New Goodies En Route! Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WalzAaronFFG

New Goodies En Route! Questions

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

I just bought a few new spydies on bladeforums. I have a etched cricket LNIB and a foliage green G10 Delica dyed dark blue with a tip mod.

Two questions:

1) Can I use my Super Premium Polishing Paste or Flitz polish on the etched handle of the cricket without hurting it?

2) Has anyone ever removed RIT Dye from G-10?

I really actually like the color of this blue G10, but I kind of want it to match my G10 Dfly for the collection so I can find a FG G10 endura down the line and complete the series, plus I EDC a Delica/Dfly combo so it would be sweet if they matched a bit.

Anyone ever try to use the RIT Dye Remover on G10? If so did it totally remove it, or just dull it a bit? Maybe I could remove the dye, then redye all of them at once for a matching custom color.

I paid $45 shipped for the etched Cricket and $90 for the G10 Delica. I feel like I got a fair price on both and am excited for their arrivals. The forums are very addicting places to shop. Lots of good deals, unique crafts, etc.

People make amazing titanium stuff, paracord stuff, kydex stuff, etc. Lots of skilled craftsman available for your projects as well. Love it
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

or you could just dye your dfly like this!

WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Yeah I think that looks great, but it will probably be different than the blue one I have coming. It seems near impossible to get two dye jobs to the look the same unless you do all the scales together. That is why I was considering removing the dye from the delica that is coming and redye the delica and dfly together.

I have bid on 6 different G10 Delicas and i drop out every time they hit over $100. Since this one was modded I got it cheaper and was crossing my fingers that I may be able to take it back to FG, but like I said, the blue IS starting to grow on me. I dyed my ladybug hawkbill salt dark blue just like the photos above.
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

Spyderco Navaja
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

That Delica looks black to me but either way I like it alot. I thought it was something new at first that I didnt know of.
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

I like the tip mod on that Delica a lot. Looks very splinter picker-ish.
Spyder Count: 7
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:Can I use my Super Premium Polishing Paste or Flitz polish on the etched handle of the cricket without hurting it?
Aside from possilbly making it shinier it shouldn't hurt it and, unless you use it on a power buffing wheel, any change would be minimal. Question is, if it's LNIB, why bother?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

The Deacon wrote:Aside from possilbly making it shinier it shouldn't hurt it and, unless you use it on a power buffing wheel, any change would be minimal. Question is, if it's LNIB, why bother?
I use the SPP Paste for every knife I plan to carry, and I plan on using the Cricket a lot. It puts a nice protective coat on everything without making it too glossy like some other polishing pastes. I have never had an SS handle from Spyderco. I just wanted to know if it would mess with the way the etched handle looked.

Good to know it wont.

Spyderco Navaja
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

So the G10 Delica that was sent out yesterday was delivered to the wrong address... in the wrong city... in the wrong state WTF!

I confirmed the package was shipped to the proper address with the seller, and called USPS and opened a claim. Of course the lady on the phone that worked for USPS didn't even know the state abbreviation for Michigan so that was a real confidence builder.

Now i'm reading about USPS disasters online and it is really making me feel like the USPS just stole my knife. It wasn't insured and apparently they don't keep track of the addresses that they deliver packages to. This means that unless I get totally lucky and the person who got my knife isn't a total prick, either me or the seller will be taking a hit on the blade.

I am seriously pissed right now. Will someone tell me a fairytale about how the USPS is good at what they do and will get my package back safe and sound? I'm not feeling a lot of faith in the USPS right now.

Spyderco Navaja
BAL

Post by BAL »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:So the G10 Delica that was sent out yesterday was delivered to the wrong address... in the wrong city... in the wrong state WTF!

I confirmed the package was shipped to the proper address with the seller, and called USPS and opened a claim. Of course the lady on the phone that worked for USPS didn't even know the state abbreviation for Michigan so that was a real confidence builder.

Now i'm reading about USPS disasters online and it is really making me feel like the USPS just stole my knife. It wasn't insured and apparently they don't keep track of the addresses that they deliver packages to. This means that unless I get totally lucky and the person who got my knife isn't a total prick, either me or the seller will be taking a hit on the blade.

I am seriously pissed right now. Will someone tell me a fairytale about how the USPS is good at what they do and will get my package back safe and sound? I'm not feeling a lot of faith in the USPS right now.
Once upon a time there was a great Spyderaholic who wanted a Green G-10 Delica dyed Blue more than he had ever wanted anything before. He rubbed a lamp over and over and nothing happened. He then jumped up in the air and clicked his heels and still nothing, Then the wind began to blow and he listened carefully and thought that he heard a fairy USPS lady say "Michigan Michigan MI MI, it's MI. I shall search the land until i find a green G-10 Delica and dye it blue and deliver to you". Then all of a sudden the great Spyderaholic heard a loud noise that woke him up and he realized that he had been daydreaming and his green G-10 delica dyed blue was not coming after all. The end.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

ouch :(
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Well everything worked out. Although the tracking information says it was delivered in Livonia, MI, it actually appeared along with my new etched Cricket this afternoon in WI. Guess the USPS just had a little glitch in the tracking system.

Here are a few pics, just got them all cleaned up and oiled. Ready for EDC!

I really love the Cricket. it makes a perfect money clip and has a useful utility blade. I just took a card and fold my cash over it, then slide it under the clip. Works like a charm.

The delica is much darker blue than the pictures showed Not really a problem since I may redye it if I can pull enough of the old dye out, but even if i can't I love the knife.

It is my third Delica and falls in the middle of the price range Delica 4 FFG Blue> Delica FG G10 dyed black> Jigged Bone Delica in Orange

My Lum Tanto also sold on eBay for more than I paid for it.

I'd say overal that the spydergod was smiling upon me today :cool: :spyder: :)

Spyderco Navaja
JLannoo

Post by JLannoo »

I like that Cricket, saw some of them on feebay. Think it would make a nice keychain. I just got a Manix 2 PE and a Grasshopper in today. I was gonna use the Grasshopper as a keychain. i dont think I grasped the concept of how small it was lol. i need something else. :-)

Post by 1623 »

The dye job on that Delica is beautiful and really looks slick with the polished clip.

Color, clip, tip mod...perfect Delica in my humble opinion.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

JLannoo wrote:I like that Cricket, saw some of them on feebay. Think it would make a nice keychain. I just got a Manix 2 PE and a Grasshopper in today. I was gonna use the Grasshopper as a keychain. i dont think I grasped the concept of how small it was lol. i need something else. :-)
Yeah the cricket is a good size and the ball detent that holds it closed is very strong so it wont flop open if hanging from a keyring or a lanyard.

Haven't got any of the bugs yet. I figured I'd put my money towards something else and maybe save the bugs for when cash is tight.

Spyderco Navaja
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

1623 wrote:The dye job on that Delica is beautiful and really looks slick with the polished clip.

Color, clip, tip mod...perfect Delica in my humble opinion.
I would agree. I love the original FG, but the color has grown on me.. paid $90 for it so it was worth overlooking such a minor quibble.

Spyderco Navaja
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

That Delica looks slick, nice score!
I've enjoyed my Cricket, awesome lbk. Too bad they don't have the etched handle w/ a SE.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
BAL

Post by BAL »

BAL wrote:Once upon a time there was a great Spyderaholic who wanted a Green G-10 Delica dyed Blue more than he had ever wanted anything before. He rubbed a lamp over and over and nothing happened. He then jumped up in the air and clicked his heels and still nothing, Then the wind began to blow and he listened carefully and thought that he heard a fairy USPS lady say "Michigan Michigan MI MI, it's MI. I shall search the land until i find a green G-10 Delica and dye it blue and deliver to you". Then all of a sudden the great Spyderaholic heard a loud noise that woke him up and he realized that he had been daydreaming and his green G-10 delica dyed blue was not coming after all. The end.
....but alas, the great spyderaholic heard another noise and awoke again to realize that he had been dreaming about daydreaming and the noise that he heard was actually a knock at the door. He tip-toed cautiously to the door and there she was, a lovely USPS princess with long flowing hair with tight little orange shorts and a halter top covered loosely by an open gown that waved in the wind. She had a package in her hands (not necessarily the package that the great spyderaholic had in mind at the time, but none the less, a package). She said that her name was Michelle, but people called her MI. She handed him the package and as he began to tear it open, he heard a "poof" and like that she was gone. He then opened the package and there it was before him, a beautiful green G-10 Delica dyed blue. And they lived happily ever after. The end.