Why Locking Blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BigMo

Why Locking Blades?

Post by BigMo »

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I was looking through my knives today and noticed that all of them locked open. I know this is supposed to be a safety feature, but how? I've owned knives that didn't lock in the past and never had any issues. It seems to me that when you're cutting, the pressure applied is in the direction to keep the blade open. In fact, some locks actually seem less safe due to the fact that your fingers are in the path of the blade when you start to close it. What am I missing here?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Deleted with my apologies to the OP. I was wrong to reply to your post the way I did.
arty

Post by arty »

I cut myself on a Case peanut years ago when the blade caught in something and closed on my finger. While I have some very nice slippies, I generally prefer locking blades. I feel more comfortable with locking blades specifically because they are not going to close on me if I make a mistake with them.
addylo

Post by addylo »

One safety reason for a lock is to prevent the blade from closing on your fingers when using a (vigorous) thrusting or stabbing motion.
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

BigMo wrote:I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I was looking through my knives today and noticed that all of them locked open. I know this is supposed to be a safety feature, but how? I've owned knives that didn't lock in the past and never had any issues. It seems to me that when you're cutting, the pressure applied is in the direction to keep the blade open. In fact, some locks actually seem less safe due to the fact that your fingers are in the path of the blade when you start to close it. What am I missing here?
Big-
If you haven't noticed, a lot of knives are sold as "tactical." and a lot of people,who buy these knives seem to think they are going to be using them in some "real life" version of Westside Story or trench warfare. If you think of it those terms, there is always the possibility that while you are slashing your way through a herd of Jets you might backhand one and a knife without a lock might close across your paw. This not to say that there aren't legit reasons to have a locking blade because there certainly are; "It couldn't hurt" as is said so often. Locking blades are really necessary for people who do dumb stuff with their knives but not so much for real warriors.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

grumpyphil wrote:Big-
If you haven't noticed, a lot of knives are sold as "tactical." and a lot of people,who buy these knives seem to think they are going to be using them in some "real life" version of Westside Story or trench warfare. If you think of it those terms, there is always the possibility that while you are slashing your way through a herd of Jets you might backhand one and a knife without a lock might close across your paw. This not to say that there aren't legit reasons to have a locking blade because there certainly are; "It couldn't hurt" as is said so often. Locking blades are really necessary for people who do dumb stuff with their knives but not so much for real warriors.
And I guess only grumpyphil approved use is the standard? :p

You probably don't need your seat belt or your airbags because you don't drive dumb?

So I guess spyderco has been making knives for dumb people all these years? Sure must be a lot of those.

Oh, one more thing. I guess you buy only slipits because you're "smart".
cckw

Post by cckw »

I don't know anything about Westside Story or any of that combat talk, but as a kid I had a knife slip and somehow turned, hit something else and closed the blade on finger and put a big nasty cut. Probably have better hand control now, but that made a lasting impression.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Same reason you have seat belt and airbag in your car, you'll probably never need them, but if you ever do you'll glad they are there.

Plus it allows you do something you'd not do otherwise, like scraping stuff with spine of blade.
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:And I guess only grumpyphil approved use is the standard? :p

You probably don't need your seat belt or your airbags because you don't drive dumb?

So I guess spyderco has been making knives for dumb people all these years? Sure must be a lot of those.

Oh, one more thing. I guess you buy only slipits because you're "smart".
You obviously only read the parts of my post that you wanted to.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

grumpyphil wrote:You obviously only read the parts of my post that you wanted to.
Nope. I even read it between the lines.

So because the chaparral has a lock, those who buy it will imagine using it in "real life" version of west side story?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:That's right it's dumb. How many times have you needed your life insurance so far?

Do you happen to belong to those "real men don't need locks" camp?
Just a bit over the top on your comment, unless you meant it sarcastically.

I grew up as kid in the 70s using slipjoints for the most part. Locking blades were just not as available. Did I ever have one close on me? Yep, but not often - especially after getting cut. As I got older & locking blades became more prevalent I transitioned to carrying them more. In my opinion, my experience with slipjoints helped me when using locking blades. I always realize that a blade that folds in the middle has the potential to accidentally close and cause injury. As such I am more conscious in how I use a locking blade & how it can go wrong.

Of course the above applied to the heavy use of knives when I was in the Army & EMS. At my current job I work in an office & get by just fine using a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. Use to carry a locking blade of some sort in addition, but an unfortunate incident caused our management to ban "weapons" from the workplace. My Vic SAK squeaks by on a technicality.

Honestly most people's knife use on a day to day basis can be done with a slipjoint. Of course I usually carry both a locking blade and my Vic SAK. Actually if you expect to encounter a lot of heavy duty uses that might tax a folder it is probably better to carry a fixed blade. Right tool for the right job.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

BigMo wrote:I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I was looking through my knives today and noticed that all of them locked open. I know this is supposed to be a safety feature, but how? I've owned knives that didn't lock in the past and never had any issues. It seems to me that when you're cutting, the pressure applied is in the direction to keep the blade open. In fact, some locks actually seem less safe due to the fact that your fingers are in the path of the blade when you start to close it. What am I missing here?
You are probably young and have not yet cottoned to the number of amazing coincidental accidents that happen to everyone in time. Take my advice and do not bet on an endless sequence of perfect execution. If you actually think that an lockless knife will never cut you, you have taken the first step towards a visit to the emergency room.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If you haven't noticed, a lot of knives are sold as "tactical." and a lot of people,who buy these knives seem to think they are going to be using them in some "real life" version of Westside Story or trench warfare.
Hmm, which part did you say I didn't read?
grumpyphil wrote:If you think of it those terms, there is always the possibility that while you are slashing your way through a herd of Jets you might backhand one and a knife without a lock might close across your paw.
This part also seems to belittle locks

grumpyphil wrote: This not to say that there aren't legit reasons to have a locking blade because there certainly are; "It couldn't hurt" as is said so often.
Well, there is this minor acknowledgement that locks can be useful but only as an afterthought.

A lot of makers and manufacturers put a lot of R&D into locks. Spyderco even has a lock breaking machine. If locks are all that unimportant, I wonder why. Just trying to please the mall ninjas?

grumpyphil wrote:Locking blades are really necessary for people who do dumb stuff with their knives but not so much for real warriors.
This part is the crux of your post. No matter what else you say, this is a positive statement from you and no amount of qualification will take the foot out of your mouth.
catamount

Post by catamount »

Other than being in violation of foolish laws, what's the downside to having a lock?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Halfneck wrote:Just a bit over the top on your comment, unless you meant it sarcastically.
I guess sarcasm doesn't carry well in the forums?
addylo

Post by addylo »

Let it go, guys.
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
MCM

Post by MCM »

Q: Why Locking Blades?

A: Because they work better.

;)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Locking blades are really necessary for people who do dumb stuff with their knives but not so much for real warriors.
Well now to comment on this.

My Dad used a Buck 110 in his job as a heavy mechanic on construction sites. Not a warrior nor did he do dumb stuff with it.

I used a locking blade as a EMT and a Medic in the Infantry.

Neither of us made our choice for a locking blade in the belief that we'd be fighting off bad guys or "Hey watch this!" moments. Our decision on a locking blade was made in the belief that if something goes wrong the knife we have on us can hopefully handle it.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I guess sarcasm doesn't carry well in the forums?

One of the problems with typed words is the inability to convey emotion. Use of smiley faces can help. ;)

There is no wrong or right to this discussion. It is all a matter of opinion & what works for the user. I love the multitude of different knives we have available to us now. May not always have a use for them, but I just love knives.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Those of us old enough to remember not having a choice, got very happy when we were given the choice.
No going back now.......... Buck 110 started it for most folks....
It would be like going back to driving a Model T.
Sure you could do it, but why?

That's the real question here........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......