Combo Edges: Like or Hate?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSquared

Re: Combo Edges: Like or Hate?

Post by PSquared »

I'm not a fan of combo edges generally but have a few from years ago that still get some carry time occasionally.

I will however say that on knives larger than say a Dragonfly, I prefer my serrated edges to have about half an inch of plain edge at the tip (like the Salt 1 for example) rather than serrations all the way to the tip (like a Rescue) - I suppose this is a combo edge of sorts?

(from left to right : Delica 1, Delica 3, Endura 4, Salt 1, Caly 3, Native 3 - Delica 3 and Native 3 are my preferred)

Anyway, my preferred carry options are in order of preference :
Plain edge
Serrated with a small bit of PE at the tip
Combo edge
Serrated all the way to the tip
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

PSquared,I would agree with your order of edge options, well said. Enjoyed the pic too! I guess for those that think the CE edges are a waste of materials and happen to embarrassingly own one or more (probably like new condition) I have a solution for your problem...just send them to me! Just kidding (unless of course you really want too). Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. It's not like the CE blade is my favorite option, its just that sometimes (for me) they are a decent option for my planned activity.
s110v "Blurple" Knives: PM 2, Manix 2, Native 5
ZDP-189 Knives: BRG Dragonfly 2, BRG Stretch FRN, Brn G10 Stretch 2, BRG Ladybug,
BRG Manbug
VG-10 Knives: Gray Delica, Brown Endura, Foliage Green Endura combo blade,
Black FRN Stretch, Purple Delica, Black FRN serrated Stretch, Black FRN CE Stretch
H1 Knives: Dragonfly 2
Damascus DPS 15 VG-10 Knives: Titanium Damascus Delica
M4 Knives: Bradley Folder 2
Deep Carry Clips: Casey Lynch, 5 short, 4 long
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If I still had it, I would send it right to you, free. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

Jazz you are a funny one! Really looking forward to that Wharncliffe Delica, I wonder if it will be offered in a combo edge? :rolleyes:
ZDP-189 Knives: BRG Dragonfly 2, BRG Stretch FRN, Brn G10 Stretch 2, BRG Ladybug,
BRG Manbug
Black FRN Stretch, Purple Delica, Black FRN serrated Stretch, Black FRN CE Stretch
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Still Working wrote:Jazz you are a funny one! Really looking forward to that Wharncliffe Delica, I wonder if it will be offered in a combo edge? :rolleyes:
Part of me would die laughing if it were only offered in CE lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have come to my own personal conclusion that a folder needs to be at least the size of an ENDURA or STRETCH or anything as big or bigger to get the full benefit of a combo edge. A Delica model with a combo edge would be somewhat annoying to me and would serve little purpose.

Overall I think there are advantages and certainly disadvantages to combo-edged folder>> and combo edged fixed blades too for that matter.

Also I'm wishing at some point that Spyderco would start looking into different serration patterns because I personally would like to have a combo-edged blade the size of the C-36 Military with a rounded/wavy type of serration pattern like you see with Spyderco's K-04 & K-05 models. The spikey serrations like the ones on the Japan made models do tend to snag up at times. And I tend to like the overall performance of the serrations on Spyderco's culinary knives rather than the ones they are currently using on those models.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The least beneficial part of the CE E4 and D4 is the crappy saber grind that comes with. FFG CEs are far superior
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:The least beneficial part of the CE E4 and D4 is the crappy saber grind that comes with. FFG CEs are far superior
Yeah "TBD" I would have to fully agree with you there ;) That's why two of my very favorite Combo Edged Spyders which by the way are also two of my very favorite fully serrated models>> those models are the C-54 big Calypso and the original 440V Military model.

EVIL D made that observation quite some time back when he said that the best functioning Spyders with a full Spyderedge were the "full flat grind" models. He also had examples of a few models he had those experiences with. I will go as far to say that the same rule very much applies to Combo-edges as well.

