Nutnfancy/Missionspeccamo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
angusW

Post by angusW »

Looks like a pretty nice knife. I like the Ten, was my first Spyderco but for that price...forget about it.

If I watch a Nutnfancy video, I let it load first then start watching it. That way I can skip the parts that are not getting my attention. Fact is, if he didn't have the gift of gab then there would be a lot of dead air on his vids, good or bad. He has some interesting opinions and does some good work.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

i like watching nutnfancy's videos. i think he has a good sense of humour & has interesting videos on many subjects. he obviously digs the :spyder: :D

i wouldn't buy this missionspec camo tenacious though just because i don't like painted blades.
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Gerard Breuker wrote:Put it on a Military with Sal's autograph and many here would be all over it for only $80 more and count themselves lucky to get one.
Agreed. I would love to have something with an autographed box due to the respect I have for Sal & Co.

That said, the cool thing is his initials are already engraved on the blade because he designed it. :) That's the ultimate endorsement, IMHO.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Blerv wrote:Agreed. I would love to have something with an autographed box due to the respect I have for Sal & Co.

That said, the cool thing is his initials are already engraved on the blade because he designed it. :) That's the ultimate endorsement, IMHO.
Win the calendar contest :)
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

i like his reviews . lot's of good info if one is looking to buy a :spyder: .greeetzzzz
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

As far as reviews go, I think Nutnfancy does an excellent job. He is very thorough and covers many different aspects of the item he is reviewing. Personally, I would enjoy being able to make money reviewing knives and guns and gear. No hate from me. Heck, I'm envious.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I get a feeling that it's the people with low post counts who are fans of nutnfancy.

Nothing meant, nothing implied.

Just sayin'.
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

It warns the buyer that they have to grind away the duracoat around the edge, and adjust the pivot. That's...quality service. Apparently the guy who would charge 65 dollars for this service is a personal friend of nutnfancy who started up his business to serve the fanbase, who overcharges for duracoating. The profit should add up to around fifty a knife, netting him around $2,500 from this stunt. On the plus side, he's promoting Spyderco models...On the minus, he's promoting himself through that and his reputation doesn't lend much credibility to ESEE or Spyderco through stunts like this. He paid for the knives and can legally do this all he wants, it's just beyond poor taste.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I like his videos but no way wouldn't buy a knife because it had his name or paint job on it. More power to him if he can sell them.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For what it's worth, i think the pattern used is really cool...looks like snake skin. I can't express how cool it would be to have a khaki colored DLC coating that was super super strong and scratch resistant...i'd buy several knives in this option.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FPO45

Post by FPO45 »

When it comes to Nutnfancy there are a good number of people who have an opinion, which is indicative of his Youtube success. Opinions usually generate views/comments/likes/dislikes, which in turn translates into opportunities revenue. Love him or hate him, for better or for worse, he's there. If you're one of those people who truly hates what he does, the best thing you can do is abstain from talking about him, period.

Personally, I think Nutnfancy could benefit from using an outline or script and sticking to it. I know he has those "talking points", but rarely does he make a video that stays on track or is concise at all. Sometimes saying less conveys more.

As for the knife, it doesn't necessarily appeal to me. Aesthetics and limited production don't necessarily make the extra money worth it. I suppose if you're a fan it's a different story, as the value of a collectors item is at least in part in the eyes of the beholder. For me, not so much.
vic

Post by vic »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I get a feeling that it's the people with low post counts who are fans of nutnfancy.

Nothing meant, nothing implied.

Just sayin'.
yeah because all the nutnfancy fans lurk on the spyderco forums every day, the community here isn't that big chucky
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

$110 for a $27 knife with a voided warranty? no thanks
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

vic wrote:yeah because all the nutnfancy fans lurk on the spyderco forums every day, the community here isn't that big chucky
Is that sarcasm? :p

I agree that the community here is not that big, it just seems better informed. ;)
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I watch Nutnfancy's reviews often, however, I would not consider paying that much extra for a little coating.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

I am not a fan of Nutnfancy's videos. I just don't have the time to watch a 15 minute review from him that takes 5 minutes from someone else. One benefit to his videos is that it draws a lot more new people into knife collecting/ shooting.
Taking a $30 dollar knife and selling it for $110 just because you know you have such loyal followers is just wrong in my eyes. Just my .02
Spyder Count: 7
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I_like_sharp_things wrote: Taking a $30 dollar knife and selling it for $110 just because you know you have such loyal followers is just wrong in my eyes. Just my .02
I think there is a misunderstanding with why things cost what they do.

I'm not sure if there is $70 of labor and materials in this mod. Frankly I haven't even looked it up. That said, if done to the level people say it seems more than a guy with a rattle can of generic paint. Even then, doing it right would take more than 30 seconds and a nickel of paint.

The question is if the exclusivity and benefit is worth the extra money. That's a debate which both parties are right based on the weight placed on the features.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

A wise man once wrote that "brevity is the soul of wit," and if that is true, then Nutnfancy is far from witty. That said, he seems like a nice enough guy and I would be lying if I said I didn't occasionally watch a video or two from him.

As far as the special Nutnfancy knife goes, , ,I agree with others who've noted that paying that much for a knife that isn't that terribly special isn't my cup of tea. But I won't knock on those who did buy one. To each his own.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I gotta say... I'm a little surprised at the derisive tone being taken here. I'm not a huge fan of youtube reviews in general (I prefer the written variety with lots of pictures myself), mind you... but this crowd is generally more accepting of stuff like this. I can only imagine what would have happened if someone had taken such a dim view of people who paid 50 bucks extra for an endura that some guy ground a bit of the blade off of and signed. :p

I'm half joking... obviously I'm referring to the Janich customized enduras, and I am aware that there is more work in those than just grinding a bit of the tip off and hitting them with a sharpie. But, saying that they just went at these knives with some spraypaint and shipped em' is probably just as inaccurate. I had never even heard of this tenacious project until this thread... but I had heard of missionspeccamo, and I've heard good things about the duracoat they apply (to guns, at least). Good work sometimes costs good money.

I'm not saying that this is a great value or anything... just that the e-atmosphere ( :p ) here is getting a little judgmental. Lets all lighten up and remember that the thing that brings us together is the ability to justify spending sometimes obscene amounts of our hard earned money on pocket knives... putting the majority of us in a pretty bad spot for stone-slinging :D :D
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

90% of this is level headed. When did having a rational opinion turn into slander and assault?

I'm done trying at threads like this. Time to stock up on stuffed animals and gumdrops. It's easier to launch a spacecraft into orbit than have a normal conversation over the Internet.

Happy glitter and puppy dogs,

Blerv