Reworked CF Kiwi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hiredgun

Reworked CF Kiwi

Post by hiredgun »

Not the best photo in the world, but I thought I'd share a recent project for your viewing pleasure. I had a Carbon Fiber Kiwi and there was a chip in one of the scales so I decided to send it off to Bill Wirtel at Santa Fe Stoneworks and had them put on Dinosaur Bone scales. I like how they polish up the matte bolsters too. Anyway, I've always wanted something in Dino Bone and here it is. I'm very happy with the job they did. I must say I miss the original Kiwi. I hope Spyderco brings it or something like it back.

You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
jossta

Post by jossta »

Holy crap. I now will not rest until I have something with dino bone. That is awesome.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

hiredgun wrote:Not the best photo in the world, but I thought I'd share a recent project for your viewing pleasure. I had a Carbon Fiber Kiwi and there was a chip in one of the scales so I decided to send it off to Bill Wirtel at Santa Fe Stoneworks and had them put on Dinosaur Bone scales. I like how they polish up the matte bolsters too. Anyway, I've always wanted something in Dino Bone and here it is. I'm very happy with the job they did. I must say I miss the original Kiwi. I hope Spyderco brings it or something like it back.

That is beautiful. I just bought a Kiwi3 slip joint with the sole purpose of making inlays from different materials. Seeing yours makes me want to get started even more. My work will not even be close to as gorgeous as the work Mr. Wirtel did but that goes without saying. One day I saw a Kiwi with mother of pearl and was thinking of paying the rediculous price they were asking because I liked it so much. If I had been looking at yours I'd have paid without the second thought that kept me from getting the MOP knife. I envy you the ownership of the knife. Forget about the CF. Your "new" knife is definately trading up IMO.

Jack
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

is that real dinosaur bone? or is that something a clever marketing guy came up with?
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

looks nice, and yeah that is real dino bone. there are a few sites that sell fossils for knife making, gun handles etc.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

tonydahose wrote:looks nice, and yeah that is real dino bone. there are a few sites that sell fossils for knife making, gun handles etc.
I don't mean to pry but I am curious. How much does that stuff cost? Forget labor, just bone. Dinobone must be kind of rare, dinos being out of the picture for a few million years.

Jack
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

the one site that i knew use to carry it is only carrying mammoth tooth now but i just did a search on ebay with "dinosaur bone" and got close to 1400 hits.
My knives
spyderfly

dino bone kopa

Post by spyderfly »

I recently done a :spyder: kopa with dino-bone, very hard material to work with but came out nice
Attachments
kopa dino bone 001.jpg
kopa dino bone 001.jpg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 915 times
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Spyderfly: Yours did come out very nice. It has a different color. I guess it was only a matter of time so I'll ask. What type dinosaur did your bone come from. Brontosaurous, T-Rex or what? :) Is this info known or is it just dino-bone? Please forgive my dino-spelling. :rolleyes:

Jack
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Mine came with a certificate of authenticity certifying that my scales are petrified dinosaur bone. The age of the bone is somewhere between 125 million and 160 millions years old based on the calculated age of the rock formation in which it was found. This sample was from an Apatosaurus (Brontosaurus) found in the Four Corners area of northwestern New Mexico. It could have been from Utah or Colorado. Colorado would be fitting since the company behind the knife is from Colorado too. :D
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Looks great. Dinosaur bone varies considerably in color and pattern. From what I understand, the first is dependent on the minerals that fill the air spaces and replace the calcium and the second is dependent on the nature of the original bone and the direction in which the piece is cut. Reddish browns are the most common. Lighter colors, like yours, are less common and extremely attractive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i made a few kopas with a mix of dino bone and resin. Link
My knives
jossta

Post by jossta »

That yellow one is sweeeet. I might see if I can find someone to do this with my Persian instead of the Wood or Mammoth Ivory I was planning.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

hiredgun wrote:Mine came with a certificate of authenticity certifying that my scales are petrified dinosaur bone. The age of the bone is somewhere between 125 million and 160 millions years old based on the calculated age of the rock formation in which it was found. This sample was from an Apatosaurus (Brontosaurus) found in the Four Corners area of northwestern New Mexico. It could have been from Utah or Colorado. Colorado would be fitting since the company behind the knife is from Colorado too. :D
At first I was thinking dino-bone would be rare and very expensive but it seems others are playing with it also. It is one of the many things I didn't realize was out there. Can you tell me where you get dino-bone?

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jossta wrote:That yellow one is sweeeet. I might see if I can find someone to do this with my Persian instead of the Wood or Mammoth Ivory I was planning.
Just keep in mind that dinosaur bone is essentially stone, and thus heavier than wood or ivory and considerably more fragile. On something the size of a Kiwi, or even a Kopa, the weight difference is trivial, the double bolsters offer a good bit of protection, and the relatively short liners are extremely rigid so cracks due to flexing are unlikely. On a larger knife stone of any kind can be more problematic.
Paul
jossta

Post by jossta »

Blarg! Thanks for the heads up, guess I have to find a Kopa!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:Just keep in mind that dinosaur bone is essentially stone, and thus heavier than wood or ivory and considerably more fragile. On something the size of a Kiwi, or even a Kopa, the weight difference is trivial, the double bolsters offer a good bit of protection, and the relatively short liners are extremely rigid so cracks due to flexing are unlikely. On a larger knife stone of any kind can be more problematic.
Oh that's right. Stone. Hadn't thought about that. My Dremel and I were going to go into the dino-bone knife handle business. Another dream down the toilet. :( :D

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

spyderfly wrote:I recently done a :spyder: kopa with dino-bone, very hard material to work with but came out nice
That looks amazing...almost like leather but so obviously not.
On the hunt for...
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

jackknifeh wrote:At first I was thinking dino-bone would be rare and very expensive but it seems others are playing with it also. It is one of the many things I didn't realize was out there. Can you tell me where you get dino-bone?

Jack
Well, I'm not too sure of a specific place to secure Dino bone and according to Michael Hoover of Art in Stone knives, he believes it has become very difficult to find it. Of course he only works with superior gem grade materials. Allow me to quote him from a listing on his website for a Buck 110 he did up in stunning Dino bone:

"This Dinosaur Bone is from a Dinosaur Bone with a beautiful mix of colors and good cell structure. Dinosaur Bone is some of the most beautiful stone ever found and is quickly becoming practically unavailable at any price."

His work his definitely worth a look.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The real stuff is relatively expensive and, like many other "semi precious" decorative materials, quality and size determine the price. Reconstituted material is much cheaper.
Paul