Only 1 spyder folder in your bug out bag.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
coonan

Only 1 spyder folder in your bug out bag.

Post by coonan »

Well it it's happened, the dollar has collapsed, food is scarce, unrest in the larger cities and metro areas and it's time to grab your bug out bag and head for the less populated rural areas. The one and only knife you now have in your bag Is a Spyderco folder that you can not sell - trade or give away.What would it be.And why?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Oh boy, here we go again with the one knife only scenario....
catamount

Post by catamount »

For the scenario you described, I'd pick the soon to be released LionSpy. Of the the knives I have right now, it'd be my original C95 Manix. Vallotton would be my second choice.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Ay chuck, take it easy on the fella, I imagine these threads are fun for newer members. Besides, we both know you've thought about this question before :D

Coonan - mine would probably be a military in s90v (I don't own it). If it had to be one I owned, it would probably be my regular millie. Good slicer, easy to clean with open construction, and enough blade to double as a good sd tool should it be needed!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Evrina Kopa Sal had scrimmed for me by Linda Karst-Stone, because I treasure it.

Of course, I'd also have a Stretch in my back pocket, a Kiwi in my watch pocket, a Boker Combat Smatchet on my hip, and a Szabofly in my left boot. And guns, lots of guns.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

pmbspyder wrote:Ay chuck, take it easy on the fella, I imagine these threads are fun for newer members. Besides, we both know you've thought about this question before :D

LOL, that is easy. :D

But the one I'd have is most probably the one I'm left with. If SHTF, I'm not sure we can still be making choices. And if we can still make choices, then I'm sure we'd take more than one. ;)
jossta

Post by jossta »

I realistically have my laptop bag on my at all times. In which case I would probably have something even beefier than the Gayle Bradley in my pocket. If I was at home, I would take my M4 Millie and whatever was in my bag (Strider GB right now). If I wasn't at home, would be my Gayle Bradley most likely since that's what I'd have on me. Wouldn't be upset about it either.

If I had my choice of any model, it would be the Tuff or LionSpy. C95 is sweet, but harder to clean.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Well, since it is a "Bug Out" bag, how about the aptly named Spyderco Bug? :D

Okay, now to get serious. Since I can only take one knife and I'm going to have survival on my mind and not the pleasure side of owning a variety of knives, it would have to be my Orange Military. Tough, lightweight, easy to find and clean. I think it would be up to just about any task I would need. It wouldn't fill the void left of owning and enjoying my other Spydies, but hey this is about survival!
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Of the ones I own: XHP Manix 2
Of any Spydie: Tuff
If you hadn't limited it to a folder: Rock Salt
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

C-44 the Do-All Blade

Post by JD Spydo »

That's an easy one>> For a Spyder folder it would be my C-44 big Dyad model. For a fixed blade it is my original FB-05 Temperance model.

What scares the **** out of me I beileve that scenerio you described is about to come upon us shortly ( GOD help us :( ).

You had better have several blades and equipment to sharpen them in a survival scenerio
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I will take the Chinook this time. Should be able to take care of my needs.
Then I will head to the guys with the guns and greet them with the secret Spyderco handshake.
unit

Post by unit »

I would imagine that the skills are far more important than whatever knife I would select. That said, I probably lack the skills to survive in any long term situation that limits me to a single folding knife.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

In the B.O.B. will be my Carpenter Para2, serrated Atlantic Salt, and one of my Mules.

Taking a cue from Doc, I'll try to stash another dozen or so blades on my person in order to ward off the zombie apocolypse.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I would have to say my Superleaf
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
phaust

Post by phaust »

M4 Millie
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I'll play...Para 2 (folder)

Bushcraft (fixed)
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

In the scenario described, you don't want just one knife. You want to be loaded for bear. (Or, loaded for zombie.)
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I'm always amazed at how much thought I put into these threads, as I come up with a different answer each time. I suppose that speaks to the fact that most all my spydercos will do very well in a B.O.B. By the way, I don't mind these threads so long as they come up only once a month or so.

After today's ponderances I'd say my GB. Sweet steel, robust design, and a nice hollow grind.

If given the option of a fixed blade: Warrior

P.S. I can't wait until I can say Lionspy.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

In a situation like that, you are probably going to be using a knife for more than cutting rope and peeling apples, so I would want good edge retention, but tough, long as possible blade and sturdy.

I think that I would take a M4 Military. It might be wrong handed for me, but I think that given the fact that I would likely call on it to do many things some of which would be rather abusive...M4 is the way to go. At least in Spyderco steels and existing knives.
On the hunt for...
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Probably an Endura saber grind with Black FRN.

I think this knife has proved itself, but it would/should last anyone a long time.

But in reality, I'd be taking a fixed blade. Probably 1/4" thick blade.

I would be able to do almost anything with this blade...

Sorry its not a Spyderco, but I wish Spyderco made this type of knife...
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!