big brother for dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
r small

big brother for dragonfly

Post by r small »

I've been looking for a knife that has the same features as the dragonfly (choil, wire clip, backlock, etc.) but is a little bigger. Something that bears about the same relationship to the dragonfly as the endura does to the delica. I thought I had found it with the Caly 3 and was about to pull the trigger when I found out that the caly uses riveted construction rather than screws. I like the ability to disassemble my knives (even though I never have) so the rivets were a deal killer. I would have thought that a knife in this class and price range would have screws. I wonder if down the road the caly will be upgraded to have screws rather than rivets. If so I will be first in line to buy one. Meanwhile the search for a big brother to my dragonfly continues.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Take a look at the soon to be released Chaparral.
:bug-red-white
r small

Post by r small »

Yeah the chaparral looks interesting. But I'm looking for something in the 3" blade range. Still I might get a chaparral at some point.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I don't think there really is anything quite like that you will probably have to give up one of those features at least. If you are not bothered by having a lock, you could look at the UKPK.

Maybe a Native?
On the hunt for...
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Well, you still can take Caly 3 apart (blade away from handle only though).
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I think it's silly to skip the Caly just because you want to potentially be able to take it apart, even though you never have and probably never will...

The Caly is, IMO, one of the finest production blades in existence, with amazing quality in materials and craftsmanship. It does have a large torx screw for the pivot, so it is adjustable and the blade can be removed. Spyderco has a great warranty, and any repair that might be needed should surely be provided by them. Just my opinion.

I agree, the Chaparral looks to have similar features--I can't wait to get one to carry, I have a feeling it will be my go-to for tame/gentlemanly EDC.

PS-The Caly 3 will never use torx construction. It uses pins because they wanted to keep the handle as thin as possible, for compact and comfortable carry. Like I said, the pivot is a torx screw, which is the important thing IMO. Switching to torx isn't always necessarily an "upgrade".

PPS-Native would fit too, but has all pinned construction (Native 5 would be good, I can't wait for that knife also).

If you like slip-its, the Urban and UKPK fit also--they both have a very nice, stiff backspring which makes for a pretty strong pressure keeping it open.
r small

Post by r small »

If the pinned construction makes it possible to make the handle thinner than on, say, the delica, that might outweigh the fact that the knife can't be disassembled. I find that my delica is fairly comfortable to carry (usually IWB) but I always know it's there. So something with a thinner handle could be nice.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

There's also the Stretch...
But Caly 3.5 is really the cat's meow.
—Daniel Jackson
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Caly has a screwed pivot. I've always cleaned with oil and air personally.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I strongly second the comment by The Mentaculous re the Caly 3. I have a number of Spydercos in my EDC rotation but every time I clip the Caly 3 (original G-10) to my pocket (which is most of the time) or hold it I appreciate it more. For ergos, functionality, & low pocket carry at a 3" blade length it's definitely my all-time favorite.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm fairly sure the Dfly was created as a little brother to the Caly 3, more or less. Pinned construction or not, the Caly 3 is just plain awesome. You're cutting yourself short skipping over it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
r small

Post by r small »

If I can find a store in my area that has one in stock I'll check it out. There used to be a great little knife store at one of my local malls called Chesapeake Knives. But they went under a few years back.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm curious if you could drill out the pins and re-install typical screw pins like are found in other knives. Of course, keep in mind this voids your warranty.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

How about the meadowlark 2? Seems to fit what you are looking for.
r small

Post by r small »

Do you owners of the Caly use one hand operation for closing? On my Dragonfly, for one handed closing, I hold the knife so that I can press the lockback with my thumb and then push the blade out of the lock position with my index finger. I notice that if I push the blade all the way onto my middle finger the blade will hit it with the choil. So it doesn't cut. This gives a little margin of safety should I "spaz out" while closing the knife one handed. Is this also true with the Caly? If so this would be a strong factor in my decision whether or not to get one. And could tip the scales in its' favor. Water Gremlin--the meadowlark looks interesting. Might make a good "stash" knife. These are knives I keep in various places such as the glove compartment of my car or around the house where I might have a need for a knife. But for carry I like to go with the higher end knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yes, assuming you're holding a Caly 3 normally, the choil will land on your finger if you let the blade drop when closing it. And, although the rest of the Caly 3 is pinned, the blade pivot is a screw. So you can disassemble it sufficiently for cleaning, if you are so inclined.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
noddy

Post by noddy »

The Mentaculous wrote:I

The Caly is, IMO, one of the finest production blades in existence
:) I agree, especially with regard to the G10 version

It might be, at the moment, that the Dfly is to the Delica, what the Delica is to the Endura.

The Urban has some shared characteristics with the Dfly, but it is a slippie
sonictek

Post by sonictek »

The Byrd Robin 2 is just a little bigger and in FRN without the clip is very thin in the pocket without the clip. Has the choil on top and bottom. I have both the RN and G-10 versions and the FRN with the recessed liners is thinner. I've handled the D'Fly and it was too small IMO but the Robin was just big enough and won't scare the timid among us. OK, not a Spyderco and not VG-10 but also was $25 cheaper. I like it, YMMV. I will probably get one eventually but this will do for now. Mike
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

When I started up buying new spidies, years after my snap-it and my delicaIII, I got a d-fly, then I got a lava, then I got a delica. I find the delica to be most like the d-fly sans choil.

I just got a Caly 3 CF, and I must say it's similar to the d-fly. It has the shallow choil, deep upsweep in the thumb ramp and a very similar pinch. It also feels rather similar to the lava. I enjoy the knife, and have found that it has grown on me substantially since I switched from my Para2 to my Caly 3.

I'm not at all worried about the pinning. The pinning is not on parts that would need disassembly. It can easily be blown-out with an airgun while assembled. It cuts like a dream and holds an edge like nothing I've ever owned. I have since been shopping for a wood-plane blade of ZDP... but I digress.
The Deacon wrote:Yes, assuming you're holding a Caly 3 normally, the choil will land on your finger if you let the blade drop when closing it.
This DID NOT work for me. I had a hefty :spyder: bite when I tried my Para tricks including the choil with my Caly. I will not flip it downward all willy-nilly again, like I can with the delica/d-fly/lava/Para2. It was my first 24 degree flip/drop cut on flesh. It works slow, and if you're choked right up at the arch, but not if you're a little low.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
austrian_spyder_fan

Re: big brother for dragonfly

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I activate this thread from winter sleep.
Who is the real big (or a little bigger) brother of the DFY?
I have now this Spyders in my little Collection:
Dragonfly 2
Delica 2
Stretch 1
Native 5
Lil Native
UKPK
Roadie
Bombshell (no EDC use)

But DFY is nearly my favorite in EDC.
His brother seems to be most likely the UKPK?

UKPK with a backlock whould be perfekt.