Is It Time? For A New Harpy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I have always wanted to have one or two in G-10 with ZDP-189. It has my vote.
JD Spydo

G-10 and ZDP-189: A cool combination

Post by JD Spydo »

Lord vader wrote:I have always wanted to have one or two in G-10 with ZDP-189. It has my vote.
It's interesting that there is a broad based concensus that G-10 handles and ZDP-189 steel go good together.

And I'm not hinting that VG-10 is not good enough for a new Harpy. I love VG-10 but I do like ZDP-189 just a bit better for many reasons.

But a grippy handle to me is a "MUST" when using a Hawkbill because pull cutting requires a good grip. Micarta would also be a very interesting candidate for a new Harpy handle material.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Post by 1623 »

JD Spydo wrote:It's interesting that there is a broad based concensus that G-10 handles and ZDP-189 steel go good together.

And I'm not hinting that VG-10 is not good enough for a new Harpy. I love VG-10 but I do like ZDP-189 just a bit better for many reasons.

But a grippy handle to me is a "MUST" when using a Hawkbill because pull cutting requires a good grip. Micarta would also be a very interesting candidate for a new Harpy handle material.
I was under the impression that Micarta was fairly slick.

I've never handled this material though, am I incorrect?
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

JD Spydo wrote:But a grippy handle to me is a "MUST" when using a Hawkbill because pull cutting requires a good grip.
I agree whole-heartedly! That was my main reason for getting the G-10 Harpy when I already had the SS Harpy. The SS Harpy is a bit hard to hold onto for me (arthritis).
JD Spydo wrote:Micarta would also be a very interesting candidate for a new Harpy handle material.
Interesting - maybe, "grippy" - no.

I have a half a mini-Dyad that I found (one blade broken off) that has, I believe, the brown Micarta handle. It is pretty slick/smooth. If your hands were wet or sweaty, it too, would be pretty hard to hold onto, so I would have to disagree with it being "grippy". :D
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

S30V, PE/SE, Sage1 type CF
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
JD Spydo

Hawkbills are Seki Spyders

Post by JD Spydo »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:S30V, PE/SE, Sage1 type CF
I seriously doubt that any of the Crucible blade steels could be used because all of the Spyderco Hawkbills with the exception of the Byrd Crossbill model are all made in Seki City Japan.

I'm sure if they do indeed make a new Harpy available I'm sure it will be one of the Japanese steels ( which are very good blade steels).

The G-10 handle material that is on the new Ayoob model would be perfect for a Harpy
Brandon -B-

Post by Brandon -B- »

Hi everyone. I just popped in the forum because I just bought a Carbon fiber Lum (my first spydie in about 6 years.) and lo and behold a thread on one of my favorite ever working knives. I've been carrying Striders exclusively but the one knife that could change that would be an updated G10 Harpy. For the life of me I'll never know why I got rid of mine as it was pretty much the perfect working blade for me. I've never been interested in a FRN or Steel handled knife because grippy G10 is just so nice to use. The finish on the Lum's special CF looks amazing but doesn't have enough grip for me to be a working knife. Maybe a different finish on the CF would be a good alternative. Anyway I'm all for an updated Harpy (oh yeah, fully serrated just like it is now)
If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

JD Spydo wrote:I seriously doubt that any of the Crucible blade steels could be used because all of the Spyderco Hawkbills with the exception of the Byrd Crossbill model are all made in Seki City Japan.
Which is NOT to say that if they DID make it in Colorado out of S30V, we wouldn't be interested! :eek: :D :D

(Just wanted to get that out there! LOL! :D )
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
JD Spydo

A Seki Harpy> Fine by me>> Just so it has G-10 handle

Post by JD Spydo »

bohica1998 wrote:Which is NOT to say that if they DID make it in Colorado out of S30V, we wouldn't be interested! :eek: :D :D

(Just wanted to get that out there! LOL! :D )
I can appreciate that response for several reasons. But I for sure thought that the Superhawk would have been the first Golden CO USA Earth made Hawkbill because of the mega-thread that led up to it >> Dear Lord was I wrong about that one :o

For whatever reason I do believe that any Harpy with any new handle will come from Seki Japan. But that's cool with me because I love my Seki Spyders just fine. I would love to see at least one Hawkbill come from the Rocky Mountain Spyder headquarters but I'm not holding my breath either.

No our Japanese knife making brothers that assemble our Seki Spyders are fine by me. This very day I'm carrying and using 2 of them.

Actually I'd love to see a Super-Hawkbill made with S90V or CPM D2. But if we can get a G-10 Harpy I would be more than glad to carry a new one with Seki Japan stamped on the heel of the blade.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I was just trying to say that I don't really care WHERE it's made if they DO make it. I'm not as concerned with which steel is chosen, because I trust that it will be a good one. As for color, well, unless they come up with something like that "Diaper Content Brown" that the latest Matriarchs came in, I'm not too worried there either. (If they do, there's always dye, spray-paint, something, to make it black) :D :D :D
JD Spydo

Color is negotiable

Post by JD Spydo »

I love my G-10 Harpy with the black handle that it was born with. And I would be very content if the new one also had a black G-10 handle. To me BLACK is one color you just can't go wrong with.

Albeit if I had any say in the matter I would love to see the handle in one of the 3 "NUCLEAR" colors>> i.e. Nuclear Yellow, Nuclear Orange, Nuclear Green.

I do like my Tasman in Nuclear Yellow because it is so easy to find if you drop or lose it. I was snorkeling in the Gulf in the Florida panhandle 3 years ago and I dropped my Tasman in about 6 feet of water ( with a lot of wave activity to boot). And I had very little trouble finding it.

Hawkbills and nuclear colors do seem to go well together. But I will never gripe about any knife handle being black or with any other dark color.

But with blade steel I would want VG-10 or better. I leave the Tasman in the H-1 camp and want the Harpy with a supersteel.
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

its time!