Is The Time Right: For a fixed blade HAWKBILL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Zac, I remember Chad showing me pics of that knife....Great work, as I think I mentioned in the original thread...I remember Chad loved it....Would make the perfect Spyderco FB hawkbill IMHO....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
JD Spydo

Ceya's Hawk or Fixed Blade Superhawk?

Post by JD Spydo »

I also remember a prototype that one of our long time Spyder-Brothers presented us with quite some time ago. It was referred to as "Ceya's Hawk". It was a really nice fixed blade Hawkbill but had a very slight curve to it ( not as much as I wanted) but with more curve could have been a great one to at least talk over.

I'm sure it's somewhere in the archives and I haven't seen this brother around in some time. But I do remember that I did like the handle and some of the other aspects about it.

But then again a fixed blade Superhawk might just be a great platform to launch from.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Dr Heelhook

Post by Dr Heelhook »

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe like a slightly pointier, hawkbill version of the Jumpmaster?
Just got: Green FFG Endura
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I agree fully spyderco would bring the beef. I've thought of getting said knife as a "backup". I would love to see a 4mm flat ground hawkbill fixed blade. Maybe a 3.5 to 4inch blade. I wouldn't mind a choil either but I couldnt complain if it didn't have one. Also just dropped a HUGE hint for the other knife. Holding my superhawk it would be nice if it were longer and solid. The complock and heavy duty construction don't make me doubt it in the slightest. Just greed mostly. You don't see enough fixed blade hawkbills.
alerin

Post by alerin »

VashHash, I think I need a Backup two.
JD Spydo

Fixed Blade Superhawk sounds great

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:I agree fully spyderco would bring the beef. I've thought of getting said knife as a "backup". I would love to see a 4mm flat ground hawkbill fixed blade. Maybe a 3.5 to 4inch blade. I wouldn't mind a choil either but I couldnt complain if it didn't have one. Also just dropped a HUGE hint for the other knife. Holding my superhawk it would be nice if it were longer and solid. The complock and heavy duty construction don't make me doubt it in the slightest. Just greed mostly. You don't see enough fixed blade hawkbills.
Well Said VASHHASH :) The more I ponder the issue the more I think that a blade along the lines of a fixed blade Superhawk may be the very best one to consider. For many reasons and one being the sturdy blade design and the blade geometry would accomodate a sheath very well.

Also I wouldn't want the first fixed blade Hawkbill to be too radical. Folks need time and experience to get the hang of these great blades
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I just think its a good platform to work off of. The radical curve would of course put off your general utility buyer. Not many people carry sickles anymore unless you're chasing broken down motorist through a corn field. Granted those people need a knife but I don't think spydercos would suit them. I just think a longer blade is in order for the fixed blade version. I could see it being great around the yard. Pruning and what not and also great for stripping braches and general gardening use. Not to mention easy to clean because of the fixed blade. I could see it being useful on a boat as well but maybe offer a slightly blunted tip so things don't get too dangerous. Just for the mariner version of course. The radical angle just makes it harder to use in a general situation. Not to mention people always fear what they don't understand. So something subtle would be the key to getting a knife like this out to the public. I just think it would be good for sd as well as utility.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It would be cool to have a threaded round handle with a plug. Gardeners and fishermen could thread it onto a pole for more reach.

Just an idea.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I was thinking about some way to lash it onto a pole but if spyderco makes it it would have a lanyard hole in the handle and one in the blade. Meaning with a little rope one could secure it pretty well. The threaded handle would make the handle hollow and provide manufacturing difficulties. No doubt hawkbills are good for this type of work when its hard to reach something that needs cutting
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I haven't spoken up yet, cause I hadn't really seen a FB Hawkbill that I liked yet (Although that Boomerang is starting to grow on me!). Then I saw this.

Personally, I like this design. The bonus 'wire/rope/cable cutter' on the back of the blade seems like it would be a real plus! (Plus, there's even room for the Spydiehole in front of that)

16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
JD Spydo

Worth Considering

Post by JD Spydo »

bohica1998 wrote:I haven't spoken up yet, cause I hadn't really seen a FB Hawkbill that I liked yet (Although that Boomerang is starting to grow on me!). Then I saw this.

Personally, I like this design. The bonus 'wire/rope/cable cutter' on the back of the blade seems like it would be a real plus! (Plus, there's even room for the Spydiehole in front of that)
Very interesting suggestion Bohica because I never even gave much thought to a utility cutter on the back/spine part of the blade. But it does make sense for a lot of reasons.

When the Impala model was in the line up I always like the guthook version whereas everyone else seemed to despise it for some reason. The Guthook on the Impala actually worked pretty good and sharpened easy.

So I'm not opposed to utility cutter but I sure want it to be tested to see if it works efficiently. My first choice is still something along the line of a Superhawk fixed blade>> a longer blade than the folder of course and definitely a grippy handle.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I wouldn't mind seeing some bead blasted micarta but peel ply g10 might be cheaper. If the ergos are kept similar to the superhawk it would be grippy all by itself. I just find the handle shape locks in. Maybe make it more contoured. Then again seeing as this would be an FB superhawk the cf used for it would be nice too. I just think micarta would give it that nice classy look but still provide ample grip.