will there be a yoji 2 trainer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Cook

will there be a yoji 2 trainer?

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: still waiting for a yoji I trainer!! are there plans for a trainer for the sequel? :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I would be exponentially more interested in the Yojimbo 2 if there was a trainer. Perhaps even enough so to swap my EDC folder to one with a :spyder: on it.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I am curious about trainers, why are people interested in them? I could understand a trainer of a balisong, to prevent injury, but why of a folder?
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Bradley wrote:I am curious about trainers, why are people interested in them? I could understand a trainer of a balisong, to prevent injury, but why of a folder?
Fair question. The MBC crowd likes to train... and whenever possible, they like to do so with a training aid that replicates the weight, size, and operating method of their EDC. Me, I train with 5 dollar rubber knives covered with shoe polish. Goes without saying that the MBC method is better... but mine is WAY cheaper :p .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Bradley wrote:I am curious about trainers, why are people interested in them? I could understand a trainer of a balisong, to prevent injury, but why of a folder?
Because folding knife in-fight tool access is pretty non-optimal, to be frank. You need a tool that lets you practice tool presentation while under stress without cutting your partners throat on accident.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Because the yo2 is designed for mbc. Which is a self presrevation technique. Something you would want to practice and do drills with so you're familiar with how the live blade would act without all the blood and stitches. Practice drawing it and opening it and other techniques in semi contact scenarios. As far as I know spyderco made the first commercial metal training knives. Butterfly trainers came after. Its always better to train with what you carry.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

ohhhhhh, ok. Thank you very much :)
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think it depends on what your doing. Demos/drills are one thing but a $100 sparring knife?

Spyderco makes a cool trainer. It's great to have a live/safe set and definitely cool. That said I'm more of Jordan's mindset.
markg

Post by markg »

Blerv wrote:I think it depends on what your doing. Demos/drills are one thing but a $100 sparring knife?

Spyderco makes a cool trainer. It's great to have a live/safe set and definitely cool. That said I'm more of Jordan's mindset.
In reality, training demands multiple levels of training tools. For more contact, higher "amp-age" homemade trainers made from foam and duct tape are in order. For training without protective arm padding, rubber knives work well. Even so, I would not do too much without some eye protection, even with rubber knives. Training versions of live blades work well with some form of light arm protection. They do give the feel and balance of your live blade, and allow you to work from the pocket. Mr. Janich's MBC has a lot of blade to arm contact so some padding on the wrist is a must.

The point being, for good training, you need an array of training tools. More than likely you can make any one work in all situations, however the old saying holds true, "the right tool for the job."

For the casual knife buyer, paying $100 for a trainer makes no sense. Unless you are a die hard collector. However for those who use them, $100 is nothing in light of the use the trainer will see.
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

markg wrote:In reality, training demands multiple levels of training tools. For more contact, higher "amp-age" homemade trainers made from foam and duct tape are in order. For training without protective arm padding, rubber knives work well. Even so, I would not do too much without some eye protection, even with rubber knives. Training versions of live blades work well with some form of light arm protection. They do give the feel and balance of your live blade, and allow you to work from the pocket. Mr. Janich's MBC has a lot of blade to arm contact so some padding on the wrist is a must.

The point being, for good training, you need an array of training tools. More than likely you can make any one work in all situations, however the old saying holds true, "the right tool for the job."

For the casual knife buyer, paying $100 for a trainer makes no sense. Unless you are a die hard collector. However for those who use them, $100 is nothing in light of the use the trainer will see.
I think that is spot on. Particularly that last bit. Speaking for myself, if the trainer variants were substantially cheaper than the actual knives... I'd consider picked one up every now and again. But to pay a hundred bucks for a dull knife seems borderline insane to me. And that is coming from someone who "gets" why they are valuable training aids. In my eyes, and the eyes of many members of the knife buying public, the cost/benefit ratio doesn't come out right.

As far as training goes... couldn't have said it better myself. The more mental and physical tools you bring to the mat, the better off you'll be.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Since they aren't actually cheaper, doesn't it make just as much sense to purposely dull an actual Yojimbo 2?
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
markg

Post by markg »

dj moonbat wrote:Since they aren't actually cheaper, doesn't it make just as much sense to purposely dull an actual Yojimbo 2?
They are not dulled, it is a whole trainer blade. One challenge with the Yojimbo is making a non-pointy Wharncliffe, it has a whole different blade profile than the live blade. In many cases the the steel is downgraded too.

Trainers will have special colored handles and the holes in the blades (to give the blade the proper weight without grinding the edge) give an additional cue that you have a trainer. I get a bit cautious when someone has made a home made trainer... I really need to check it out first to feel safe. Very easy to get confused sometimes too. Dulling a Wharncliffe is going to take a lot of metal off the tip and to grind back the edge... Going to look like a 2 inch stick when you are done.

It is like children's clothing... You would think they would be cheaper as they have less material. However they take just as much labor, reflected in the cost.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Further commenting on the "dulling" question: Not really.

As mentioned taking the mean out of the actual knife would take a TON of work. Even a rounded edge and tip would be horribly dangerous. If you can weld material on the knife it would make more sense but still, a ton of work.
The trainers are same width from spine to blade/tip. The handles are red which helps prevent using the wrong tool or freaking out your partner.

I can see how trainers are invaluable for some. Training from in-pocket is very smart and true trainers are necessary for someone doing quality instruction. You won't get much respect for pulling out a Mattell "Ninja Master" plastic knife.

While somewhat off-topic the philosophy of working from a draw is a debate for another time. The only knife I can see accessing under duress is an accessible fixed blade personally. All conditions are different of course but if someone(or plural) is throwing punches, pipes or bottles the last thing I'm gonna do is dig in my pocket.
markg

Post by markg »

Blerv wrote: While somewhat off-topic the philosophy of working from a draw is a debate for another time. The only knife I can see accessing under duress is an accessible fixed blade personally. All conditions are different of course but if someone(or plural) is throwing punches, pipes or bottles the last thing I'm gonna do is dig in my pocket.
Mike Janich's article in the latest issue of Tactical Knives magaizine addresses this reality.

No, you can't really draw during an attack, but you will have to sometime. :)