VIDEO: Brown Military XHP - EDC Cutting Series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

VIDEO: Brown Military XHP - EDC Cutting Series

Post by Ankerson »

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/so8dsQDK2c0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

Special Thanks to you,for show us you cutting test.
Awesome
Great work!!!
Nice to have one :-)
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Sweet!
jimnolimit

Post by jimnolimit »

excellent video jim, question: what level did you sharpen that to?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jimnolimit wrote:excellent video jim, question: what level did you sharpen that to?
400 Grit Congress Silicon Carbide stone (Same as a 600 Grit EP Stone) then stropped on a Silicon Cardbide loaded strop.
jimnolimit

Post by jimnolimit »

Ankerson wrote:400 Grit Congress Silicon Carbide stone (Same as a 600 Grit EP Stone) then stropped on a Silicon Cardbide loaded strop.
Leather strop? What micron SiC paste are you using?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jimnolimit wrote:Leather strop? What micron SiC paste are you using?
Slurry off my Norton Fine Silicon Carbide Stone, leather strop, the smooth side.

Works better and faster than most would believe, and the edge will be extremely sharp.

I could make fuzzy sticks out of hair with the edge in that video and all I needed was like 2 mins on that strop to bring the edge back after the video.
Bearcat1

Post by Bearcat1 »

Nice video. I appreciate the time you took to perform the test. I know you said it performs similar to ZDP-189. Some people seem to think that ZDP-189 is tough to sharpen until they figure it out. Did you feel this steel was easier to sharpen when compared to ZDP-189?

Thanks Again ! :) :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bearcat1 wrote:Nice video. I appreciate the time you took to perform the test. I know you said it performs similar to ZDP-189. Some people seem to think that ZDP-189 is tough to sharpen until they figure it out. Did you feel this steel was easier to sharpen when compared to ZDP-189?

Thanks Again ! :) :D
XHP is cake to sharpen. :cool:

All these EDC videos are is a short vers of my real tests I do.

Don't think people would want to watch a 2 hour video. LOL

Some would be even longer, like 4 hours for the customs.
Max1975

Post by Max1975 »

Nice to know what my first ever sprint run knife is capable of. Thank you!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

wow, what an amazing steel.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you for sharing video with us.
Ankerson wrote:400 Grit Congress Silicon Carbide stone (Same as a 600 Grit EP Stone) then stropped on a Silicon Cardbide loaded strop.
Do you sharpen free hand or Congress stones can work with Edgepro? IIRC, there are few silicon carbide congress stones, which one do you use?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

razorsharp wrote:wow, what an amazing steel.
Yes, it's a really nice steel, Carpenter did a nice job with it. :cool:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bh49 wrote:Thank you for sharing video with us.

Do you sharpen free hand or Congress stones can work with Edgepro? IIRC, there are few silicon carbide congress stones, which one do you use?
Reprofiled to 30 inclusive on the EP using the 320 and 400 grit Mold Master Congress Stones. If people have an EP those are the only 2 stones they will ever need and they don't wear out either.

The 320 cuts fast enough for reprofiling and sharpening and the 400 is the finishing stone.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Wish a Millie for was legal for EDC in WI
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
jimnolimit

Post by jimnolimit »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:Wish a Millie for was legal for EDC in WI
+1. I wish it was legal to EDC in NYC. If they ever shorten the blade 0.1" i'll own a few.
spydusse

Post by spydusse »

jimnolimit wrote:+1. I wish it was legal to EDC in NYC. If they ever shorten the blade 0.1" i'll own a few.
I live in jersey and it scares me how these two states copy cat each other laws. I think I would move if that crap ever crossed the hudson
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Ankerson wrote:Reprofiled to 30 inclusive on the EP using the 320 and 400 grit Mold Master Congress Stones. If people have an EP those are the only 2 stones they will ever need and they don't wear out either.

The 320 cuts fast enough for reprofiling and sharpening and the 400 is the finishing stone.
I have an EP and recently bought new 320, 600 and 1000 grit stones. The 120 and 220 I don't use as much. These are inexpensive but do wear over time and need re-shaping also. Do the Congress stones need re-shaping? I looked at their web site (quick glance) and they seem to be into polishing as much as sharpening. I've found with the EP if you use a brand new 320 then go to an old well used (thinner) 600 the angle needs to be adjusted just a tiny bit lower if you want the 600 stone to hit the bevel exactly like the 320. The thinner stone raises the angle the stone hits the edge at just a tiny bit. This is very evident when you are polishing low angle, wide bevels. Stones that don't wear out (stay the same thickness) would prevent this. DMT was working on stones to fit into the EP a few months ago. I don't know if they are following up with that or not.

Do the Congress stones come ready for the EP or do you need EP blanks to glue the Congress stones to? I'd like to get some UF ceramic stones to glue to an EP blank. I may try the fine Spyderco 5" stone for this. I don't care much for the tapes that come with the EP but would like to have grit higher than the 1000 grit that comes with the EP.

Back on subject. Thanks for the time you spend testing blades, steel, etc. I kind of do that but my tests are short versions of your short versions of your detailed tests. :D Right now my interest lies in how long a steel will maintain a hair popping edge. If it looses the RAZOR edge but still maintains a very sharp working edge for a long time I wonder why take the trouble to put the razor edge on the knife. Of course different material will effect this differently but I think this would be a test that would result in useful knowledge. And I think different steel would have different results. I've stopped using a strop for a couple of weeks and stopped sharpening with a 600 or 1000 grit EP stone. This leaves my knives with an edge that shaves my arm (hairs don't POP though) and slices through paper very easily but not like the paper is sucking the blade through it. To actually get accurate results for this it might take one of those scales that you put para cord (or something) on and measure how much force it takes to push through the cord with a new razor edge then after cutting something. Maybe the effort to do a test like this isn't worth the trouble when it comes to helping with every day performance. Just thinking on keyboard.

Jack
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Jack,

You have to get the EP blanks and glue the stones on.

The 320 and 400 grit stones I am using don't seem to wear, the only down side is they do load up, but it only takes a few mins to clean them with a brush and dish soap, a small price to pay IMO.

http://www.congresstools.com/congressto ... &parent=27

They are VERY HARD Silicon Carbide.

Yes you will have to watch if you are using a new stone then change to an older stone and make slight adjustments, but they are slight, same thing going from the stones to the tapes.
jimnolimit

Post by jimnolimit »

Ankerson wrote:the only down side is they do load up, but it only takes a few mins to clean them with a brush and dish soap
i have a hard combination stone (i believe baystate), when it loads up i use ajax and a little water to clean the swarf off, it works well.