Blade Centering

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
log man

Blade Centering

Post by log man »

A few have mentioned with disdain that after re-assembly their blade wasn't centered. Even on a YouTube a complaint that the knife wasn't precision enough, because it didn't re-center after re-assembly.

The blade tip being centered as many know is simply an assembly procedure of getting it centered. It'd the assemblers job, and not difficult. When doing an assembly do not tighten any screws until they are all in and check for tip center, flex handle to center and snug a few screws, check again, re-do, once centered snug the screws, don't over tighten, when they stop firmly that's it. The pivot screw should also be snugged and backed off a quarter to a half turn. The blade pivot will always feel tighter at first and settle to smoother and easier, after a few dozen openings.

LOG
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'm of the belief that if it doesn't rub, its okay for me. Perfect centering is a neurosis perpetuated by many a you tube reviewer and plenty of OCD knife nuts. It has no real effect on the knife during use.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
log man

Post by log man »

araneae wrote:I'm of the belief that if it doesn't rub, its okay for me. Perfect centering is a neurosis perpetuated by many a you tube reviewer and plenty of OCD knife nuts. It has no real effect on the knife during use.
No, but the point is you can easily correct the centering of the blade with in reason. Why not? I first realized this with a Kershaw Assisted. They need to be disassembled for cleaning and occasional spring replacement.The liner lock wants to push the blade off center, but with careful alignment it will stay centered. Same with the Spyderco's, such as the P3 or Milly and Para's.

LOG
Waco

Post by Waco »

I've disassembled my G10 Endura for cleaning and had no issues.
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

araneae wrote:I'm of the belief that if it doesn't rub, its okay for me. Perfect centering is a neurosis perpetuated by many a you tube reviewer and plenty of OCD knife nuts. It has no real effect on the knife during use.
Actually, we neurotics with OCD can appreciate symmetry without being knife nuts...and we sweat ZDP-189 thinking that if the blade isn't centered when closed it will be off-plane with respect to the longitudinal axis of the handle when opened. Not necessarily so, of course, but hey, we're neurotic. :D