Ladybug too small?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

the one hand opening is easy with a small -mod . i put on a ziptie in the hole and it opens even with gloves . (give it the time to break in is get's smoother)
a small paracord gives a full hand grip .
greetzzz and enjoy your lady .
sal

Post by sal »

Hi AC,

I put the rear of handle between by middle finger and ring finger to secure the knife and the thumb opening is easier.

Very nice Jazz.

The Ladybug (and soon the "Manbug") are designed to be a back up edge that can be used in a PC situation and is easier to carry. The blade is a tad longer than the claw of a Tiger and 100 times sharper. It's cutting ability is surprising. The difference between having a Ladybug and NO cutting edge is large.

sal
dwong

Post by dwong »

for both d'fly and LB, i have to do what sal mention above to do one hand opening.

also add something at the tail helps alot:
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

In such a place as a knife forum we are used to having blades with excess of length. As sal said the difference between having a knife and not is a huge gap. The Ladybug is one of the few you can open anywhere without people assuming you're Dexter.

I a while at Starbucks with a Bug. It killed cardboard, packages, and even 2 zip ties. My Lagybug SE was my knife of choice cutting twice it's size and never dulling. With practice I could comfortably open and close it upside down or conventionally.

It's not for everyone but the number of .6 oz PC folders which disappear in your watch pocket are few and far between. The ergonomics or it's size should win an Academy Award :) .
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I use the same kind of paracord lanyard that is shown in the video. There's great instructional video from Cutlerylover explaining how to make it.

I have very large hands (XL/XXL glove size), and I can easily open my Ladybug one-handed. I can even flick it out. I use it often, as it is the one knife that I ALWAYS have on me.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I love the LB's and find them easy to open, and i always have 2 of them on me.
It does help if it has a small lanyard or a key-ring on the end.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The lanyard will also avoid losing them. Often a problem with small knives :( .
rycen

Post by rycen »

My most used and abused knife is a ladybug II that I bought used 4+ years ago.

We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I have no problem opening my ZDP Ladybug and H1 Hawkbill with one hand. Now my Gen 1 Ladybug is a different story.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
ac12

Post by ac12 »

Thanks guys.
My SAKs are 2 hand knives to open. I guess I've been spoiled by being able to open my larger knife w one hand, that I was expecting to be able to do the LB w one hand also.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think with a little practice it will be easier. You can always Spydie-drop them one handed :) .
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

I keep my Ladybug on my keys. Having something on the end definitely makes the knife fit in hand better, and open easier.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

No problem here opening my Ladybugs one handed.
My black FRN Ladybug in full Spyderedge cuts like a knife 3 times bigger.
Amazing, them little big knives from Spyderco :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I_like_sharp_things wrote:I love my Ladybugs because of their size. I almost always have one on me and with a little practice I got the one handed opening down. Both of mine have paracord lanyards on them though so that might help. What is the name of the knot on yours Jazz? I see them a lot but don't know what to call them so I can search for instruction.
Thanks for the compliments, guys.
Search "hangman's noose knot" or "Chris Reeve knot" on youtube. That should help. It's pretty easy and you can make it however long or short you want.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:It's cutting ability is surprising. The difference between having a Ladybug and NO cutting edge is large.

sal
VERY wise words, as usual. As the saying goes, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I think the internet has jaded a lot of us into thinking we need huge knives for EDC, when many of us probably grew up with pen knives, which typically had no more than 2 inch blades.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ac12

Post by ac12 »

I'm beginning to appreciate the LB for what it is, rather than what I wanted it to be.
I understand the compromises of a small knife, but now I need a little help. I don't have arthritis...yet...but holding the LB tight is tricky. The grip is short and small in bulk, so I don't have the length nor bulk to hold on to. The shape of the grip is very comfortable, it is just small. Is there a technique to holding the small knife? I will try some of the suggestions for the lanyard hole and see if that helps.

So for my next knife, Dragonfly2 or Delica?
I don't know why the Dragonfly2 is sticking in my head. Maybe because it seems to be a compromise size to carry well, and that is one criteria.
I do like the longer blade length of the Delica. Longer blade is easier to spread peanut butter :-)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I made a small fob with a key ring on it that slips over my pinky. It helps a lot to keep a secure grip. Id post a pic but im on my phone..do a search for my Ladybug thread and youll see what i mean.
~David
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

Thanks Jazz.
Spyder Count: 7
PHAS_95

Post by PHAS_95 »

sal wrote:Hi AC,

I put the rear of handle between by middle finger and ring finger to secure the knife and the thumb opening is easier.

Very nice Jazz.

The Ladybug (and soon the "Manbug") are designed to be a back up edge that can be used in a PC situation and is easier to carry. The blade is a tad longer than the claw of a Tiger and 100 times sharper. It's cutting ability is surprising. The difference between having a Ladybug and NO cutting edge is large.

sal
when do you think the manbug will come out?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Evil D wrote:I made a small fob with a key ring on it that slips over my pinky. It helps a lot to keep a secure grip. Id post a pic but im on my phone..do a search for my Ladybug thread and youll see what i mean.

~David