Spyderco Sharpening service question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Aedrick

Spyderco Sharpening service question

Post by Aedrick »

Hi, I have a question regarding the sharpening service offered by Spyderco. The website says to include $5 for the return shipping. Is that $5 per knife or just $5 for how many ever knives I want to send in? I might want to send in like 10 knives if it was only $5 for the whole package. Thanks!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Call Spyderco in Golden at 800-525-7770 and I'm sure they will have an answer for you. Personally, I much prefer the edge I can get with a Sharpmaker by working through the diamond to UF rods. That process turns out a much more refined edge than the factory edges. Not that the factory edges aren't usually good, but this way my edge geometry is locked on and maintaining the edge is a breeze.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

It's $5 for how many ever knives you want to send in. The sharpening is free, the money is for return shipping. Good luck!
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

My philosophy when I started to buy these things was to learn how to maintain my own blades. Keeping with that that thinking has helped enhance my knowledge of the steels and increase my appreciation of them even though I am not especially gifted with it.

I do pretty darn well now though and the satisfaction that comes from making it sharp again helps you appreciate the knives even more. I will admit I am a novice of novices though, sharpening can get pretty deep.

I can only encourage folks to take the time and have the patience to learn to sharpen yourself. There's plenty of advice here on the forum for the taking should you choose to take it. Like SQSAR said you can get a much more refined edge, then polish it :D

Have to confess I'm still scared of ZDP SE :o
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
rycen

Post by rycen »

Here is what I like to do because I want to keep this service around as long as possible.I do send a few in at a time but anything Delica or larger I include $5 per knife.Anything smaller than that if I have others I just throw them in.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

It's $5 shipping fee for up to three knives. ;)
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that, although it's nice that they offer the service. But for me half the fun of being into knives is being into sharpening them too. :)
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Sweetness34

Post by Sweetness34 »

With my experience its $5 for the entire package and I've sent in upwards of 7 at a time.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

How does the re-sharpening service compare to the brand new edge. In my experience new Spyderco knives come very sharp but I've only had two with a VERY sharp edge. Both ZDP-189. Michael Walker and blue Stretch. The others I sharpen immediately to get a sharper edge than new. Also I like a mirror bevel compared to the scratchy one that comes on new knives. I'm not complaining about the level of sharpness on new knives at all. I'm just curious about how they sharpen the "send-ins". If you request a hair whittling mirror polished edge would that cost more? I assume free sharpening would mean they come back close to how the brand new knives come.

Jack
texascolt45

Post by texascolt45 »

i sent an old endura in to be sharpened.wasn't very impressed with the edge that came back.not much better if not the same as when it went in.learned on my old sharpmaker to do it right.kinda became my practice blade.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

texascolt45 wrote:i sent an old endura in to be sharpened.wasn't very impressed with the edge that came back.not much better if not the same as when it went in.learned on my old sharpmaker to do it right.kinda became my practice blade.
Sounds strange that it wasn't much sharper when you get the Endura back. Then again, I don't know how sharp it was when you sent it to them. If the person who sharpened it wasn't as experienced as some others they should have gotten a second opinion before putting it back in the mail. I'm just thinking out loud without knowing anything about what the knife went through at Spyderco.

The prices I've seen for sharpening services are usually $20 or more when advertised on a web site. I've also heard a standard is $1 per inch of blade. I'm sure there would be a minimum like $5 for smaller knives. That is just to get it sharp. If the customer want's a nice mirror bevel (which can take much longer) or the edge is in terrible shape the price would go up. That came from someone who sharpens professionally.

Jack