Does your manix 2 look like mine?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pry

Does your manix 2 look like mine?

Post by pry »

I just got the bd30p sprint today and I was a little disappointed at the roughness on the liners. They have tool marks all the way around and a bumpy/wavey finish on one end. My tenacious liners look nothing like this. Doesnt really affect the function but I guess I expected more for the price.

Heres a quick pic.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hmmm that's bad! I'm sure your knife won't cut because of those liners. Those rough liners will also cause your knife to self destruct in a week's time. :p
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Mine looks like yours except yours has a couple of deeper marks. I hadn't noticed it but I just looked at mine under a magnifying glass and the grinding marks are there. You can see them with the naked eye but not so much that I noticed them. I have no idea what it would take to make the cuts smoother during manufacturing or if there would be any increase in cost. Smoother would be nicer but if it increased the price I'd say don't worry about it.

Then again I buy knifes intending on using them so these marks are ok with me because I will use my Manix2 as an EDC work knife. I wouldn't take it to a wedding. But, I would want a nice looking gentlemen's knife to have a better appearance.

Jack
spydusse

Post by spydusse »

I use and use and use my knives but one coming new to me like that would piss me off and I would send it in. Just my two cents
pry

Post by pry »

Yeah its not that big a deal i guess? The grinding marks dont bother me as much as the wavey surface, it is really obvious. It seems the chinese can make smooth and flat liners for 1/4 the cost, my tenacious liners are flawless. I have kershaw blems that I cant even find a flaw with and yet they are sold as factory seconds. Seems strange that haggard up liners get through QA and onto sprint runs for marked up prices. Oh well I guess.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Looks like the laser machine was out of adjustment....incorrect center,cut depth,speed,incorrect tip, or dirty lens etc. Machine could have crashed and nobody noticed......at least thats what it looks like to me, but then again its been a few years since I have run a Mazak. ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
unit

Post by unit »

No offense to anyone or anything but I never thought I'd see the day someone posts up a macro of a Manix2 with a f&f concern.

It might just be me but that model never struck me as an attractive piece and certainly not a show piece. To me the Manix2 is all about value and function. I thought they came with a pair of work gloves in the box :)

Seriously that does look pretty irregular, but I imagine the knife will be in spec.

Call them and ask. But if you are going to use it, blow it off and enjoy!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

pry wrote:Seems strange that haggard up liners get through QA and onto sprint runs for marked up prices.
I seriously doubt Spyderco puts a higher markup on Sprints than on any of their other knives. It's just not how they do business. Most reputable dealers do not jack the prices on them either. If you paid more, that's not something Spyderco had any part in.

As for the differences between knives, it's mostly a question of material and method. Liners that are stamped or coined, then tumbled, do tend to be more uniform in finish than laser cut ones but also tend to be softer. But yes, rough liners, especially ones that look like whatever cut them was chattering, do seem to be more common on models made in Golden than on those made elsewhere and the one on the right side of your Manix 2 does seem to be a particularly rough one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Mine looks the same. Its my first manix and to be honest. If I had the funds I would by another one. I feel it is a great knife for the price. I honestly feel all the ones coming out of Golden ,Co are. Like said already I think you should call spyderco if you want something more than just opinions.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have one in the mail now and will check it when it gets here. This is the most inexpensive Manix 2 sprint yet and I will be happy if mine looks like that.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
pry

Post by pry »

When I say marked up prices what I meant is that you pay more for a sprint run, its a "limited edition" some people even collect them. I guess being that it is a sprint run i am holding it to an even higher standard. I don't know what else to say really, I will just live with it. The fact remains, these are the worst liners of any knife I own, including chinese made products and factory seconds, and I think that's sad.

Here it is compared to my tenacious.

JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

I think since it has the scallops its not so easy to remove the milling marks by simply belt grinding the marks out. Which is what it looks like the tenacious has. Linear scratches. To me it would look more odd if they had done this to only the areas which could be run over the belt in a fluid motion. I don't expect sprints in F&F to be better. I do want them to be different to regular production in some form that I find makes it more interesting to me. Otherwise I just won't buy it. I personally still think only spyderco could give you an answer that would suffice.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

In the first picture I hadn't noticed the wavey liners. They are far more ovbious in the other pictures. If it were my knife I don't know if I would want a replacement but I can see why someone would. I have two Manix2s and both have the scratches but not wavey edges on the liners. One of mine is the black blade (and liners). The scratches aren't as obvious on the blake one but that may be because of the DLC coating. It really does look bad when comparing it to the other knife. I definately think Spyderco should be contacted. The waves in the liner looks like some kind of adjustment on the machine wasn't tight or something.

Jack
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

Im sure it will function fine but it makes me wonder what you can't see.What ifs ? make me lose confidence in any product.Knife,car,gun appliances etc. Usually rough stuff is hidden from what I have seen.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

In that third picture you can definitely see that something wasn't cut right. If you are going to use the knife and not baby it or want to keep it as a collector, then I wouldn't bother with it...it won't affect the knife. But if you want to keep it nice or collect it...then I would talk to Spyderco.
On the hunt for...
Donut

Post by Donut »

It looks like they ran the grinder across the liner instead of with the liner.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
pry

Post by pry »

Donut wrote:I have one in the mail now and will check it when it gets here. This is the most inexpensive Manix 2 sprint yet and I will be happy if mine looks like that.
If not I would be nice enough to trade with you. :)
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Good ol made in the USA quality :o
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

That does look like a pretty rough cut but if you intend to use it I wouldn't sweat it. I know of some spyderco seconds that were only seconds because the g10 wasn't the right shade. Spyderco has a pretty good quality control if you ask me and for the price they put out some of the best steels too. I couldn't see this manix being too collectible but I guess if you want every one in the series it could be. I would see this design more of a user especially with the rougher g10. You could send it in though. Or you could sand it down some. Id just stick it in my pocket.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I noticed the liners on my Manix 2 BD30P the other day were rough as well. I was thinking of touching them up on the belt grinder but then thought what's the point. I'm going to use it.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies