Who would like to see more 2mm thick blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Who would like to see more 2mm thick blades?

Post by catamount »

One of the things I really like about my Chaparral is the thin blade. I'd love to see a :spyder: with a 2mm FFG blade around 3 1/2".

Anyone else?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

2 mm is okay, but I prefer thin blades. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would love to see 2 mm blade. Will I buy or not depends on overall design. Make Caly3/3.5 with 2mm stainless solid blade and I am in.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I marvel at the Chaparral and have no doubt it can do heavier work than its thin blade would suggest. I've already whittled some hardwoods with it, and it easily handled all the force I wanted to apply.

Still, my overall impression is that the knife is light-duty, even dainty (like a scalpel). Strange to say, my G10 Dragonfly and Squeak, having shorter but thicker blades (and shorter handles), do not strike me as dainty.

While I'm all in for the Chaparral (I look forward to the upcoming steels and scales of the series), I don't think I'd go for a longer 2mm blade. My Spydie collection tells me I'm partial to thickish blades. Hey, I still want a 4mm Superleaf!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

2 mm blade and 3 - 3.5 " blade length is a long held wish. Thanks for this thread!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

yablanowitz wrote:2 mm is okay, but I prefer thin blades. ;)
I'm with Jack.

2mm is better than thicker, but one of my dream knives is a Stretch with a 1.3mm blade like the K05's. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I like thinner blades. I would love to see a smaller version of the Chokwe (~3" blade) with a 2mm thickness. That would be one **** of a slicer!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be interested, but i'd also like to see it in a very tough steel that is less likely to chip if dropped, and could even withstand some bending/bending back if it was pushed too hard. I've read 3V is an awesome steel for this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It would be nice if I felt I could afford it. $100 plus is out of my league right now :(
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dschur

Post by dschur »

I would love to see a Caly 3.5 in full ZDP-189 (not laminated), a 2mm blade and the twill carbon fiber scales!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

dschur wrote:I would love to see a Caly 3.5 in full ZDP-189 (not laminated), a 2mm blade and the twill carbon fiber scales!
I love the idea, but I would take even VG10/G10 variant. This will be terrific slicer.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
nightburn

Post by nightburn »

I would love to see more 2mm blades. Especially in the larger variety, 3" to 3.5"

Although, to me one of the advantages of FFG is the blade offers a progressively thinner thickness as you get closer to the tip; you almost get the best of both worlds. The tip area is always extremely good at slicing but I digress, it would still be awesome to have a full 3.5" blade at 2mm thickness.

I believe a lot of us want this type of knife because we often find ourselves using our spydies for food prep, slicing cardboard, etc. Many of my daily tasks do not require 3mm to 4mm blades, I still like the longer length but do I really need the added girth? (twss)
arty

Post by arty »

I actually prefer 2.5mm in general, but I wouldn't reject a larger bladed pocket knife with a really thin blade. It depends on expected use. For fishing, I can see a 2mm blade thickness - this is about what I have on an old M2 bladed Gerber hunting knife (hard chrome plating). It is thick enough for a relatively strong blade, but good for slicing.
If a larger blade had 2mm thickness, I'd rather see less distal taper.
dschur

Post by dschur »

bh49 wrote:I love the idea, but I would take even VG10/G10 variant. This will be terrific slicer.
Yep, steel wouldn't matter and I realize mixing the Japanese ZDP-189 and the Taichung twill CF probably isn't going to happen, so I'd be fine with S30V on the twill, or peel-ply on the ZDP. I don't ask for too much :D
My current Spydercos: Military CF S90V, (2) Military CF M390, Navaja CF S30V, Superleaf CF VG-10, Manix 2 CF CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CF S90V, Paramilitary 2 CF S90V, Stretch 2 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1 CF S30V, Lum Chinese CF VG-10, Caly 3 CF ZDP-189, Chaparral CF S30V, Kiwi CF VG-10, Chicago CF S30V, Cat CF S30V, Schempp Rock VG-10, Temperance 2 VG-10 :spyder:
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

love to see some thin zdp...be a killer for slicing.
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:love to see some thin zdp...be a killer for slicing.
True, but it also has a reputation of being somewhat brittle, and thin blades tend to flex more than thicker ones, so not sure how well suited it would be for that use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I know that it was laminated for the caly jr...but that was still pretty thin.
On the hunt for...
yossarian

Post by yossarian »

+1 on the idea of some thinner blade options. Along with the other thread on narrow blades, we could get a Spyderco "Bird and Trout" type knife (folding or fixed).
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I would like certainly be interested in a 2mm blade that is 3.5 inches long. In any steel (except S30V, S35VN), but my preference would be for M390, 20CP or Super Blue. The more I use these steels, the more impressed I am with them.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

With a total lack of engineering background I think thickness has to do with length. Hence why the cento3/4 hollow grind still has some rigidity.

I'd like to see some high hollow grinds. Thin behind the edge rather than thin overall. Plus grind lines are sexy :p . Sorry FFG folks!