Hawkbill Uses? Let'

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Hawkbill Uses? Let'

Post by JD Spydo »

It's been a while ( a long while at that) since we've done a thread exclusive to the multifaceted uses of Hawkbill blades. Most of us find uses through trial and error and by happenstance.

Also I've found Hawkbills better than standard blades by chance and by using what was handy at the time. Hawkbills are gaining in popularity and different uses are discovered almost daily.

What uses do you use your Spyderco Hawkbill ( or any competitor's Hawkbill for that matter) for and how long have most of you actually used them?

What new uses have any of you recently discovered for them which actually surprised you to find out they were efficient at doing? What everyday practical uses do most of you use them for?

Also you can list Self Defense uses as well. And tell us what occupation you use them for. OK let's make a list >> JD :spyder: O
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I read someone on here talking about using the hawkbill SE in gardening, and I wasn't sure what to think about that until I tried it. It really works GREAT when trimming weeds/small branches while I am mowing or working in the yard. No sawing action required, just hold the weeds / branches with one hand and PULL the hawkbill back towards myself, cuts very effortlessly.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Gardening is a traditional use for hawbills. Just Google “pruning knives” and you’ll receive a plethora of hits on hawkbill styled knives.

I’ve used a hawkbills for clearing outboard motor props fouled with hydrilla weed and fishing line. Usually tilt the motor up, reach out, hook the tangled mess and pull.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I often use my Cricket (sort of a hawkbill) to remove wrist bands. The curvature of the back of the blade helps from poking yourself when sliding it next to your skin.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
angusW

Post by angusW »

At work whenever I have to use the brushcutter that has plastic blades, I have to use my se Tasman on small trees and branches that the brushcutter just cannot effectively attack.

Just last week I started carrying my PE Spyderhawk ,after a long hiatus, and used is to skin a 19 conductor cable. Worked pretty good.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:I often use my Cricket (sort of a hawkbill) to remove wrist bands. The curvature of the back of the blade helps from poking yourself when sliding it next to your skin.
Sure you can classify Reverse-S blades such as the Cricket, Matriarch, Civilian ect as a Hawkbill blade. They really are in many aspects and have some of the same cutting abilities. I will even go as far as classify the Dodo as a Hawkbill of sorts.

In some cutting jobs the Reverse-S blades seem to have some advantages. Most of them have a slicing action that is superior to most Hawkbills. I have in the past used my Matriarch as an EDC for such stuff but due to it's rarity I don't carry it much anymore.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

rodloos wrote:I read someone on here talking about using the hawkbill SE in gardening, and I wasn't sure what to think about that until I tried it. It really works GREAT when trimming weeds/small branches while I am mowing or working in the yard. No sawing action required, just hold the weeds / branches with one hand and PULL the hawkbill back towards myself, cuts very effortlessly.
That was probably me, since that is my primary hawkbill use. I also use my Ladybug Salt Hawkbill (geez, the name is bigger than the knife) for breaking down boxes without damage so they can be re-used. I've used them for stripping wire and splitting Romex jacket as well.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
grg

Post by grg »

I primarily use my hawk bill for cutting shrubs weeds,and such.I use a tasman salt serrated,it works great.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Hawkbill knives have been the traditional style for roofers, flooring, carpet workers for a very long time!

I particularly like this last design, due to the 'cable/string/wire cutter' built-in! Hey, JD! Here is a pretty good candidate for the fixed-blade hawkbill thread!

As with any type of knife, care should be taken to ensure you ONLY cut that which was meant to be cut!
(WARNING! NSFW, small children or the squeemish!)
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/picture. ... ureid=1292

YIKES! That had to hurt!
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
JD Spydo

What a find!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

Bohica you rascal :D !!! Where in the heck did you get that Buck linoleum knife :D I got one of those myself after looking for almost 2 years. I thought I was the only one in the northern hemisphere that even still had one :eek:

I do like that line up that you've presented us because it sure makes non-Hawkbill people try to think out of the box and consider the wide array of jobs that can be done with them. Because historically they've been around for ages and Spyderco brought them into the new century to be sure.

Knowledge is power and knowledge enables folks to consider some things that they've never thought of before. Because the Hawkbill blade sure suffers from a public relations crisis to be sure. It's time for some education about the curved wonders that Spyderco has made available to us.
maded

Post by maded »

Mako109 wrote:Gardening is a traditional use for hawbills. Just Google “pruning knives” and you’ll receive a plethora of hits on hawkbill styled knives.

I’ve used a hawkbills for clearing outboard motor props fouled with hydrilla weed and fishing line. Usually tilt the motor up, reach out, hook the tangled mess and pull.
Just poking my nose in here... A scythe is a gardening tool right? And that's a "hawkbill" too...
PHAS_95

Post by PHAS_95 »

how good are hawkbills at slicing food? Would one be good for food prep. (slicing onions and peppers) on a canoe trip?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I use my ladybug salt hawkbill in the kitchen quite a bit due to the rinse and forget nature of the steel, but it isn't the most practical for slicing food. Not that I haven't used it for that before, but my Millie does the job much easier.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

Useful for general cutting, but not culinary

Post by JD Spydo »

PHAS_95 wrote:how good are hawkbills at slicing food? Would one be good for food prep. (slicing onions and peppers) on a canoe trip?
There are some types of food processing that Hawkbills are good for. Like trimming onions and garlic for instance. But as far as being a premium culinary knife I don't tout them for that type of cutting chore.

Opening all kinds of packaging is one cutting job they are good for. There are some jobs in the kitchen that Hawkbills do come in handy. But they are not a kitchen knife per se.

I have used my Spyderhawk for cutting up Brocolli, Calliflour, Brussel Sprouts and a few other hard to cut veggies.