USN Catcherman Release Date

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Bradley wrote:What would you guys expect this to cost? :/ hate that I missed the last usn release. Don't wanna have to pass on this one.
Heh, Sal basically gave the toxic E4 away to usn members. With the discount code it was $65(I don't know if there's a code this time), which was right at cost I think. Without the code it was $120, so this knife will be nearer that price. I did hear that flat grinding H1 was cost prohibitive, that may or may not make the catcherman more expensive.
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Heh, the east coast may all be blacked out Monday. :(
justinl

Post by justinl »

Stephen wrote:I did hear that flat grinding H1 was cost prohibitive, that may or may not make the catcherman more expensive.
Yep it's because of the work hardening properties of H1. Flat grinding is done on one side, then the other. hollow grind is both sides at once. When I look at the pic dapagco posted, the blade looks hollow ground to me.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

There is a special code, if anyone here is on the USN check the catcherman thread......idk if i am prohibited from saying so, but I guess it's too late
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

justinl wrote:Yep it's because of the work hardening properties of H1. Flat grinding is done on one side, then the other. hollow grind is both sides at once. When I look at the pic dapagco posted, the blade looks hollow ground to me.
Wow, you're right about the hollow grind. I missed it, the grind line is just ridiculously hard to see b/c of the coating and the picture is kinda small.
Bradley wrote:There is a special code, if anyone here is on the USN check the catcherman thread......idk if i am prohibited from saying so, but I guess it's too late
I think you're fine unless you start posting the code everywhere like a madman, lol. Just giving already current USN members a heads up is probably cool. I doubt that they'll let anyone register over the weekend anyway just in case any ebay flippers get wind of the release. I bet that's part of the reason for the short notice.
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Dibs... haha. I just bought a Caspian and ladybug hawkbill salt the other day but it looks like I will be getting another piece of H1.
bc

Post by bc »

never mind...
HaroldB

Post by HaroldB »

Looking forward to giving the Emerson Wave USN Endura a "mate" on Monday :D
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

SO pissed I missed the USN Endura hahaha.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote: Or are they only for USN members?
Joe,
It shouldn't take more than five minutes to join USN. There are good discussion there, sometimes :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

bh49 wrote:Joe,
It shouldn't take more than five minutes to join USN. There are good discussion there, sometimes :)
I tried a while back but they won't let anyone join with a gmail or ymail address...

Also, Dapagco, can I buy this and have it shipped to a family member? or will the ny address on the card not allow it? Thanks -
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
angusW

Post by angusW »

So this will only have the right handed clip?
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
rycen

Post by rycen »

angusW wrote:So this will only have the right handed clip?
yes
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
MCM

Post by MCM »

Seems like its been 2 years since the orig USN Catcherman thread.
Didnt see the black partially serratted blade coming.
Will try and be near a comp Monday morning. :)

Here is a photoshop from USN that was made up about a year ago.
Pretty close......
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
salguod

Post by salguod »

IMHO, this looks better without the partial serrations and the black coating. But I wonder about the hollow grind. I’m looking for a flexible fillet type knife. FFG would be more flexible and probably make a better fillet knife. But then the picture shows the thick spine ending well before the tip so this might still be ok as a fillet knife. Are we going to get final specs on this before Monday? Do we get a choice of serrations or plain edge? Coated or bare? Can we confirm the grind?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

You could always strip the coating if you wanted to. I'm sure the serrations are the only option. Only so few being made I doubt spyderco would make ce and pe and offer it with coated and plain blades. If it were a production piece it would seem more reasonable. If this sprint does well we may see a normal production version which would be awesome for myself. I don't think I'll be able to purchase this one.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

pmbspyder wrote: Also, Dapagco, can I buy this and have it shipped to a family member? or will the ny address on the card not allow it? Thanks -
+1

Can we do the "bill to" and "ship to" as two different addresses. If so, expect another buyer!
Come Join Us Click Here
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I have to applaud Sal and all the crew for coming through with another knife requested from/by forum members.

I won't be getting this one, as the only version of this model that I liked was the fully serrated one. I don't know why, but this model just never appealed to me very much.

I can't understand this because it looks like a very good knife.

But, once again, kudos to the Spyderco crew and Good Luck to all the prospective buyers!
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

Is there any way to get the code,because have a email adress they don`t accept. :-(
Thanks for help
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Kohbanang wrote:Is there any way to get the code,because have a email adress they don`t accept. :-(
Thanks for help
As I understand it, anyone can purchase one, you do not need the code. The code is only meant to give USN members a discount so, IMHO, it would be wrong for anyone to give it out and dishonest for someone to use it if they don't belong to that forum.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!