2011/2012 Forum Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bradley

2011/2012 Forum Knife

Post by Bradley »

Well everyone, USN had a forum knife made/released, so it might just be me, but I think we should have one. Since we are the Spyderco forums, it seems fitting that we should get a knife to celebrate the countless hours we spend here LOL. I know it's not just me when I say I'd love to blow more money on :spyder: :p . So now I ask all you great folks. What do you want? I personally would like a blue/satin jester, that would be awesome!
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

If you do a search, you'll find that Sequimite has posted a couple of threads concerning the next forum knife. Nothing has been firmly decided as of now.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I can't seem to get my browser to properly load the search function. SORRRRY :/
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Bradley wrote:Well everyone, USN had a forum knife made/released, so it might just be me, but I think we should have one.
I am not sure that we can say that we should have. This is not up to us, unfortunately. I will say, that it would be nice to have. And in my honest opinion, we may be deserve. I am saying may be because from one point of view, we certainly deserve (We are biggest Spydernuts, Spyderaddicts, Spyderfanatics, so if we don't, who else does than?), but from another point of view we do not make this easy for Spyderco. First of all we cannot agree on what model we want. Some people will miss sale, because they do not want put enough efforts to be informed, that we will have here hundred pages threads on how badly Spyderco distribute Forum knives. I feel only sorry for Kristi, who makes this happen and instead of appreciation reading pages and pages of complains.
Just want to add, that I will be happy to have Spyderco 2011 Forum knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have no idea whether Spyderco has one in the works or is even considering the idea, but I definitely would like to have one and will order one if they make it, regardless of model. materials, color, etc.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

burgandy micarta caly3.5 zdp
catamount

Post by catamount »

An FRN Stretch in some funky color would be cool.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've been on this forum for a little over a year and haven't seen very much positive reading about forum knives except the desire to have one available. Other info is enough to make the Spyderco folks hesitate to deal with it. This was discussed in detail a few months ago and man, it sure did seem like there was a lot that goes into it from a decision of what to make perspective. I don't even remember the difference in a forum knife and a sprint run knife. I think some people commit to buying a forum knife ahead of time but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'd love to see a forum knife but would never commit to buying one because when they come out it may not be a good time financially or I may not care for the knife model.

Jack
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I agree it must be a lot of work for the team. Idk I just thought this being the :spyder: forum, we'd have the opportunity to buy a knife dedicated to this great place. What if they released a proto picture of the knife, and allowed pre orders, months ahead or whatever. They could judge the desire for the knife by that, correct?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Bradley wrote:I agree it must be a lot of work for the team. Idk I just thought this being the :spyder: forum, we'd have the opportunity to buy a knife dedicated to this great place. What if they released a proto picture of the knife, and allowed pre orders, months ahead or whatever. They could judge the desire for the knife by that, correct?
That sounds like a great suggestion. I hope they continue with the forum knife. Maybe it doesn't need to be an annual thing or on any schedule for that matter. That might cause them to rush and one thing I would like is to know the knife is special for one reason or another. Maybe a theme or type of use. A camping/hunting knife or a fishing knife or a combat (cut the head off your enemy) knife. They could dedicate it to a given something like one knife is dedicated to some form of charity but I can't remember which. I think it is a pink knife. They could dedicate a knife to me. It would be a completely useless, having no reason to exist knife. They could even engrave that phrase on the blade or handle. :D

Jack
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

A breast cancer research charity. What if they made a cheaper knife? Like a ladybug or something, even if it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, I couldn't see a bunch of people passing on a :spyder: forum blue/satin ladybug because it was like $40.. The catcherman on the other hand, was quite a bit more expensive than some were willing to pay for a knife they didn't have a specific use for. Just my idea.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

It would be interesting to get the moderator's input, or anyone from Spyderco for that matter. If a forum knife costs Spyderco money because it costs too much and is too much work so they sell it at a loss, then count me out. But if it's a money maker, then why not make a Spyderco forum knife. I'm new to this game but I know myself well enough to know that if they did make a Spyderco forum knife, chances are very good I would get one or two. To save money, why not a forum mule or bushcraft knife blank with a new steel? Or even the Spyderco Forum custom scales for a popular knife model that most us Spydie addicts might already have? A forum fixed blade? A forum sheath? I'm down for whatever. Im just happy and blessed to be able to buy some of this cool gear.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Well I suggested the ladybug or jester to help people who can't spend a lot. A specialized item like a sheath or scales would pretty much leave out people who don't have that knife. Unless they have the means to go buy a $100 para 2 plus the $20 scales. I was thinking a more cost friendly product. I do like the idea of scales, I just don't find it (for lack of a better word) fair.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

