"What do you need a knife for?"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

Because chopsticks, while perfectly suited for puncturing eardrums and eyeballs, are unsuitable for dismemberment.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

repost from 2009:

without knives
it would be difficult to open
the boxes of knives that come to my door

without knives
how would I cut the cardboard to
package the knives I send out

I need knives

e e sequimite
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Knives are not weapons. Anyone carrying a knife is usually not a killer. They are not carrying a knife to assasin some poor little kid. They are carrying because they know the value of having that tool throughout the day. A knife is meant to be used for cutting steak, opening envelopes, and other things. It is not for slitting the throat of that person you hate. It can be used for that, but it's not meant to be. A knife is just like a baseball bat, a hokey stick, a pencil, or any other normal object that can be used to harm someone, except that all these objects, knives included, were made to serve a purpose. A knife has infinately more uses than a baseball bat, and yet, the knife is the one that gets the bad publicity, and is made out to look as though it is an evil, single-minded object that only wants to stab people. Guess what? A baseball bat will probably do the job a lot quicker. Yet knives are heavily restricted, and baseball bats are as free as a proverbial bird. Along with saws, hatchets, and axes, knives are not weapons, they are TOOLS. When a tool is badly used, that's when it can be seen as a weapon.

It's useful to carry a knife. If you ever need something cut, then you can cut it. Think of a knife as a scissor that's 10000x more evolved. A knife can do everything a scissor can, and even more than that. I don't see someone cutting steak with scissors for some reason.

It's a no brainer. Carrying a knife will not harm you, yet the day you don't carry is the day you need it the most. You know all those little "seat-belt cutters" or "window breakers" that people buy? Nobody ever asks what those items are doing in a car, because the answer is obvious- if there's an accident, then you can cut yourself out of the seatbelt and break the window open. (Assuming the seatbelt and the door are both jammed. Trying the easy ways first does help.) A knife only costs twice as much, yet a knife will cut a seatbelt better, and can be used for literally an infinate amount of things. (The window can probably be broken with any solid object.) Anyways, this is just a really roundabout way of saying that you should carry a knife for emergencies. If people are buying those seatbelt cutters for the event of an emergency, what's wrong with carrying a knife? And if you're thinking a knife is too pointy, please reread my first paragraph.

I don't care if this doesn't convince you to carry a knife, although it might, and that'd be one good thing out of this, but the main reason I'm writing this is that because not everyone who carries a knife is going to end up half crazy and go on a rampage through the city stabbing everyone they see. If you're uncomfortable with someone with a knife, fine, scoot away. But please don't yell "TERRORIST!" at the top of your lungs and faint on the ground.

This inspired me to make a note on Facebook. Now anyone who dares oppose my endura will get it.... errr.. that is.... get the note. :rolleyes:
Waco

Post by Waco »

I went for many years carrying a multi-tool only. It had a blade, so I figured that was all I needed. I didn't use the blade much, because my attempts at sharpening it were never successful. I wasn't until I discovered Spydercos that I realized how handy it is to have a knife that clips to my pocket, opens with one hand, and cuts anything. If you ever see me digging through a drawer looking for a kitchen knife, a utility knife, or a pair of scissors, I'm probably not wearing pants.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Dude I cringed when you cut that banana on that ceramic plate. Grab a plastic one your edge will last a little longer.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I liked your video. Thanks for sharing. That's exactly why we carry knives, aside from the fact that they're just neat. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Waco

Post by Waco »

v8r wrote:Dude I cringed when you cut that banana on that ceramic plate. Grab a plastic one your edge will last a little longer.
I don't think spydiechick is a dude.
shimage

Post by shimage »

unit wrote:Probably best to ignore me....
I find your posts fairly enlightening, so that isn't going to work for me.

Hmm. And I guess I was rude to the OP by not commenting on her video ... It reminded me of the Cajun Blaze's "Sage as EDC" video ... and Spyderco's 15-day challenge, I guess. Reading the other comments, I am reminded of my old advisor, whose teeth were like scissors. He could bite through most things before I could get my knife out. Maybe I'm just too slow "on the draw".
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

To cut stuff and open stuff.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I gotta say I have been enjoying your videos quite a bit. So much so that I even subscribed to your channel. It's a bit of a new perspective..young, female (and *cough* quite an attractive one at that) and best of all Canadian :D ...not a lot of that around this place.

There are dozens of uses for a good knife and I think that you showed quite a few that most of us probably do every day, or near to at least. I was at this big convention today and even though it was a huge public (filled with an immense amount of NKP) event I used my ukpk a few times, and was glad that I had it.

Keep up the vids!
On the hunt for...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I gotta say I have been enjoying your videos quite a bit. So much so that I even subscribed to your channel. It's a bit of a new perspective..young, female (and *cough* quite an attractive one at that) and best of all Canadian :D ...not a lot of that around this place.

There are dozens of uses for a good knife and I think that you showed quite a few that most of us probably do every day, or near to at least. I was at this big convention today and even though it was a huge public (filled with an immense amount of NKP) event I used my ukpk a few times, and was glad that I had it.

Keep up the vids!
She's Canadian? I didn't know she was from a 3rd world country. She mentioned school. I didn't know they had schools there. Electricity too I guess. She did a video on the Manix2 also. I guess that's for fighting the grizzle bears?

I'm sorry Tomoto (and all other Canadians). Just kidding. :D

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

jackknifeh wrote:She's Canadian? I didn't know she was from a 3rd world country. She mentioned school. I didn't know they had schools there. Electricity too I guess. She did a video on the Manix2 also. I guess that's for fighting the grizzle bears?

Jack
Yup which makes her cool.

Well by school she means a clearing in the woods where we all go to learn what berries and mushrooms are good to eat and which aren't. Also in the same place we are taught how to use a Spyderco Manix to defeat all wild animals from bears, to Lynx and other wild cats as well as Moose.

Then once winter comes, we have winter school where we get taught how to make igloos and ice fish.

The electricity we get by putting beavers in large hamster wheels which turn a generator. :eek:
On the hunt for...
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Wow, really great work on the videos on your channel. Nice work.

As for what do need a knife for question ... they (NKPs) will never get. Oh well.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

v8r wrote:Dude I cringed when you cut that banana on that ceramic plate. Grab a plastic one your edge will last a little longer.
LOL so did I !!! Nice video though Tomoto
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

In my experience if your carrying something which is perfectly suited to the task at hand no one bats an eye lid. My D2 Para and SE Mille have never raised any eye brows or attracted any unnecessary attention but have had plenty of admiration even from "NKP".
On the flip side thouigh my old Mini Manix was frequently frowned upon by more than a few folk and even more so the Manix 2. The funny thing is that the most surprising "NKP" shock horror remarks I've been on the receiving end of were from carrying a Caly Jr! :rolleyes:

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Tank

Post by Tank »

Cool video, Once at work a co worker was trying to open a clam shell pack with a letter openener (no scissors at her desk). Asked if she needed help and she handed it to me.. i pulled out my Tasman and opened it right up.. Before she said thanks she asked,, why do you carry a knife like that?. I aswered back.. for moments like this. A few days later she showed me the SAK she bought herself.
-John
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

jackknifeh wrote:She's Canadian? I didn't know she was from a 3rd world country. She mentioned school. I didn't know they had schools there. Electricity too I guess. She did a video on the Manix2 also. I guess that's for fighting the grizzle bears?

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Yup which makes her cool.

Well by school she means a clearing in the woods where we all go to learn what berries and mushrooms are good to eat and which aren't. Also in the same place we are taught how to use a Spyderco Manix to defeat all wild animals from bears, to Lynx and other wild cats as well as Moose.

Then once winter comes, we have winter school where we get taught how to make igloos and ice fish.

The electricity we get by putting beavers in large hamster wheels which turn a generator. :eek:
Haha, you guys are too funny. Yes yes, I just remembered not too long ago when we finally got this new thing called 'electricity'... I was truly ecstatic and celebrated by eating a few beaver tails. It really is quite a feat to get electricity in a town full of igloos.
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

I was waiting for someone to comment on that. When I was rewatching my video I cried a little. But o well, thank goodness VG10 likes to roll around instead of getting angry and just start chipping away. ;)
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

tomoto wrote:I was waiting for someone to comment on that. When I was rewatching my video I cried a little. But o well, thank goodness VG10 likes to roll around instead of getting angry and just start chipping away. ;)
If you are going to use a knife on hard plates (like when eating) just take the razor edge and gently slide the edge along a ceramic steel or something to "take the edge off". Keep the knife at a 90 deg. angle with the steel. It dulls the edge just enough to not "roll" but it is sharp enough to cut your steak. I've done that with steak knives after sharpening them. That way they are perfect for their purpose even if they won't shave. You only need to "take the edge off" the portion of the blade that will touch the plate.

Jack
BAL

Post by BAL »

Evil D wrote:Because it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
I use this line all of the time. A CLASSIC.