Spydercos and the feds

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cckw

Spydercos and the feds

Post by cckw »

Who all has gotten your spyderco past TSA or other security?

In another thread the gentleman couldn't bring his sage into a building. I have a couple stories.

My girlfriend had my native in her purse and got through TSA in Omaha NE, discovered it in her hotel and put it in her carry on for the return trip. that was about 2 years ago.

I had a great experience. This was a federal building with TSA type security at the door, same systems as the airport. I was there as a contractor with my Dewalt 5 pc 18v kit, my tool box and parts box all on a cart. the cart goes around the metal detector and I go through. then my stuff has to be checked. I get this skinny older security guy, who couldn't take out anyone by force, but was pleasant and on the ball. I had to open everything for him to view, he had a fast eye and knew what he was seeing, so it's going well. We get to the middle drawer of my tool box and there is my SE Endura. I pointed to it and started to ask if he wanted me to take it back to my truck. But he cut me off at my first word and said "close that, let's see the bottom drawer." He was the ideal security guy in reality. He knew I was not there to cause harm, I was there to make an honest buck and that knife was a tool and nothing more. It is this kind of guy that would spot a villain and not let political correctness keep him quiet. One in a million guy, or at least one in a thousand.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

A few years ago, I accidentally brought a bag onto an airplane with 2 three-inch folding knives in it. I didn't even realize it until I got to my destination. The bag went through the x-ray machine, but the operator must've missed them. On the way home, I checked that bag.

BTW, they weren't Spydercos. This was before I got into Spydies.
:bug-red-white
DeltaWhiskey

oopsie

Post by DeltaWhiskey »

don't remember what airport it was, but maybe a year ago I went through the magnetometer without a hitch...realized before boarding that my leaf storm was still in my pocket...clipped and everything...no harm no foul...remembered to check it with my luggage on the way back.
"Please forgive me dear...I bought another knife"
Donut

Post by Donut »

You'd be surprised how bad security is some places. I went through a security stop the other week, went through the rectangular metal detector and it beeped. They used a wand on me, and it beeped on my armpit areas, both of them. I was wearing a t-shirt. I was like, "Is that saying I have metal in my armpits?" and he ignored me. lol

I've been carrying when local bouncers use a wand and they will go right over my cricket and won't ask a question.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Maybe bout 12 or 13 years ago I had to go to court to serve for jury duty....I left all the firearms at home, but did manage to forget a custom OTF Automatic and a SE Endura....Clipped into my waistband of my pants while going about my daily chores before leaving for court. Security caught them on the detector, They freaked out at first, till I showed them my U.S. Special Agent ID, They said "Sir, you can't those knives into the courtroom, but we will hold onto them for you" They took possession. I had my concerns as the OTF was an expensive knife and I didn't want it to go mysteriously missing. I asked If I could take them back to my car, the officer said no...but it will be in good hands here he said as he clipped the two knives inside his front pants pockets...I was like OOOOK..... I told him I felt naked.....without my firearms or knives...I had to leave the building several times during the day of service...breaks the courts gave us for drinks and cigs, and lunch...etc. Every time I passed security the officer would reach into his pockets and say here as I passed him he handed me back my knives...When I came back he clipped them into his pockets...This happened about 8 times...I could have left them in the car after the first time I got them back but our arrangement was working so well I kept it up all day....LOL....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Donut wrote:You'd be surprised how bad security is some places. I went through a security stop the other week, went through the rectangular metal detector and it beeped. They used a wand on me, and it beeped on my armpit areas, both of them. I was wearing a t-shirt. I was like, "Is that saying I have metal in my armpits?" and he ignored me. lol

I've been carrying when local bouncers use a wand and they will go right over my cricket and won't ask a question.
So you have crickets taped to your armpits :eek: :eek: :eek: :p ...where else? Don't tell me I think I know :eek: :eek Crickets have a tendency to slip into cracks...:.....Next time watch where they stick that wand..........Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Donut

Post by Donut »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:So you have crickets taped to your armpits :eek: :eek: :eek: :p ...where else? Don't tell me I think I know :eek: :eek Crickets have a tendency to slip into cracks...:.....Next time watch where they stick that wand..........Doc :p
LOL :D

I carry a cricket in my front pocket for use as a money clip. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Donut wrote:You'd be surprised how bad security is some places. I went through a security stop the other week, went through the rectangular metal detector and it beeped. They used a wand on me, and it beeped on my armpit areas, both of them. I was wearing a t-shirt. I was like, "Is that saying I have metal in my armpits?" and he ignored me. lol

I think the reason they beeped under your armpits was that deodorants/ antiperspirants use aluminum in them. This could set off the wand detector.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Title seems to imply that the Feds take a special interest in Spyderco knives. I really doubt that's the case. Am sure any metal knife will trip a metal detector and, regardless of brand, the outcome after that is likely to be the same.
Spider bite wrote:I think the reason they beeped under your armpits was that deodorants/ antiperspirants use aluminum in them. This could set off the wand detector.
True, but just like the iron in you blood, I doubt it would set off a metal detector. On the other hand, I've owned a couple shirts with rivets, and at least one with metal eyelets as vents under there. Either of which might trigger a detector. Or more likely, just a good old "false positive" reading.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Is this really a good thing to discuss on a public forum?
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Years ago the Feds ( at least FBI) were issued Blue Delica's for EDC....I pretty sure it was back in the early 90's....Doc :D

angusW

Post by angusW »

When I was in Boston earlier this year I left my wife and daughter in a park so that I could check out some of the historical sites. One of the places I was dying to see was the USS Constitution (aka Old Ironsides). To get to her you have to go through a small hut. As I was walking up I could see guys dressed in camo with one of them holding a wand. I then remembered I had my Sage 1 in my pocket so I didn't bother taking the chance of losing it. I thought it very ironic that in order for me to go onto a ship named by George Washington after the U.S. Constitution I would probably lose my pocket knife. I'm not American but I was very sad at that moment at what she has become.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

I kept hearing one unnamed government branch issued Spyderco Rescue knives, could never figure out which one. Heard a popular sheathmaker made a lot of that group, but it never got named.
Diesel55

Post by Diesel55 »

Earlier this year, my girlfriend was going through security for an international flight. They scanned her bag, found a SAK on her keychain, took it away, and rescanned the bag. Once she got to her destination, she realized that the bag also contained her SS Delica.
Spydies owned: Sage, Sage 2, Sage 3, Sage 4, Lum CF, Lum (foliage), Para Military, Gayle Bradley, Caly 3, M390 Military, Military (orange), PM 2 (orange), Dodo (orange), Manix 2 (orange), Manix 2 (moonglow), Merlin, Matriarch SE, UKPK (maroon), Chinook 3, Khukuri, Superhawk, Street Beat, Lum Tanto sprint, Massad Ayoob sprint, PPT, Shabaria, Persian (red), JD Smith (foliage), BayouShooter Endura, and P'kal.

Waiting for: Dark green PM2.