We can take the load off Spyderco. Over on Bladeforums, the old farts (like me) on the Traditional subforum have gotten together, decided a pattern and materials, then commissioned our own forum knife for the last five years. We can hash out a production Spyderco to have engraved (laser etched) as a forum knife, all interested parties can pony up to one person and have that person order X number of Y model with Z laser etched as a special order. That person receives all the knives as a single order, then boxes them up and ships them out to everyone who ordered and paid. Anyone who doesn't get in before the deadline can just be jealous.

Yes, it is a lot of work to organize such an under taking. Yes, it is a lot of work to repack and ship what could be hundreds of knives (but it usually isn't that many). Yes, half the forum won't be happy with the choice, whatever is selected. Hey, I wasn't thrilled with the last couple myself. But we don't have to wait for the busy folks at Spyderco to do all the work for us.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

jtoler_9 wrote:It would be interesting to get the moderator's input, or anyone from Spyderco for that matter. If a forum knife costs Spyderco money because it costs too much and is too much work so they sell it at a loss, then count me out. But if it's a money maker, then why not make a Spyderco forum knife. I'm new to this game but I know myself well enough to know that if they did make a Spyderco forum knife, chances are very good I would get one or two. To save money, why not a forum mule or bushcraft knife blank with a new steel? Or even the Spyderco Forum custom scales for a popular knife model that most us Spydie addicts might already have? A forum fixed blade? A forum sheath? I'm down for whatever. Im just happy and blessed to be able to buy some of this cool gear.
+1 ON THE BUSHCRAFT BLANK! I cant see a dedicated mule in the future, but another sort of blank would be tops! It doesnt have to be some super steel, **** a 1095 blank with custom engravings for the forum, and DIY scales would be epic!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Bradley wrote:The catcherman on the other hand, was quite a bit more expensive than some were willing to pay for a knife they didn't have a specific use for. Just my idea.
I do not think that $78 is expensive to have unique knife and the only use I can see is collection. I think it would look ridiculous to somebody to fillet a fish, using black bladed (tactical) knife.
jtoler_9 wrote:It would be interesting to get the moderator's input, or anyone from Spyderco for that matter. If a forum knife costs Spyderco money because it costs too much and is too much work so they sell it at a loss, then count me out.
I would love the hear moderator's input as well. I do not think that Spyderco loosing money, most likely less profit, if any. Plus extra work for Kristi and few other people.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BAL

Post by BAL »

jackknifeh wrote:That sounds like a great suggestion. I hope they continue with the forum knife. Maybe it doesn't need to be an annual thing or on any schedule for that matter. That might cause them to rush and one thing I would like is to know the knife is special for one reason or another. Maybe a theme or type of use. A camping/hunting knife or a fishing knife or a combat (cut the head off your enemy) knife. They could dedicate it to a given something like one knife is dedicated to some form of charity but I can't remember which. I think it is a pink knife. They could dedicate a knife to me. It would be a completely useless, having no reason to exist knife. They could even engrave that phrase on the blade or handle. :D

Jack
If they wanted to dedicate it to something completely useless and having no reason to exist, it could be called The X-Wife Knife.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

It wasn't too expensive for me, but as you can see they are still in stock. I could see a forum jester or ladybug, or something cheaper selling out same day.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

DCDesigns wrote:+1 ON THE BUSHCRAFT BLANK! I cant see a dedicated mule in the future, but another sort of blank would be tops! It doesnt have to be some super steel, **** a 1095 blank with custom engravings for the forum, and DIY scales would be epic!
I agree! A Bushcraft blank would be awesome! Sign me up!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bradley wrote:It wasn't too expensive for me, but as you can see they are still in stock. I could see a forum jester or ladybug, or something cheaper selling out same day.
Selling out in one day isn't good because if it took two or three days it would allow people who are working or whatever a good chance to pick one up and less reason to complain that they missed out. Keep in mind that the last USN knife only sold out the first batch of 300 in a day, while the 2nd batch of 300 took a couple more days. The last Spyderco forum knife also sold out in a day, but it was limited to 300. I'd think a run of 500 or so with a limit of 2 would give us a couple days before it disappeared, allowing many more people to have a chance to get one.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com