Now there are a couple of hollow grind Spyders that I also thought that were really great Spyderedged models and those are the C-60 Ayoob and the JD Smith models. I also think that blade design and overall blade geometry plays a large role on how different edge types perform.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Hate. I usually like a plain edge, but sometimes like a serrated edge, but always hate having not enough of either. They are fine for mainstream consumption, and I would be that the bulk of the best selling models are in combo edge, but I say nein danke.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Scottie3000 wrote:Hate. I usually like a plain edge, but sometimes like a serrated edge, but always hate having not enough of either. They are fine for mainstream consumption, and I would be that the bulk of the best selling models are in combo edge, but I say nein danke.
And "Scottie" I can certainly understand why you feel that way. But do consider that someone who works with a lot of rope and/or cordage can find combo edges rather handy at times. It really seems like that very few hard core knife user like the guys and gals you see here and at other knife forums also like full PE or full SE blades. And like I also said previously combo edges really need to be on longer blades to have any signifcant usefullness at all IMO.

I too like a full Spyderedge for when I need a blade with teeth and I also like a full sized model like the MILITARY, AYOOB, JD Smith and even the ENDURA>> because the longer a plain edged blade is the better I can work with it. That's why I tend to gravitate toward Spyderco's full sized models just like the ones I just mentioned.

But the reason I started this thread was to try to find out whether or not combo edges had some uses that I may have overlooked. I guess that's why the original C-44 Dyad ( Spyderco's full sized double-bladed model PE & SE) has for years been at the top of my list of favorites. But yet not one combo-edge has ever made it on to my JD's Top 10 list.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

JD Spydo wrote: And "Scottie" I can certainly understand why you feel that way. But do consider that someone who works with a lot of rope and/or cordage can find combo edges rather handy at times. It really seems like that very few hard core knife user like the guys and gals you see here and at other knife forums also like full PE or full SE blades. And like I also said previously combo edges really need to be on longer blades to have any signifcant usefullness at all IMO.

I too like a full Spyderedge for when I need a blade with teeth and I also like a full sized model like the MILITARY, AYOOB, JD Smith and even the ENDURA>> because the longer a plain edged blade is the better I can work with it. That's why I tend to gravitate toward Spyderco's full sized models just like the ones I just mentioned.

But the reason I started this thread was to try to find out whether or not combo edges had some uses that I may have overlooked. I guess that's why the original C-44 Dyad ( Spyderco's full sized double-bladed model PE & SE) has for years been at the top of my list of favorites. But yet not one combo-edge has ever made it on to my JD's Top 10 list.
There is nothing wrong with liking combo edge or them being available. It seems that most enthusiasts really prefer plain edge as the loins share of premium models and sprints are plain. If you only have one knife cut cordage in addition to other tasks, I suppose CE is fine, but in that case, I'd just carry two separate knives, one PE, one SE.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

"Hate" is a rather strong word. To me its more of a "dislike".
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

Pretty sure if I only owned one knife it would be a plain edge. Still, maybe just for variety, I do own a few combo edges. I think the FFG might be worth exploring. Still no solid info on what would be the "ultimate" steel for the CE blade. I am not suggesting they are the best blade design, but if someone wanted the best CE blade steel, considering work hardening, chisel blade thinness of the serrations, sharpening, edge retention, chipping, etc. What might that be?
BRG Manbug
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Still Working wrote:Pretty sure if I only owned one knife it would be a plain edge. Still, maybe just for variety, I do own a few combo edges. I think the FFG might be worth exploring. Still no solid info on what would be the "ultimate" steel for the CE blade. I am not suggesting they are the best blade design, but if someone wanted the best CE blade steel, considering work hardening, chisel blade thinness of the serrations, sharpening, edge retention, chipping, etc. What might that be?
The ideal blade steel for a combo-edge? That's an interesting point because really I'm not sure how to answer that. Because I've discovered over the past 5 years or so that a lot of the blade steels that leave a lot to be desired for plain edged performance in a lot of cases turn out to be great blade steels for Spyderedges. Good examples of ideal Spyderedged blade steels are GIN-1, AUS-8, ATS-55, 440V and a few others. Most of those steels like I said don't seem to do very well in plain edge compared to many of the newer/better blade steels we've been blessed with in recent years.

There is one blade steel however that I'll say that I've had great luck with in both edge types and that is good ol' VG-10. And maybe that would be the ideal blade steel for a combo edge. Some of the super hard, high performance blade steels like ZDP-189 is truly excellent for plain edges but Spyderco even said as much that it didn't make a very good steel for Spyderedged blades.

I'm going to let some others tell us which blade steel that they like in combo-edge. But I can safely say that VG-10 has worked well for me no matter what type of blade or edge type they used.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

JD Spydo wrote:
Still Working wrote:Pretty sure if I only owned one knife it would be a plain edge. Still, maybe just for variety, I do own a few combo edges. I think the FFG might be worth exploring. Still no solid info on what would be the "ultimate" steel for the CE blade. I am not suggesting they are the best blade design, but if someone wanted the best CE blade steel, considering work hardening, chisel blade thinness of the serrations, sharpening, edge retention, chipping, etc. What might that be?
The ideal blade steel for a combo-edge? That's an interesting point because really I'm not sure how to answer that. Because I've discovered over the past 5 years or so that a lot of the blade steels that leave a lot to be desired for plain edged performance in a lot of cases turn out to be great blade steels for Spyderedges. Good examples of ideal Spyderedged blade steels are GIN-1, AUS-8, ATS-55, 440V and a few others. Most of those steels like I said don't seem to do very well in plain edge compared to many of the newer/better blade steels we've been blessed with in recent years.

There is one blade steel however that I'll say that I've had great luck with in both edge types and that is good ol' VG-10. And maybe that would be the ideal blade steel for a combo edge. Some of the super hard, high performance blade steels like ZDP-189 is truly excellent for plain edges but Spyderco even said as much that it didn't make a very good steel for Spyderedged blades.

I'm going to let some others tell us which blade steel that they like in combo-edge. But I can safely say that VG-10 has worked well for me no matter what type of blade or edge type they used.
Another vote for VG10 on the combo edge front....though that may just be nostalgia as my first Spydie was (is still!) a Delica 3 in VG10 combo edge.

I've an S30v Military in Combo edge which has taken a real beating over the years and still does the job
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

I kind of settled in on vg10 with an Endura Foliage Green, and I was able to find a CE Stretch too, hopefully it's on the way. I picked those first just on what I have read on this Forum in different threads and because I have those in plain edge and know what to expect. The Endura is the sabre grind and the Stretch should be FFG I think. Those two knives I feel have enough blade to be useful in a CE blade. I have no other evidence that there is a better steel for a CE blade, but I am toying with the idea of a Manix 2 just because its s30v steel (thanks demoncase) and just might be ok size wise. I wonder if super steels just don't make sense due to brittleness, tough to sharpen, or some other characteristic. This seems like an interesting topic with the CE blade, not as clear cut (see what I did there?) as steel choices based on preferences for plain and serrated blades.
BRG Manbug
awa54

Post by awa54 »

In theory I like the concept of CE, but in use I find it far underperforms PE for my needs.

I know that serrated blades have their place, it's just not in my pocket... my only serrated knife that gets any use is a bread knife :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I prefer to carry them separated, a PE, a SE and a SAW (usually ona a SAK or MT) are my most carried combos

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:I prefer to carry them separated, a PE, a SE and a SAW (usually ona a SAK or MT) are my most carried combos
Peacent I think it's safe to say that with all the cutlery/artillery that you own you really have no legitimate need for a combo edge :rolleyes: :D

Yes Brother you are certainly well equipped ;)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I also prefer the less snagworthy serration pattern found on the culinary knives. In a different thread I recall Sal stating something to the effect that the Seki serrations perform better after several resharpenings on the Sharpmaker, and that rounding of the points was a key element in this improvement.