Model Suggestion: The Spyderco Delphinus

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shmackey

Model Suggestion: The Spyderco Delphinus

Post by Shmackey »

Hey all--it's been a while. :)

Until yesterday, I hadn't purchased a new knife since I made my FrankenSage, which has been my EDC for over a year. One way I keep my knife collecting under control is to buy only Spydies, and nothing has really caught my eye since the Sages. (Nothing, but nothing, will ever replace the Ocelot.)

Anyway, I decided recently that I just had to try a flipper knife in my left pocket. There's no such animal (!) in the Spyderco lineup, so I broke with tradition and got a ZT 0350. (I'm not normally big on linerlocks, but I wasn't going to drop $200+ for the framelock 0300 if it's not a Spydie.) This knife is stunningly well made--absolutely reminiscent of Spyderco Custom Collaboration standards--and this flipper thing is the only opener method that compares with the Spydie hole for reliable, secure opening.

For use with the off-hand (in my case, the left), I think the flipper might even be more reliable than the Spydie hole, which is saying a lot. But here's a thought: There should be a knife with both!

It seems to me that the ideal flipper Spyderco would have a smooth, easy-opening lock and a fairly stout blade. Ladies and gents, I present the Spyderco (Manix) Delphinus:

What do you think? I could go for two, especially in a flat-ground version. Call it three if there's a full-Spydie-Edge variant in there. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Perhaps I'm totally uncoordinated, or have pathetically weak fingers, but I've never been able to open a flipper to battery with any degree of consistency. Not to mention that getting a ball bearing lock and a flipper to co-exist outside of Photoshop seems impossible.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Shmackey

Post by Shmackey »

You have a really good point about the BB lock issue. :) Frame lock it is!

Maybe it's because it's an assisted opener, but I can't not get this 0350 to whack straight open every time. It's kind of amazing.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Deacon is correct on this. I have been playing with designing a spyderco flipper since the OKCA where Sal said they're interested in flipper designs. I have played with a few things, and figured something out that is pretty nifty. I'm getting the paperwork going right now for the nondisclosure agreement.
Even though the CBBL pictured wouldn't work with the flipper, it is always best to deal directly with Spyderco for design needs. Once posted on here, it is very difficult to secure the design for spyderco.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Also, what I've found is that the truly hard thing to deal with with spyderco designs and the flipper is the anvil pin. Make a model and try it out.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Interesting topic as I've seen little disscussion regarding flippers in the past couple of years. I have very little experience with flippers since I buy Spyderco's exclusively, but I've always had an interest. If Spyderco produced a flipper (not necessarily on the Manix though) I'd be the first in line to buy one. I wonder what the general interest level is among the regulars on this forum?
Shmackey

Post by Shmackey »

I never had much interest in flippers until I decided to get a knife specifically for my left hand. I'm very much a dominant righty, so I wanted it to be as foolproof as possible. Again, maybe it's because it's an assisted opener, but I absolutely can't miss with this flipper in my left hand.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm generally not a big fan of flippers. And I don't see much need for a flipper when you have the Spydie hole. But, I won't judge a new Spyderco design before seeing it.
:bug-red-white
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Not to be a killjoy, but doesn't a flipper contradict the Spyderhole's purpose?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

I could be wrong, but I think Brad Southard designed a spydie flipper that saw time at some of the Shot shows. Brown handle, interesting looking blade. Probably found via search if you look (I'm on my phone so I can't be too helpful)
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2

Post by 224477 »

Not my cup of coffee. Flipper is fine, but not on this one.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
mattman

Post by mattman »

pmbspyder wrote:I could be wrong, but I think Brad Southard designed a spydie flipper that saw time at some of the Shot shows. Brown handle, interesting looking blade. Probably found via search if you look (I'm on my phone so I can't be too helpful)
I believe the best info was in the Amsterdam thread...

(also phone bound... tough to search for you...)
jossta

Post by jossta »

wrdwrght wrote:Not to be a killjoy, but doesn't a flipper contradict the Spyderhole's purpose?
Not contradict, compliment. Yeah, they are both used to open, but a lot of knives have studs and a hole of a flipper and studs. Some with the flipper and a hole. Granted, most of the ones with studs use them as the stop pin, but the flipper also protects your fingers the same way a choil would, so it's not detracting anything from the knife.

I like this one:

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

That bottom one looks really great!
On the hunt for...
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Move out of my way [rudely shoving my way to the front], I'm first in line for the Brad Southard with brown G10 :D

Seriously, I hope both designs make their way into Spyderco's production line up.
Shmackey

Post by Shmackey »

I just found a custom maker who (I hope) licenses the Spydie Hole and--if I may say so--OH MY GOD YES.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Yeah, he makes some nice stuff. I think he is licensed.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I'd be interested to see what kind of a flipper knife Spyderco came up with.

I have a Kershaw Skyline I bought at BLADE 2 years ago that I consider to be the best $40 I've spent on a knife in a while. Good ergonomics, good Sandvik steel, and the thing I like most about Flippers - It's Fun.

My Kershaw Skyline will never see heavy use prying or batoning, but it is frequently in my pocket for most of my EDC tasks. I still love my Delicas, but I just get a kick flipping it open.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

jossta wrote:Not contradict, compliment. Yeah, they are both used to open, but a lot of knives have studs and a hole of a flipper and studs. Some with the flipper and a hole. Granted, most of the ones with studs use them as the stop pin, but the flipper also protects your fingers the same way a choil would, so it's not detracting anything from the knife.
It certainly isn't my place to tell people what they should want in a knife. What I guess I meant to say is that I thought Spyderco was all about getting maximum performance out of minimal means. A flipper would duplicate the purpose of a feature that Spyderco went so far as to patent, no?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jossta

Post by jossta »

wrdwrght wrote:It certainly isn't my place to tell people what they should want in a knife. What I guess I meant to say is that I thought Spyderco was all about getting maximum performance out of minimal means. A flipper would duplicate the purpose of a feature that Spyderco went so far as to patent, no?
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I just like how they also keep your hand from sliding up and protect your finger as the blade is closing. Also, I like flippers, but there are times when you may not want the blade to shoot open like that and it's easier to open slowly with a flipper that also has a hole vs. one that doesn't.