Superhawk/Superleaf blade swap (or scale swap)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dschur

Superhawk/Superleaf blade swap (or scale swap)?

Post by dschur »

Has anyone ever swapped the blade (or alternatively the scales) between the Superleaf and the Superhawk?

I love the peel-ply CF scales of the Superleaf, but I think I'd like the blade shape (and gimping) of the Superleaf better on a day-to-day basis (sorry hawkbill fans, it just seems difficult to slice an apple with one or other food). I'd also prefer the low-ride clip of the Superleaf.

So I was wondering, has anyone ever swapped the blade? Are there any issues that present themselves? They look almost identical. Alternatively if there were lock geometry changes engaging with the tang, I wonder if the scales could be swapped.

Call me nutty, but I just might try it myself.

A borrowed pic showing them side-by-side:

Queue Miley Cyrus "best of both worlds"...
casey1

Post by casey1 »

looks like it'd work. Wouldn't hurt to try... maybe :)
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I compared mine side-by-side. The Hawk scales are a bit thicker I think, but I don't see anything that would negate a blade swap. I say go for it. I would like to see the end result.
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Well, what happened? Are they swappable? I have a Superleaf. Thinking of buying a Superhawk. Would like to know.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I oil forward to your findings.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
catamount

Post by catamount »

Yes, I have done it successfully. The thinner G-10 scales make the wider Superhawk nicer to carry, and I also prefer the CF on the Superleaf.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Thanks for letting us know.
dschur

Post by dschur »

Yes I did not have an issue with the swap. I was unable to swap just the scales though as they did not match perfectly the liners of the other knife (I think they are machined together). Also, the SuperHawk is slightly thinner as it users thinner spacers and has thinner bronze washers.

In essence I wound up switching just the blade and keeping the spacers, so I have the liners, stand-offs, scales and spacers of the SuperHawk, and the Blade of the SuperLeaf. I then sold off the G-10 Hawk blade, recovering most of my costs and now I am left with one of my favorite knives, a custom CF scaled SuperLeaf with a black clip!
My current Spydercos: Military CF S90V, (2) Military CF M390, Navaja CF S30V, Superleaf CF VG-10, Manix 2 CF CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CF S90V, Paramilitary 2 CF S90V, Stretch 2 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1 CF S30V, Lum Chinese CF VG-10, Caly 3 CF ZDP-189, Chaparral CF S30V, Kiwi CF VG-10, Chicago CF S30V, Cat CF S30V, Schempp Rock VG-10, Temperance 2 VG-10 :spyder: