heat treatment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
navajasound

heat treatment

Post by navajasound »

Just curious what temperature will spoil the heat treatment of a blade ? For example S30v steel or any cold working steel . Tell me what do you think or know on that question . :)
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

More than boiling water. I'd say that 250 F starts pushing the envelope. I'm not sure about work hardening steels like H1, though.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Hardness will be effected when you reach tempering temperatures.
Roughly 200 degrees Celcius, about 390 Fahrenheit.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

Frapiscide wrote:More than boiling water. I'd say that 250 F starts pushing the envelope. I'm not sure about work hardening steels like H1, though.
H1 isn't hardened through heat treatment. It's compressed so I'm not sure if heat has any effect on it.
The temperature to mess up the heat treat is higher than 212 otherwise people would have bad blades after dyeing their knives.
Spyder Count: 7
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

I_like_sharp_things wrote:H1 isn't hardened through heat treatment. It's compressed so I'm not sure if heat has any effect on it.
The temperature to mess up the heat treat is higher than 212 otherwise people would have bad blades after dyeing their knives.
I take my scales off when I dye
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr
navajasound

Post by navajasound »

I_like_sharp_things wrote:H1 isn't hardened through heat treatment. It's compressed so I'm not sure if heat has any effect on it.
What do you mean with that (dyeing ) . Is it painting ? that is a new word for me and I cannot translate it .
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

When your blade starts turning orange your edge holding will be toast :eek:

Don't think a hair dryer would do it though :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

navajasound wrote:What do you mean with that (dyeing ) . Is it painting ? that is a new word for me and I cannot translate it .
Something like painting. It's what you do to color cloth and Easter eggs, among other things. Often done by dipping the thing being dyed into a container of boiling liquid containing the dye. Folks have found it works on light colored FRN and G-10 handles.

As for the temperature needed to ruin heat treat, the starting point for that would be where Piet.S said, around 200º Celcius or 390º Fahrenheit. So it would take an open flame, extreme friction as during grinding or buffing, or some other source of high heat like an oven, to ruin temper.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

I'm no metallurgist, but does that mean that H1 isn't affected (as much) by high heat?
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Frapiscide wrote:I'm no metallurgist, but does that mean that H1 isn't affected (as much) by high heat?
I would agree. Exposing most things to extreme heat or cold will change the way it performs on a molecular level.

Simple solution is avoiding turning up the thermostat to 390 degrees. Will keep the energy bill lower too.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Blerv wrote:Simple solution is avoiding turning up the thermostat to 390 degrees. Will keep the energy bill lower too.
Good advice :D

If you let the materials get to tempering temperatures, their molecular structures will change and will affect their properties. I do like Blerv's solution best though :) Best not to stick your hardened blade in a hot oven for a long period of time.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Right around 400 Degrees F could have an effect on the tempering.