threads have gone. I prefer to let Sal and Co. pick what the forum knife will be and surprise me.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Your input is welcome. It seems as though more people were for the d'fly. and there weren't any opinions on vg-10, only s90v and zdp, s90v can't be done because it's an american steel.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I like Units idea of natural over skeletonized liners...
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Blue G-10 would be great! If not ZDP, maybe S30V or VG-10 like the Foliage Green Dfly.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I was under the impression it had to be a foreign steel. SO vg-10 or ZDP, I suppose that's up to Sal & Co

edit: could also be h1 i guess
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

I just finished reading the father thread to this. I voted for yellow, but if it was an option I would vote for non dragonfly, but that's just me.

I read and appreciated all the opinions on this topic from the previous thread but I think it's gotta be up to Sal and whoever helps him decide. If he can't do it, then we don't get one. If he can than we do...

That being said, if I had a vote for the knife, I think it should be a middle line, medium expensive, medium sized, fairly commonly produced model with whatever variations / special touches that Sal and co. choose.

That's me.

-Zach
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Thanks for the input Zach. What model did you have in mind?
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

Bradley wrote:Thanks for the input Zach. What model did you have in mind?
That's the thing, I'm not sure it matters that much to me because I like all the knives. I think handle material should be g-10 or FRN for cost purposes and blade steel should be whatever Sal wants that's mid-ranged. I honestly can't say what I'd want, but like others from the previous thread I don't own a dragonfly and the image of it is warming in my head. I feel like, if there weren't so many sprints, the manix 2 would be a great candidate. The new model isn't overly expensive and it's an awesome awesome knife...it's too hard for me to do haha.

I'll take anything really. It will be special and purchased by me no matter what model is used as the base. I see it as a privilege to me and anyone else who can get a limited Spyderco like that. To be fair, if you look at his track record, Sal should decide, look at all the marvelous creations he's given us. It's truly amazing.

-Zach
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I love the idea for a dragonfly sprint of any kind. Its too bad ZDP is our only option for high end steel, not my favorite, in fact I'd prefer Vg-10.

I voted for blue, but how about a neon green one? There was a cybermodded h1 D'fly with that catcherman type toxic green, looked NICE.

If its going to be a blue, Id vote for a light robins egg or baby blue.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I saw the green d fly, in the 2012 sprint thread. It looked good, but I don't think we can really choose a color that hasn't been made. That being said the green would be frn like the catcherman.
Hojo133

Post by Hojo133 »

I'm new around here but I'd thought I would throw my vote in for white (FRN or G10) and Black blade & all black hardware. Would save me from having to buy two Delicas to achieve the same thing. Who am I kidding, I will get the Delicas and then the D'Fly would have a big brother.
Pro-V

Post by Pro-V »

I voted blue, but I would also like to see the natural G10 as an option. Not that I wouldn't buy one in just about any color.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

DCDesigns wrote:I love the idea for a dragonfly sprint of any kind. Its too bad ZDP is our only option for high end steel, not my favorite, in fact I'd prefer Vg-10.

I voted for blue, but how about a neon green one? There was a cybermodded h1 D'fly with that catcherman type toxic green, looked NICE.

If its going to be a blue, Id vote for a light robins egg or baby blue.
+1 from me, for the Dragonfly sprint run as well as for the color. Since there's already been a ZDP Dragonfly in British Racing Green (not sure if that was the official color name) something different would be cool. A wild neon green or something blue.
unit wrote:Are the liners skeletonized? If so, I would like clear (natural) G10, or G11.
I've currently got a Dragonfly Salt in yellow in my pocket and I checked. There are no liners. Personally I don't find the clear G-10 very attractive. Looks kinda icky, don't you think?! :o
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

I vote orange but I really prefer natural G10.
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey