Hurricane Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iwolf81

Hurricane Knives

Post by iwolf81 »

As I'm doing my preparation for Hurricane Irene hitting Massachusetts, I'm keeping an Assist I in my back pocket and ATR in my front pocket. What are your hurricane knives?

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I'll have my EDC system with the addition of a Spydersaw, 28" machete and a Wetterlings close at hand for any downed trees/limbs on the property.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TBob

Post by TBob »

I have an Assist on the way, but it won't get here until Monday. I used my normal EDC, a Stretch CF, yesterday while installing some extra weather stripping. I have my Gayle Bradley and Endura 4 handy during the storm for any heavy-duty work. I also have my trusty old-fashioned but effective ax handy for any fallen trees/limbs.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

As far as Spyderco knives go when the storm hits, I have my Spyderco Starmate PE, Spyderco Endura Armorer CE, and Delica4 PE and SE. These are the :spyder: s currently in rotation.

Also, I have the Spyderco P'Kal on me as well. It's usually a weekend EDC at home.

If I need to leave the apartment, the Spyderco Assist I Orange FRN will be with me. I do like the idea of taking along the Spyderco SpyderSaw. I just took it out of the Spyderco SpyderPac and it's ready to go.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Its not as much a knife as it is a 10Hp ported Husqvarna 395 with a 48" bar and chain... for when my dragonfly is just a lil too small, lol.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've had a Para2 in my pocket all day. My heavy work knives consist of a 12" Ontario machete and Becker Patrol Machete. I'm sure those two will come in handy tomorrow.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah you guys might wanna pack on the chainsaws. During katrina and gustav chainsaw were indispensible. I would also keep a machete ready too. If the hurricanes get too bad we evacuate and there's a blue rescue in my car not to mention all my other knives would be in the car. I always have a machete or two in the trunk because you never know what you'll get into in southeast louisiana.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

I just remembered I also have a Rock Salt to keep nearby. I hope I won't have to break it in tomorrow.

@DCDesigns - I think that chainsaw beats a Spydie for power, but I'd like to see you flick it open from your pocket. ;)

Stay dry!
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
moonberrys

Post by moonberrys »

Yeah, southern louisiana is no joke. But seriously, we had to cut our way out of my neighborhood after katrina, chainsaws were worth their weight in gold.
FlaMtnBkr

Post by FlaMtnBkr »

I've got a 18" and 34" Stihl chainsaw as well as a 16" and 18" Craftsman chainsaws. I actually like the Craftsman saws better and they have been more reliable though most people like to talk trash about Craftsman. I also have 4 8500 W generators that really come in handy. I live back in the woods away and there have been multiple times we have been without power for a week or more. The generators keep the freezers going. I have 2 1500 sqft shops on the property and the newest one is a metal building that I set up a covered area for the generator and a panel that pipes into the inside electric panel so I can back feed the shop. I built a small 15x15 room that is inside the shop and insulated and air conditioned with a small wall unit. Have some cots so that my family can be comfortable even in this heat. It also contains one of the gun safes as well as about half of our ammo hoard. The ATV is also helpful when lots of trees are down.

This storm passed us but the last one to hit produced a very strange phenomena. I was walking down the dirt road during a break in the rain. All the sudden hundreds of little 'water spouts' started spraying water about 6 inches in the air out of the ground. Over the next 2 hours the water rose to about 6 feet deep at the deepest spot and covered probably close to 10 acres and 3 of the neighbors houses got flooded. Luckily it stopped at about the beginning of my driveway which was good but blocked the road out for about 4 days. We live in about the lowest spot in the area and we found out later that a sinkhole opened up in the middle of a over filled retention pond about a mile and a half away in a straight shot. I guess all the water traveled underground in lime rock tunnels and traveled to the lowest spot. It was a pretty neat thing to witness and I'm sure is something very few people will ever see. It was a heck of a sight looking out in the woods and seeing hundreds of fountains shooting up out of the ground and then the water just rising and rising where there has never been water before except for the occasional mud puddle.

Ok, I'm done rambling. As far as knives I would just carry the normal 3 or 4 folding knives I carry everyday.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

Times like this I wish I had an Assist. I will be buying one in the very near future.

I'll be carrying my Delica 4 user and my Moonglow Manix, in case the power goes out at work I'll have something that will glow in the dark to use with my Surefire.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

I actually got to put a Spydie to good use in this storm. I needed to pry a sealed cover off a sump hole in order to install a sump pump. (It was sealed as part of a radon system.) Of all my Spydies, I chose a pink Endura because it would be easier to find in case I accidentally dropped it in into the muddy hole. Thankfully, no chainsaws have been needed.

Ira
TBob

Post by TBob »

Power's back on. It was out for about 10 hours. Didn't need the Spydies once I installed the extra weatherstripping before the storm. The tree professionals are using chainsaws on the huge tree that went down on the power lines up the hill from us. I didn't ask if it was a Spydie.

My Rescue should arrive tomorrow, in time for the next disaster. We've had an earthquake and hurricane so far this week. Can't wait to see what comes next week!
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

I am carrying my manix 2. We have 3 inches of rain so far since 11am when i put a cup outside, rain started at 7am so we must have at least 4inches so far. And it is supposed to get worse and continue until 5am tomorrow morning. Lake that we are next to is supposed to get 6-8 foot waves! I can't believe that, but thats what theyre saying
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I had my S90V Para 2 on me when I went to work.

We only got 4" of rain were I live in NC out of it.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Reagan National recorded about 4" or so if I added the hourlies correctly. We were several inches behind for the year, and Irene caught us up in one night!
kmb11132

Post by kmb11132 »

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks to Spyderco for helping to save my basement from flooding last night. I live in central Jersey and as part of my preparation for the hurricane I kept my Military by my side all night long. I woke up at about 1am to find my basement floor covered in 3-4 inches of water and rising as the worst part of the storm hit my area. After hooking up two extra sub-pumps I went outside and noticed that one of the hoses (on my most powerful pump) wasn't long enough-- all of the water was flowing out of my basement and right back against the outside of my leaky foundation. The only extra hose I was able to find was exactly the same size as the hose I was already using which prevented me from being able to connect them together. Luckily I was able to use my Military to quickly make an incision along the length of the extra hose so that I could wrap it around the end of the existing hose and then seal the joint with duct tape. I was able to get the water to flow out into my drainage ditch and save my basement. So thank you Spydero for making a knife that was able to slice easily through corrugated plastic in the middle of a rainstorm and consequently save my rental property from disaster.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

PPT in front right, Manix2 Carpenter sprint in back pocket sans clip, and D-fly Salt ...

Althought the threat has long passed in Coastal Southern VA ... all were called on and performed admirably. ;)

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I was using a Husqvarna 272XP with 24" bar to cut up a red cedar that fell at our beach house yesterday. There were some vines that kept snagging the limbs and I had switched out my Endura ZDP to my Tasman Salt SE. It was perfect for slashing one handed as I held the saw and it helped clear things up quickly.

During the storm I was carrying my Endura and a Dragonfly ZDP, mainly for opening packages of food as I didn't venture too far out of the house.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

For the "weekend storm" I EDC'ed the ASSIST. If there was ever a time where I needed a whistle, glass breaker and kickass blade, it was those days.
Come Join Us Click Here