H-1 Catcherman: I LIKE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

H-1 Catcherman: I LIKE

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I got the most pleasant surprise in the mailbox this morning. The H-1, Nuclear Green handled Catcherman has landed. This is truly a great fillet/food prep knife. The problem is I'm probably going to use this one unless I can get the $$ to get a second one before they run out.

Another great model resurrected from the "GOLDEN ERA of Spyders". I sure hope this motivates the Great Spyder Factory to reintroduce the Catcherman via the H-1 Salt Series and in all 3 edge variants to be available as well i.e. Plain Edge, Combo Edge & Spyderedge :cool: This is truly a step in the right direction.

A slam dunk!! A home run over the center field Wall!! A touchdown with 4 seconds left on the clock!!! As my friend Don King :rolleyes: would say>> "Hallelujah Baby!!! Only in America!!!""
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

Need some pics!
I can't wait mine...
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

I really like this knife too but Im not going to be buying one. I cant buy crap right now.

How long has this knife been in the making?

about a year ago my buddy which knows nothing about Spyderco bought my Yellow Catcherman NIB for 80 bucks but he claimed Spyderco was making a new one which I thought he was crazy, now this came out of the blue/green and I feel like a dipshit lol
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

I got mine today too..VERRY NICE
Attachments
2011-09-01 12.42.26.jpg
2011-09-01 12.42.26.jpg (88.87 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
2011-09-01 12.42.57.jpg
2011-09-01 12.42.57.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
JD Spydo

Catcherman: From the Golden Era Of Spyders

Post by JD Spydo »

The only thing that rubs me wrong about this special edition of my dearly beloved Catcherman is that I fear it may never again be available :( I hope that it will spur enough interest to generate enough fanfare to ignite the reintroduction of the Catcherman in the Salt Series.

It truly would be apropos to have a superb fillet knife in the Salt Series. Just like I long for the C-44 Dyad to return I also long for a Salt Series Catcherman available in all edge variants.

The Catcherman truly was one of the "cherry picks" of the "Golden Era Of Spyders (1998-2003). It's also one great kitchen/food/culinary knife as well.
Also I had great luck with it one year cutting up deer tenderloins :cool:
Samhain73

Post by Samhain73 »

I have looked at these many times, and decided if this was a spyderedge, I would have gotten 2. But, I just couldn't warm up to the combo edge. Probably my loss. :(
On a side note, I would love a orange handle/black blade (plain or SE) for carving pumpkins.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I got mine today. It's very impressive, and larger than I expected. When I slid the box open, it looked to me like a big, green, unripe banana. It's very nice, and I like the toxic green! :D
:bug-red-white
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

gbelleh wrote:I got mine today. It's very impressive, and larger than I expected. When I slid the box open, it looked to me like a big, green, unripe banana. It's very nice, and I like the toxic green! :D
My reaction exactly! :)
Gofannon wrote:Need some pics!
I can't wait mine...
Here's a very brief YouTube overview for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GymGBMpLohk
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Mine arrived today, too. I lost two of the originals due to stupidity (they are sitting in the bottom of two different lakes) and have regretted not repurchasing a third. Well, here it is - and H1 to boot!

Question: The blade is H1, and the scales and clip are obviously FRN... What are the pins and backspring made from? Are they H1 as well? They don't appear to be titanium or anything exotic... Just curious...

TedP
MCM

Post by MCM »

Me too!
Its been almost 2 years from a comrade on my absolute favorite island that came up with the idea.
Sal agreed, and the rest is history.

The odd couple, Un coated blade that will rust & a coated pair that won't. :D

Thanks again Sal!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
JD Spydo

Case for re-intro

Post by JD Spydo »

I would love it if they brought back the Catcherman in the Salt Series with all 3 edge variants and had a different color of handle for each edge type :cool:

H-1 steel and the Catcherman truly were made for each other. The nuclear colored handle also seems to be very appropriate because if you would drop it in shallow water it would make it easy to retrieve.

Every outdoorman, fisherman, survivalist and anyone who works with food should own a Catcherman.

This is truly a huge step in the right direction. It's Friday and I'm sure there will be many more of you get your USN Catcherman in the mail today. JD :spyder: O
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

My ignorance got the best of me. I was under the impression it was coming USPS, so I didn't even check my tracking number with the UPS site, my apologies Spyderco :( It'll be here today.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
mwmccormick

Post by mwmccormick »

Just opened mine. Got that slick Spydie polo shirt too. Way longer than I had imagined.

JD Spydo

A step forward

Post by JD Spydo »

Great Pics!!! I really love Spyderco's newer clothing line. The new caps are way better than the previous ones which weren't bad at all.

I got a feeling this one won't last till the end of next week >> Once folks learn just how functional the Catcherman is I bet many will end up using their's.

I'm betting that the H-1 will overshadow the older MBS-26 versions
MCM

Post by MCM »

Its a great addition!
Am shocked there are still 170 left!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
cckw

Post by cckw »

I decided to get one based on ya'alls love. but I would much prefer a fixed blade PE filet knife in H1 with FFG. I don't like combo edges and I don't like to cut stinky or oily stuff with a folder.
JD Spydo

Fixed Blade Fillet knife>> count me in

Post by JD Spydo »

cckw wrote:I decided to get one based on ya'alls love. but I would much prefer a fixed blade PE filet knife in H1 with FFG. I don't like combo edges and I don't like to cut stinky or oily stuff with a folder.
I too love the concept of a fixed blade fillet knife in H-1. However I would also want it available in Spyderedge as well as PE. I would get both edge types as I find good use for both of them.

But I will always adore the Catcherman which is the best folding fillet knife on the entire market IMO. Believe me I will find plenty of use for both of them if a Spyderco H-1 fixed blade ever becomes a reality. I would definitely want a decent sheath for it and maybe even have it available in 2 lengths like 6 & 8 inches. And with H-1's great rust resistance I think a G-10 handle would be in order.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

cckw wrote:I decided to get one based on ya'alls love. but I would much prefer a fixed blade PE filet knife in H1 with FFG. I don't like combo edges and I don't like to cut stinky or oily stuff with a folder.
I share your thoughts, but I have to say that the % of the blade that is SE on this blade is very small compared to most CE blades. Go for it! :) :spyder:
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Just had mine out admiring it. Will put it to use tomorrow. What a GREAT knife and addition to the Pacific, Aqua and other salt versions. And yes, I would also buy an 8" PE fixed blade H-1 fillet knife in a heartbeat. I know it would add to the cost but full tang would be the "hot tip" The extra length would make skinning larger fillets much easier and quicker. FRN, G-10, Micarta, Kraton, Zytel anything for handles/scales. This would be a family heirloom. Speaking of hot tips, the point on the Catcherman is needle fine. Yes I love mine too. Thanks USN and Spyderco! :D :D
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

:confused: Still waiting on mine