Hawkbills...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jesting Devil

Hawkbills...

Post by Jesting Devil »

Ok all you guys who love hawkbills... I concede... you win!

Just got a cheapo nameless chinese karambit to mess with and even though its not super sharp this blade shape cuts like nothing I have ever seen!!! I took a swipe at a pizza box and went "OMFG!!!" :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm convinced I need a good quality one now! :spyder:

I needed a ladybug anyway so thats an easy choice for a first one and I'm thinking a Tasman as well at some point... :D

I know theres a lot of hawkbill fans around here and I just wanted to share this revelation with you all :) :cool:
JD Spydo

Welcome to the clan

Post by JD Spydo »

Well Jesting Devil we're glad to have you aboard :D May I recommend a pair of Tasmans to start out with. Unless you would be lucky enough to grab one of the early series G-10 handled Harpys. I would recommend you get one in each edge variant (plain edge and Spyderedge :cool :) .

You definitely eventually want a Spyderhawk in H-1. I'm telling you that Hawkbills truly do grow on you and the only way to be sold is to get one and see first hand how well they work.

Please do check out my current thread about our desire for a Fixed Blade Hawkbill. Or if you got a lot of reading time you could dig up the old thread Now's The Time: For a New Hawkbill :eek: . It would be a good way to get up to speed on our "in House" Hawkbill society here at Spyderville USA :cool: :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Don't think you can just get one either! They tend to grow on you. :D
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

favorite blade shape. wish spyderco would expand the lineup!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If the rest of society would get on the bandwagon they would, sigh.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They definitely have their uses...just don't try to skin a deer with one ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Specific cutting jobs

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:They definitely have their uses...just don't try to skin a deer with one ;)
Good point Evil D :) First and foremost all knives regardless of design, geometry, grind type, or size are very simply tools. Hawkbill knives are tools designed for certain cutting chores and are not much good for many other types of cutting jobs.

But for many arduous, rough and demanding cutting jobs they do a great job. Pull cutting can actually be safer in many respects and can give you the user some other advantages as well.

But what Hawkbills are good at they are very good at doing
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Forgive me, but I've always thought that hawkbills were designed to be used to cut rope and such, and that the serrations on it would make it hard to use for camping, which is what my knives usually are used for. That, and an array of other everyday things.

Will a serrated hawkbill work for camping? I've always preferred a PE, "normal" knife, because of the blade shape, and that I can't really imagine much use for SE that PE couldn't do, but I can imagine a host of things SE couldn't do. (shave branches, open letters, slice paper, cut meat/fish.etc)
JD Spydo

Hawkbill uses? Many!!

Post by JD Spydo »

Minibear453 wrote:Forgive me, but I've always thought that hawkbills were designed to be used to cut rope and such, and that the serrations on it would make it hard to use for camping, which is what my knives usually are used for. That, and an array of other everyday things.

Will a serrated hawkbill work for camping? I've always preferred a PE, "normal" knife, because of the blade shape, and that I can't really imagine much use for SE that PE couldn't do, but I can imagine a host of things SE couldn't do. (shave branches, open letters, slice paper, cut meat/fish.etc)
Good questions Minibear and I will say that there probably isn't one good specific answer. Because I've personally discovered many hawkbill uses by just trial and error. For instance I had no idea how well Hawkbills would work on most fibrous materials ( other than rope) I was utterly amazed at how well they work on very tough/ridgid industrial nylon for instance.

I even used my G-10 Harpy to finish splitting the shell of a snapping turtle that we field dressed. And the differences between plain edged Hawks and Spyderedged Hawks are day and night in some chores.

I'm still finding different uses for them constantly. I guess I need to start a thread on "Hawkbill Uses" and I will immediately.

BUT DON"T KILL THIS THREAD because we can still learn more in this topic.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Evil D wrote:They definitely have their uses...just don't try to skin a deer with one ;)
Funny you say that. Last year I forgot my hunting knife with me and what do you know, I got a deer. I always have a SE blade with me, and back then it was.the harpy. I worked very well opening the deer up, cutting the esophagus, and butt out. Everything else was a challenge, but I got the job done. :D

Skinning would be another story though.
lamorak

Post by lamorak »

An H1 UKPK Hawkbill would be nice so I would get to carry one as edc. (Waiting for the orange UKPK Rescue in the mean time.)
:spyder: count: 50, first: Atlantic Salt, latest: Dodo, edc: Urban, waiting for: Techno
Jesting Devil

Post by Jesting Devil »

JD Spydo wrote:Well Jesting Devil we're glad to have you aboard :D May I recommend a pair of Tasmans to start out with. Unless you would be lucky enough to grab one of the early series G-10 handled Harpys. I would recommend you get one in each edge variant (plain edge and Spyderedge :cool :) .

You definitely eventually want a Spyderhawk in H-1. I'm telling you that Hawkbills truly do grow on you and the only way to be sold is to get one and see first hand how well they work.

Please do check out my current thread about our desire for a Fixed Blade Hawkbill. Or if you got a lot of reading time you could dig up the old thread Now's The Time: For a New Hawkbill :eek: . It would be a good way to get up to speed on our "in House" Hawkbill society here at Spyderville USA :cool: :)
Thanks for the welcome and suggestion! Those Tasmans are deeeefinitely in the future when funds permit :p

CURSES! Another wonderful blade type that I need to have more of... :D :(
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, Hawkbills, pretty.

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Ya gotta get yourself a Tasman...and a Spyderhawk for that matter...don't know what I'd do without my hawks..
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
BAL

Post by BAL »

Nice collection Sithus1966, Love the red spyderhawk, nice dye job.
PHAS_95

Post by PHAS_95 »

how good are hawkbillls at food prep? Do they slice onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc. ? On canoe trips thats the main use of a knife. I'm thinking of getting either a sage 3, tasman salt se, or a aqua salt se for diving and canoe trips. Sage wouldn't get much use though but it's awesome. Help?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, i'm sure you could slice with a hawk bill, but ask yourself...how many cooking shows have you ever seen where the host used a hawk bill knive? ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

The Harpy is a good Hawk to start out with

Post by JD Spydo »

PHAS_95 wrote:how good are hawkbillls at food prep? Do they slice onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc. ? On canoe trips thats the main use of a knife. I'm thinking of getting either a sage 3, tasman salt se, or a aqua salt se for diving and canoe trips. Sage wouldn't get much use though but it's awesome. Help?
Hawkbills are not culinary knives per se but you will find them useful for many types of food processing. Mainly what I like them for in the kitchen is for opening all types of packaging and boxes.

Last month I used my Harpy to open a very tight netted package that they had a frozen turkey wrapped up in.

there are jobs in the kitchen that pull cutting is very useful but they are not a culinary knife that chefs or other professionals would recommend. When you do encounter a job that pull cutting will work well you will be glad you have one. The Harpy is such a good Hawkbill to start out for that and other reasons.