Messed up the edge on Delica real good

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jotobo

Messed up the edge on Delica real good

Post by jotobo »

Been trying over the years to learn how to better sharpen by hand.

I really did a number on my Delica 4 with it. Its still sharp but the edge looks like I massacred it.

What should I do?

Are there places you can trust to fix the edge?
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Put the knife and $5 in a box, get the address for Spyderco sharpening program. Buy a shipping label to that address and let them do it for you.

I got a Manix 2 DLC OOB dull as all ****. Out of all my many spydies it is the only one to have a terrible edge out of the box. I tried to "learn" how to sharpen it and only managed to destroy the tip while accidentally sliding it off of the sharpmaker rods.

I have finally learned how to sharpen pretty well, but it has come at the cost of a nice knife's edge. My knife isn't so bad spyderco can't fix it so I will send it off to them once school starts, but I learned my lesson the hard way.

Learn to sharpen on a cheap Kershaw folder or a SAK, save that Delica for when you get better.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Also, I would tape the knife's handle or something with my address, just incase they lose it... or maybe a circle of paper that is clipped on the knife?
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

A picture would help.

I've massacred many edges and have recovered from all. It's been a good learning experience for me. The more you practice while reading and learning the better you will get :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Just abrade away some more steel, and you'll be fine.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

If the damage was because of your skill needing improvement then you should send the knife to Spyderco. If your lack of skill is what caused the problem I don't think you should try to fix it using your same lack of skill. I'm not trying to be mean but someone else suggested increasing your skill on other knives and I agree 100%. I removed a lot of steel from my first ZDP-189 blade knife because I found it hard to get sharp. I kept practicing and now I have no trouble with sharpening ZDP. It was at an expense of about 1/8" lengh of my knife blade. I think the Delica should be kept usable so let Spyderco fix it and it won't be long before your sharpening improves, just keep practicing and if you get stumped on something ask the folks here on the forum. They helped me a lot to get to the skill level I have now and I'm still improving.

Jack
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

+1...If you think about it the SM is freehand only vertical vs horizontal. Key ingredient is knowing what you want to do, make the bevels meet in the middle with precision. As that point is approached a lighter touch brings better results.

I know I'm far from perfect with sharpening, but I don't think anyone is perfect with sharpening. The closer you get to the ultimate sharp the more it will elude you :) A reality of the asymptotic curve :)
Charlie

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dbcad wrote:+1...If you think about it the SM is freehand only vertical vs horizontal. Key ingredient is knowing what you want to do, make the bevels meet in the middle with precision. As that point is approached a lighter touch brings better results.

I know I'm far from perfect with sharpening, but I don't think anyone is perfect with sharpening. The closer you get to the ultimate sharp the more it will elude you :) A reality of the asymptotic curve :)
Keeping the edge in the center of the blade is very important to me. When you look at an edge and one side has a bevel that is much wider than the other that means your edge is off center and that bugs the crap out of me even though the knife is still razor sharp. It could also mean that you have different angles on each side but that's another subject.

Jack
log man

Post by log man »

One thing that can help is to felt tip pen the bevels. Then stroke the stone and see where the angle you are holding is actually cutting. I like a very sharp symmetrical edge and have been using a Wicked Edge sharpener with amazing results. I always start out with the bevels inked to make sure of my set-up.

I also always sharpen a new knife, and am surprised at how they are not symmetrical, or the same angle for the length of the blade, but all straighten out with some patience.

LOG
cckw

Post by cckw »

Send this one to Spyderco because there is so much to do on it now. They start sharpening your cheap kitchen knives and stuff like that to get it figured out. When you run out of your kitchen knives do your neighbors.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I still want to know what massacred means. If it's only extraneous scratches it's no big deal :) Is the knife sharp?, does it cut? Here's a picture of my Bushcraft to illustrate.

Despite the scratches I put on it the Bushcraft is one of the sharpest blades I have now. It's been a knife I'll keep forever since I bought it :cool:

Scratches mean use, play, and demonstrate the knife is appreciated :) Hopefully the OP will post a pic demonstrating how the edge has been massacred. If it's sharp, it's good. None of my edges are perfect and polished, far from it, but they are sharp :D
Attachments
bushcraft edge.jpg
bushcraft edge.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
Charlie

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Scratches on your knives are different from scratches on your car.....if you have a sharp knife and it has scratches...no problem....if you have scratches on a sharp car....everyone will notice....Touch up paint for the car works well....using the scratched knife more works even better.....see dbcad's bushcraft knife....it attracts me more than a brand new one.....in my book it has to be used to be appreciated....Doc ;)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jason yao

Post by jason yao »

you should send it to edge pro or wicked edge they will take care of it and just so you know edge pro if a lot faster.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I say keep practicing. If you give up now you won't never learn nothing. <gotta love being from the south. I learned how to free hand sharpen and think its a good skil to learn and master but I've also been sharpening free hand since I was 11. I'm 24 now so I've got a few years on me. I used to use a ceramic rod from an old light bulb and some kind of gas choke tube my dad got off shore. Only in the past 3 years or so have I started with coarse abrasives and my sharpening level has greatly improved. Now I actually change grits and start coarse to fine. it makes me feel good to know I'm the reason my knife splits hairs.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Keep practicing and even the worst mistakes can be fixed. It might not look pretty, but it can be made to cut very well.

My first try at sharpening with paper wheels turned out very badly. And I should have practiced more on cheaper blades before going to the Delica. But in the end, it turned into a wicked slicer that ate cardboard like no saber-grind Delica had a right to be. ;) It's all part of learning our hobby.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
BAL

Post by BAL »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:Put the knife and $5 in a box, get the address for Spyderco sharpening program. Buy a shipping label to that address and let them do it for you.
I would agree with Aaron, except buy a shipping label to MY address.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I would also like to see a picture of the particular knife in question. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jotobo

Post by jotobo »

I dont have a camera that will take a good enough picture.

Basically its like an uneven edge the whole way up and down the blade. All kinds of crazy angles.

Its still sharp but not that sharp. Im sure thats caused by the uneven angle.

Its like that on both sides as well.

Ive tried to Google images of what it looks like but I cant find anything.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

If you feel you have to, avail yourself of Spyderco resharpening, especially if the result will make you feel better :) I've been very tempted to do the same thing :) If you want to persevere and get it done yourself It make be a good idea to look at some guided/jig systems like the SM and for me the DMT Aligner kit. I'm kind of stubborn that way myself :)

Folks here are always willing to offer suggestions and better ways to go. Listening and reading for me have been invaluable in my being able to get decent edges. Knowing the material and how it likes to react is also very helpful.

Keep trying and you'll get there. I told myself when I started buying these knives that I would have to learn how to maintain them. That mostly means sharpen. Don't give up, rather look for different ways to achieve the same goal.
Charlie