Is It Time? For A New Harpy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Is It Time? For A New Harpy?

Post by JD Spydo »

Being a devout Hawkbill fanatic for years now I've owned and used one Spyderco Hawkbill more than any other and that is Spyderco's flagship Hawkbill the good old C-08 Harpy.

I'm currently EDCing a G-10 handled, ATS-55, SE Harpy from the late 90s/early 2000s era and have been for many months now and I can't imagine retiring it any time soon. I've owned the Harpy in just about every available past model offering. I've had the Carbon Fiber, The stainless handled and even at one time had a custom Yellowhorse model of this great workhorse of a Hawkbill.

Currently my favorite is the G-10 handled model for many obvious reasons. I personally have nothing against the more common stainless handled version but I do like the grip factor of the G-10 or even Carbon Fiber handle much better because I do work around some wet and greasy environments.

I do believe that NOW is the time for a new Harpy with a grippy handle. Also with all the newer/super steels out there wouldn't it be great to have one or 2 of them in either ZDP-189 or one of the other great new blade steels.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know that Brother Bohica is on the same page I'm on :cool: ;) .

Maybe some of you have your own ideas as to what would be a stellar improvement to this great old time tested Hawkbill. I do believe that the Harpy deserves a shot at a new facelift. If many of you love this old model as I do then please tell us what you would be your ideal version of the Harpy.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've often wondered why the Harpy seems to be so neglected. It could really use an update. I like the G-10 idea, but with something a little more robust than the ATS-55 it originally came with.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

New handle, new steel

Post by JD Spydo »

jabba359 wrote:I've often wondered why the Harpy seems to be so neglected. It could really use an update. I like the G-10 idea, but with something a little more robust than the ATS-55 it originally came with.
Oh I couldn't agree more with you on that Brother ;) But I don't think there are any worries about ATS-55 being used on any future models. I don't think it's even been available since 2002 or thereabout. My boss just got the new Sprint run of the Ayoob and the G-10 handle on that knife is even superior to the one I have which I love very dearly. That newer type of G-10 would be an absolutely perfect handle material for a Harpy ( or any Hawkbill for that matter).

I would definitely like to see the Harpy with a supersteel like ZDP-189 or something comparable.

I would also entertain the thought of one with a knurled or slotted titanium handle as well as G-10 or Carbon Fiber.

I think a "reborn Harpy" would generate huge interest in this old flagship model.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Curse my vague response! I didn't mean to say an update would still use ATS-55, but that the only current way to get one in G-10 is to buy the old one with that steel!

I'd imagine an updated one would use VG-10, though I wouldn't say no to ZDP or one with Ti liners (assuming the G-10 would need liners) and H1 for the ultimate in toughness!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

Handles in variety please

Post by JD Spydo »

jabba359 wrote:Curse my vague response! I didn't mean to say an update would still use ATS-55, but that the only current way to get one in G-10 is to buy the old one with that steel!

I'd imagine an updated one would use VG-10, though I wouldn't say no to ZDP or one with Ti liners (assuming the G-10 would need liners) and H1 for the ultimate in toughness!
Oh I'm with you 100% on the Titanium ( or comparable) liners. My G-10 Harpy has a single liner but I would truly prefer it with a double Titanium liner for sure.

I also definitely want any new Harpy to be fully available in plain edge because currently PE Harpys are kind of tough to come by. I love Hawkbills in PE and SE. Both variants truly have their place.

One of my favorite outdoor Hawkbills is my old blue handled PE Spyderhawk. Yes I have a user model of that great classic and I wouldn't sell it for anything.

I wouldn't even mind a really beefed up version of a Harpy with an FRN handle.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would love to see even a g10/vg10 FFG model. Heck, unlined if it saves money. A 2ish ounce grippy slicing hawk? Plz :)
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Testify, Joe! Grippy handle, tip-up, and a super sharp plain edge, gimme, gimme, gimme! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I agree the harpy is one of the coolest knives. I just gave my harpy a rest after 15 years of carry. The bad part is, up until year ago, I didn't know how to sharpen. I also using it to cut wire and coax. So the blade is pretty messed up.

Now that I know better, I think I'm going to send it to spyderco and have them rework the edge. Then it should be good to go again. Lockup is still tight.

Anyway, after all that, I'm up for a new harpy. ZDP would be cool. Sign me up!
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

JD Spydo wrote:I'm currently EDCing a G-10 handled, ATS-55, SE Harpy from the late 90s/early 2000s era and have been for many months now and I can't imagine retiring it any time soon.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know that Brother Bohica is on the same page I'm on :cool: ;) .

Maybe some of you have your own ideas as to what would be a stellar improvement to this great old time tested Hawkbill. I do believe that the Harpy deserves a shot at a new facelift. If many of you love this old model as I do then please tell us what you would be your ideal version of the Harpy.
I too am currently EDCing a G-10 handled, ATS-55, SE Harpy. It's just too darned handy not to.

OH YEAH! We are DEFINITELY on the same page where hawkbills are concerned! :D :D

I would love to see the G-10 Harpy make a comeback, whichever steel gets chosen. Even better, a G-10 Harpy/Spyderhawk Combo! :eek: :D :eek:

Seriously, the Spyderhawk just SCREAMS for a grippy G-10 handled version! And coinciding with a re-release of the G-10 Harpy? That would just be an Awesome Duo!
15 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14PBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
JD Spydo

Yep!! Now's the Time all right

Post by JD Spydo »

bohica1998 wrote:I too am currently EDCing a G-10 handled, ATS-55, SE Harpy. It's just too darned handy not to.

Seriously, the Spyderhawk just SCREAMS for a grippy G-10 handled version! And coinciding with a re-release of the G-10 Harpy? That would just be an Awesome Duo!
By the time Christmas 2011 gets here it would be the "Ultimate Gift Set"!! Would it not?

Reintroduce the Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle and the original VG-10 blade and the Harpy G-10 handle with ZDP-189>>> It's truly high time both Hawks got a facelift

This could possibly make a lot of folks want the Harpy for their main EDC.

I've been EDCing a Hawkbill (Harpy) and a standard blade for daily EDC for a few years now. I use both blades daily and also have a Hawkbill/standard blade duo in my bugout bag as well. NOW may be the time indeed :cool:
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

+1

A G-10 Harpy - Spyderhawk combo with PE and SE in one of the new supersteels would be very desirable, imho.

Post by 1623 »

The Harpy is high on my want list but I can't seem to overcome my dislike for the Steel handle.

G10 with ZDP or VG10, PE or SE and I'd be all over it.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
catamount

Post by catamount »

A G-10 harpy sounds great. Both PE and SE, FFG, please.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

JD Spydo wrote: I would also entertain the thought of one with a knurled or slotted titanium handle as well as G-10 or Carbon Fiber.
What about the Nishijin CF weave?
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
JD Spydo

Tell me more

Post by JD Spydo »

yowzer wrote:What about the Nishijin CF weave?

Pardon my lengthy absence from this great forum. I'm personally not familiar with that variant of Carbon Fiber.

I am intrigued with the wide array of CF used by the Swiss knife company Klotzli.

But if this type of CF is grippy I want to hear more about it.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I've mentioned this before regarding the Tasman....but as far as the Harpy goes...I' love to see it patterned off the design of the byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill with a choil etc...maybe a "Dodo" blue shade of G10?
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

JD Spydo wrote:Pardon my lengthy absence from this great forum. I'm personally not familiar with that variant of Carbon Fiber.

I am intrigued with the wide array of CF used by the Swiss knife company Klotzli.

But if this type of CF is grippy I want to hear more about it.
It's the one used on the current Lum Chinese. Not grippy like the peel ply CF, but it's not slippery either despite being polished and smooth.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

More hawkbills the better. Would love a g10 or micarta Harpy in blue :D
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JD Spydo

Any CF is fine by me. But I do like Peel Ply especially

Post by JD Spydo »

yowzer wrote:It's the one used on the current Lum Chinese. Not grippy like the peel ply CF, but it's not slippery either despite being polished and smooth.
Personally I like all the Carbon Fiber handles I've ever had. Now I do like the "Peel Ply" you mentioned about the best of any of them I've used thus far.

One of the properties I love about Carbon Fiber is it's solid rigidity. It just has a great feel to it all over. A Harpy with Peel Ply CF would be a true "Cat's Meow" for me. But I wouldn't be opposed to any other CF either.

Now I don't like Kraton handles because every one of them I've ever had seem to deteriorate or get gummy over time. Whereas I've never had any G-10 or CF go bad on me.
markg

Post by markg »

There is a small but devoted group of hawkbill lovers. Devoted yes, but small. From a marketing standpoint there is just not enough market demand to have numerous variants of this blade profile in the line up. However Spyderco has proven to be willing to throw marketing to the wind and please enthusiasts. So if anyone was willing to do it, it would be them.

I really would not be too interested for a couple of reasons. One, I love both my Tasman and Spyderhawk, plus I can take them swimming. :) Second, given that any Harpy is going to be made in Japan, the cost is going to be more than most are willing to pay. Just a sad reality right now.

That being said, if I could get a VG-10, G-10 (or Peel-Ply CF) Harpy for $95 I would buy one. However I don't see that happening.