Forum Attitude/Behavior

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Forum Attitude/Behavior

Post by TazKristi »

I have been a part of this community for close to 7 years. I have seen many things; some great, some not-so-great. The forum really does have a life of it's own. It goes through cycles and I believe we might just be in one of those negative cycles.

This forum was created for open discussion, primarily pertaining to Spyderco and our products. This place isn't just a website with words on a screen. It has always been a unique community that functioned more like a family.

I'm seeing some posts that do not fit with the spirit of this forum. I have received requests from new members wanting to delete their membership because they feel unwelcome. That is NOT the Spyderco way.

Plain and simple, the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked. Sometimes people are only looking for opinions, not a correct or incorrect answer. Asking "why" gives us an opportunity to learn new things, new points of view. Putting it into perspective with things we do here, asking "why" is a key part of the R&D process for us. It's how we learn. Imagine the innovations that would have never existed if Sal didn't ask "why?".

There is no one single member here that is more important than any one else. No one deserves to be treated in a negative or confrontational manner. We are not always going to agree with each other, we're not even going to always understand each other. If you disagree or don't understand that's fine and discussion is always welcome so long as it's done in a mature manner. If someone cannot participate without being aggressive or confrontational, they shouldn't post at all.

I've never activated the feature on the forum that allows infractions against members. However if I continue to see aggressive or confrontational posts I will enable it. We've never needed it before, I'd rather not.

Please remember when a new member comes here, they are seeking information. There is a veritable plethora of it here. Can people use the search feature? Of course, but it's an imperfect feature (and not everyone is at the same level of understanding technology) so if you get tired of seeing the same questions pop up time and again, ignore them. Each of you were new at some point. Think about how your passion for knives, for Spyderco, may have never grown if you were jumped on the first time you asked a question.

Our members are what makes this place great. I have been fortunate to experience the very best that this place has to offer. Who knows what a new member may offer to our community.

Think twice
Type once

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Very well spoken, Thank You.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thank you for this reminder Taz, and having often behaved in a less than ideal manner here, I am glad that you have brought this matter to the fore. I will join you and call to others in the endeavor to make this forum a kinder, gentler place.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Thanks Kristi
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Kristi, What you said could have come straight from my heart. Thanks a lot!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Stefan Roth

Post by Stefan Roth »

Kristi, wise words. Thank you!
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Well said. Like you wrote, everyone was new at some point! I like the way you think, you seem very introspective!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Phil Gibbs

Post by Phil Gibbs »

Make it So Taz!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very well said - I couldn't agree more. I'm sick of people bashing newbies. If anyone thinks they know "it all" they should rethink that, and how did they learn what they do know? Thanks Kristi. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Well said, Kristi! Always good to take a step back.. :spyder:
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Thank You Kristi.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Exactly, everyone was new at some point, both to the forum and to knives in general. If i remember right my first post here was about whether or not the Seki Delicas were knockoffs or not because i was under the impression that all Spyderco knives were made in Golden. If i had been barked at for asking that, i wouldn't be here today.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

....It is good to remind ourselves sometimes of good behaviour....

This reminds me of a bushido-quote;

'He who correctly critizes me is my teacher, he who correctly appraises me is my friend, but he who flatters me is my enemy'
Tom
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Too bad you had to make this call, Kristi, but a good thing you did.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Thank you for your open words.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Very true and great post. :)
JD Spydo

Give people a chance

Post by JD Spydo »

You know I'm glad Kristi made this thread. I remember when I first started back in Sept of 2004. It was almost a month before I could get hardly anyone to even talk to me :confused: But when I did finally break the ice I made a lot of friends in a hurry. And at that time I already had many Spyderco knives and had been a knife collector for years when I joined>> but still got the cold shoulder :confused:

So like Kristi is trying to convey to us there are many good people out there that just truly might not know the simplest of knife knowledge or lingo. So pleae just give them a chance to learn. You might just make the best friend you ever had :) From now on I'm personally going to try to make all newcomers welcome and I urge the rest of you to try to put yourself in their place. It's not easy to get to know an established group of people>> sometimes you just need to give them a chancec :)

And if they turn out to be trolls I'm sure the folks at the Great Spyder Factory will deal with them promptly ;)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Thank you Krisit.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

have received requests from new members wanting to delete their membership because they feel unwelcome. That is NOT the Spyderco way.

A lot of forums are pretty much the same, it's takes time for a new member to fit in or find their place in the Community, once they find their place they are usually fine, make friends ect.

Not sure what they mean by unwelcome, I think that could be more the new members issue than the people that are already here depending on what they expect.

I have been on forums for very long time and the pattern is usually the same since people will wait to see if the new member is a troll, or is going to stick around and become part of the community.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Noted :spyder: