Not Again !?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderbro

Not Again !?!

Post by Spyderbro »

I have totally fallen in love with Spyderco knives. The very best knife I have ever owned. Have had some sort of knife since I was a kid. Spyderco is the best, bar none. THAT'S why I joined this forum. To learn & grow my knowledge and passion for the knife and the legend, Sal.

I now own some 25 knives since January. :)

Let's start off with a quote from Sal:
"This is a sensitive subject, so I would appreciate your patience and understanding. The hostility that seems to appear on the forum makes it an uncomfortable place to be. This is opposite the intention."

"thanx much for your cooperation and kind understanding."

sal

My only problem I have is sometimes in this forum. Since I have joined, I have tried to lay low and with good reason. You chop peoples heads off if you disagree with their concern/question. There have been a few, three resent ones I can think of, that I have seen where some of the responses have not been very nice.

OP... wrote about the pricing of the knives. The post has since been deleted. Are you happy? People jumped down his throat as if he were bashing Spyderco. "Oh, he must be a dealer!" "He put up the same post on BF!" Some/most of the responses had little to do with what this man was trying to say.

Coonan..."I was not trying to sell knives here!!!"...you railroad the guy! It was an honest mistake and you treat him as an outcast! HE JUST JOINED for god sakes!! You made him feel right at home didn't you.

NuttinFancy... He didn't just paint a knife. You know that. Why do you feel the need to put someone down? He knows a lot about this subject and you know that! Then others chime in like lemmings.

You make jokes and pick on people I think without even knowing/realizing it. Like they can't say what they feel. Is that how you treat people on the street? No wonder the world is so f@#%*d up!

Hey, I got a great idea! Why don't you all jump on ME now!! Yeah! I gotta be evil right? Nevermind the beautiful knives we are 'spose to be talking about. Let's all jump on someone like girls in junior high! But like a man! Kick me! Then kick me some more!

That's right!!! Make Sal proud!!
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome back, Spyderbro. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I think you are blowing this stuff way out of proportion. I've seen very few members act the way you describe. When I take the time to actually read and understand where someone is coming from, there is little hostility here. I will admit that some responses can be curt but that doesn't mean the person is ridiculing/embarrassing/harassing the OP.

People need to thicken their skin a bit when it comes to online forums. A lot of interpretation is vague because there is no voice or physical body language behind it. ****, even if there is an argument it's no big deal. You shouldn't feel devastated that someone out in the world, behind a computer screen didn't share your opinion and wasn't nice about expressing that.

The melodrama needs to stop. We are all passionate about Spyderco knives and many of the members on this forum go to great lengths to help and inform each other. It feels like a great place to be, IMO.
jossta

Post by jossta »

D1omedes wrote:I think you are blowing this stuff way out of proportion. I've seen very few members act the way you describe. When I take the time to actually read and understand where someone is coming from, there is little hostility here. I will admit that some responses can be curt but that doesn't mean the person is ridiculing/embarrassing/harassing the OP.

People need to thicken their skin a bit when it comes to online forums. A lot of interpretation is vague because there is no voice or physical body language behind it. ****, even if there is an argument it's no big deal. You shouldn't feel devastated that someone out in the world, behind a computer screen didn't share your opinion and wasn't nice about expressing that.

The melodrama needs to stop. We are all passionate about Spyderco knives and many of the members on this forum go to great lengths to help and inform each other. It feels like a great place to be, IMO.
QFT.

Dude, if that Coonan thread was too much for you, I don't know how you can frequent any forum. I didn't bother to read that thread until you mentioned it, but it seemed like 90% of the replies were well thought out and non-combative.

As far as the Tenacious, the only way I would pay $110 for is if it came strapped with a Manix 2 to it. If you think the response here was bad, try the thread at bladeforums.
DeltaWhiskey

Many thoughts

Post by DeltaWhiskey »

Hmmmm.

Everyone has an opinion.

People make mistakes.

Nothing anyone writes on here...except maybe Spyderco representatives, will ever hurt my feelings.

Suck it up and drive on.

I appreciate your concern and the overall meaning in your post.

A little more of the Golden Rule (no pun intended) would be nice in here.
"Please forgive me dear...I bought another knife"
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

this is the problem when you cant see the gestures or hear the voice of the person...typing. Things get interpreted wrong, that's the problem with the web world. Lets just do what we normally do on this forum cause this stuff is getting blown out of proportion...
araneae

Post by araneae »

This is by far the most restrained and respectful forum I have frequented. Sometimes things get misinterpreted, but we generally correct ourselves and get back on course. 'Nuff said.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Pro: the Internet offers quick and easy access to an amazing amount of information.

Con: it's still the Internet.

Each forum has it's own vibe. People who participate aren't the least opinionated. The best you can hope for with a group of fanatics is good intent and generally PG-13 language.

Compared to all the other ones ive visited this place is an Amish petting zoo. If you don't follow the rules Brother Zachariah will still whomp you with a shovel.

Ps: I do think you may be blowing a coupe threads out of proportion. The Nutnfancy thread is way more civil than even disagreeing.

The "knife selling" threads (even if just hinting) and the "quality control" ones are great ways to get people riled up. When I join a forum I read the rules and look for the hot-buttons to avoid them. For a while I keep my tone somewhat reserved. Once I have like 100 posts I turn into a real jerk tho!!! :p
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I've been a member on a few different forums that are for completely different hobbies. This one by far has the nicest people on it. If you think people are hostile here, try going to a gaming forum. They rip your head off for everything you do.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Blerv wrote:Pro: the Internet offers quick and easy access to an amazing amount of information.

Con: it's still the Internet.

Each forum has it's own vibe. People who participate aren't the least opinionated. The best you can hope for with a group of fanatics is good intent and generally PG-13 language.

Compared to all the other ones ive visited this place is an Amish petting zoo. If you don't follow the rules Brother Zachariah will still whomp you with a shovel.

Ps: I do think you may be blowing a coupe threads out of proportion. The "knife selling" threads (even if just hinting) and the "quality control" ones is a great way to get people riled up. When I join a forum I read the rules and look for the hot-buttons to avoid them. For a while I keep my tone somewhat reserved. Once I have like 100 posts I turn into a real jerk tho!!! :p
LOL , that is how I handle being new , I have to shake my head a lot in the shadows. But I don't have to remove my foot from my mouth that often either. :)
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

araneae wrote:This is by far the most restrained and respectful forum I have frequented. Sometimes things get misinterpreted, but we generally correct ourselves and get back on course. 'Nuff said.
couldn't agree more. this forum is filled with people who would give you the shirt off their back in most instances. i can appreciate the thought behind your thread, but it seems like you're baiting a bit.
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JCP1969 wrote:LOL , that is how I handle being new , I have to shake my head a lot in the shadows. But I don't have to remove my foot from my mouth that often either. :)
Glad I'm not alone. It's like posting paranoia at first, lol.

Do note that's not how I think it SHOULD be. People are free to speak their minds as long as it's not vulgar. Prob is freedom of speech swings both ways.

I lub u allz!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm just a little curious about why this isn't in off-topic, since it has nothing to do with Spyderco knives or other Spyderco products.

Oh, and just because someone just joined doesn't mean they are automatically innocent. Spammers posting their crap just joined, too. They may even believe that we really need the product they are spamming (doubtful, but possible). That doesn't make it acceptable behavior.

It appears to me that clear communication via print is a dying art. Ironic, considering the increase in text messaging.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

araneae wrote:This is by far the most restrained and respectful forum I have frequented. Sometimes things get misinterpreted, but we generally correct ourselves and get back on course. 'Nuff said.
What my bro here said. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

For the record: I was the guy that asked if the person was a dealer. The only reason I asked is because he did numerous things to give me that impression.

1) Posted same pricing question on both Spyderco forum and BM forum
2) Cited his retail experience when arguing with other forumites
3) Claimed to have some knowledge about the margins for dealers of Spyderco knives
4) Was essentially complaining about low prices as an alleged Spyderco consumer

Is it seriously wrong to ask if he is a dealer? Everything he said from the time the thread was posted until he finally deleted it gave me the impression that he wasn't discussing pricing from a consumer perspective.

Unless I'm mistaken, Sal's quote that you used was about not bad-mouthing other knife manufacturers in the industry because he doesn't want Spyderco fans to look like the petty "bad guy" from the outside. I'm not aware of anything in that post that said that people on this forum were being unfriendly to each other.

In fact, I think you are being overly dramatic and missing the good things on this forum. Just a day or so ago someone posted a thank you thread directed at a very nice forum member that sent him a free Stretch clip for his knife. No cost to the person, just a favor for a fellow forumite.

This forum is an amazingly helpful place for new members... I should know because I just joined in June. Take a look at all the long and detailed responses on my recent thread asking about making G10 scales. People are willing to help new members, but when someone's first few posts are either "SPYDERCO FIT AND FINISH SUCKS!!!!" or a thread that questions the entire way Spyderco prices their knives, you can sure as **** bet that the forum will take no prisoners.

I think most of this just comes down to common sense. If you come along and ask a baited question you are going to get chewed up and spit out. I can appreciate the idea that you want to treat other forumites well, but I haven't actually seen a scenario where someone got their head chewed off and didn't ask for it (myself included).
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I have looked at every thread and read almost every post for some months now. Other than the typical "You don't write so well and I don't read so well." misunderstandings, this forum is more accepting and kind than any other forum I have followed. They are not so tolerant of shenanigans, especially if posters openly ignore forum rules.

Some posters take it personally when their ideas are not accepted and mistake disagreement with an idea as disagreement with themselves.

Jackie Brown in "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" said, "Kid, life's hard. But it's harder if you're stupid"
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
D56

Post by D56 »

I've not been here very long (but lurked a bit) and can't honestly say I've seen any insulting responses to anybody yet, but I suppose every forum has it's share of smart ar**s who's only status in life is their large post count....Just ignore :cool:

I come here for knowledge, nice pics, and to relax, the first time I start to feel "uncomfortable" - I'm off.
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

At night I walk this stinkin' street past the crazies on my block
And I see the same old faces and I hear that same old talk
And I'm searching for the latest thing, a break in this routine
I'm talkin' some new kicks, ones like you ain't never seen
This is home, this is Mean Street

An' we don't worry 'bout tomorrow 'cause we're sick of these four walls
Now what you think is nothin' might be somethin' after all
Now you know this ain't no through street, the end is dead ahead
The poor folks play for keeps down here, they're the living dead

It's always here and now my friend, it ain't once upon a time
It's all over but the shouting, I come to take what's mine
We're searchin' for the latest thing, a break in this routine
Talkin' some new kicks, ones like you ain't never seenImage
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Spyderbro wrote: My only problem I have is sometimes in this forum. Since I have joined, I have tried to lay low and with good reason. You chop peoples heads off if you disagree with their concern/question. There have been a few, three resent ones I can think of, that I have seen where some of the responses have not been very nice.

OP... wrote about the pricing of the knives. The post has since been deleted. Are you happy? People jumped down his throat as if he were bashing Spyderco. "Oh, he must be a dealer!" "He put up the same post on BF!" Some/most of the responses had little to do with what this man was trying to say.

Coonan..."I was not trying to sell knives here!!!"...you railroad the guy! It was an honest mistake and you treat him as an outcast! HE JUST JOINED for god sakes!! You made him feel right at home didn't you.

NuttinFancy... He didn't just paint a knife. You know that. Why do you feel the need to put someone down? He knows a lot about this subject and you know that! Then others chime in like lemmings.

You make jokes and pick on people I think without even knowing/realizing it. Like they can't say what they feel. Is that how you treat people on the street? No wonder the world is so f@#%*d up!

Hey, I got a great idea! Why don't you all jump on ME now!! Yeah! I gotta be evil right? Nevermind the beautiful knives we are 'spose to be talking about. Let's all jump on someone like girls in junior high! But like a man! Kick me! Then kick me some more!

That's right!!! Make Sal proud!!
First :spyder: does make great knives :D

I'm sorry you feel that way Spyderbro. No setting for online discussion will ever be perfect. When individuals from around the world are participating misunderstandings are bound to occur.

luckily for me this forum has quite a few very clearheaded individuals participating, Coonan has gotten their words and is also now participating.

I hope the replies you've recieved to this thread have been positive enough to keep you participating. No Forum will ever be perfect. The battle for perfection has to come from the self.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Ry-Gon

Post by Ry-Gon »

I have another idea. We could all just grow the f@#$% Up!