Next Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fishstalker

Next Spyderco?

Post by Fishstalker »

Last month I picked up a Delica in ZDP189 FFG. It's a great knife, but I'm addicted and need/want something new. I'm having a hard time deciding between a Sage 1, Sage 2, Caly 3, or Para 2. I'm leaning toward something in the Sage line, but I just can't decide. :o So what do you think?
:spyder:
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 digi-camo
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE
USN Catcherman
Sage 1
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The good news is you can't go wrong.

I'd go with a Para2 or Caly 3.
:bug-red-white
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

I love my Caly 3- I'm it's third owner and it's for sure one of my users but it's still one great knife. I bought a Sage 3 not too long ago and I am so in love with it that I'm almost afraid to use it- gorgeous, gorgeous knife.

Can't speak for the Paramilitary 2, but I haven't heard one negative thing about it and it's definitely on my list of Spydies to buy in the future.
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

[img][IMG]http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j33 ... AG0085.jpg[/img][/IMG]Go with para 2
35:spyder:
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Can't really speak on any of the others...but I've had a Para2 for a little while now and this thing is amazing...almost go so far as to say its a perfect knife...if there is such a thing...lol. Anywho, I don't think you can go wrong with it.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Mateyhv

Post by Mateyhv »

Really doesn't matter wich one you would pick, they all have the same WOW effect when you first open the box!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

The Para2 has quickly become a staple in the Spyderco line-up. I'd put it on par with the Delica, Endura, and Manix2 as a 'must have' for every Spyderco enthusiast. As soon as you get that, the Caly will be a nice compliment to your collection as well. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of the Sage line, although I'm sure there are plenty of guys who are.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

My two most EDC'd knives out of my collection of about 120ish would be the Caly 3 and the Para amongst a couple of others. Either of those two will serve you extremely well if you sharpen them nicely and occasionally give them some nice words :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Fishstalker wrote:Last month I picked up a Delica in ZDP189 FFG. It's a great knife, but I'm addicted and need/want something new. I'm having a hard time deciding between a Sage 1, Sage 2, Caly 3, or Para 2. I'm leaning toward something in the Sage line, but I just can't decide. :o So what do you think?
My thoughts: You have a perfect EDC in the Delica. Perfect size, good steel, tough handle material. What do you want another knife for? :confused:

First thing is what category should the knife fit into as far as it's use. Then whittle the choices down within each category. Categories for me would be:

1. Just plain EDC: Delica4 or similar. That's covered already.

2. Dressy/professional (like an office work environment): Sage 1 or something similar like a Caly 3 or maybe a little smaller (not bigger). Classy look. I just ordered a Kiwi slip joint (no clip) with stag inlays in the handle and plan on making inlays of other material like CF, MOP, Micarta, etc. for different looks.

3. Hard work knife: You may want to go less expensive in case of loss or damage. I have a Byrd Wings I carry on a tool belt that is great. Plain and Serrated blades and lower cost. However, I've been using my Manix2/M4 blade knife for working lately. I bought it for it's strength so I'm going to use it. I'm happy to say I'm happy with it's performance and that makes me happy. In case you don't get it, I'm happy with the knife. :D

That fits my needs and yours may be similar or completely different. The point is if you get a Native you will have something similar to the Delica that would fit into the same category IMO. The Native would be a great choice though and is probably my next purchase. I really want one.

As someone else said, there are no bad choices that I've seen with Spyderco knives. Great quality and plenty of choices for different needs.

Jack
PS edit: If you will be carrying a knife everywhere (no need for categories) then anything will work. A dressy knife will go anywhere and so will a hard use knife. Some people are concerned about pulling out a larger knife in public and it used to bother me a little but I made a decision to not worry about it. I paid enough for the knives I have (all users) that I'm going to carry them where I want. I still do carry a smaller knife (Michael Walker) to non-work places instead of a Manix. The reason for that is I love that knife and want to use it.

Oh yeah! Don't forget to look at the Stretch (VG-10 or ZDP-189).
Fishstalker

Post by Fishstalker »

Ok, I decided I'm getting the Para2. Now the question is digi-camo or black?
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE
USN Catcherman
Sage 1
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

No, that's not the question at all :D , it's which Spyderco you will get after that.

The Sage 1 of course :) .
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

All 3 you mentioned are top-of-the-line. Amazing knives. If I had to pick my favorite out of them, I'd have to say the Caly 3 CF always will have a special place in my heart. However, for a user, I love the Sage 1, it has such class, and the fit and finish and smoothness in deployment is just phenomenal. And of course, the Para 2 is an amazingly rugged and versatile EDC. I'd say for outdoor/hiking/camping type use, the Para 2 is definitely the one.

So honestly, I can't say which, other than getting all 3 eventually :D . For a regular EDC though, I think the Sage 1 has a great combination of refinement like the Caly 3, and ruggedness like the Para 2.
TBomb

Post by TBomb »

Good choice with the Para 2. I have an original Para that I used all the time and it still holds a special place in my collection, but I just picked up one of the new sprint run Para 2's with the grey G10 and CTS20-CP and it is pretty freaking sweet. I didn't think the Para could get any better but it did. I kind of like the digi-cam more than the plain black, but either way you can't really go wrong. You will love it!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

My brother has my Sage 1, I do think he appreciates it.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

..wow this turned out long winded

Post by Evil D »

I have a hard time giving advice like this because i'm not a typical knife owner/user. I tend to only buy and carry knives that i won't be afraid of really using, and some knives are just too **** nice and beautiful for me to feel good about laying into them.

I had a Sage 1, and it was on par with the nicest knives i've ever handled. That knife was flawless and so gorgeous, i just couldn't see myself using it and scratching it up and dropping it and all those bad things that happen to EDC knives, so i traded it in on another knife.

The only knife i have that has gotten around this rule is my Caly 3 ZDP, because i already used it and the 420J2 outer layer scratches so easy, i wouldn't get much for it on a trade in and honestly i just love it too much to part with it, so i dedicated this one to dress/holiday/special occasion carry only.

Every other knife i have gets used at one point or another and i have no guilty feeling about abusing the **** out of them if necessary (and by abuse i mean within reasonable knife use, not using them as screwdrivers). Besides the Caly 3, the other knives I have are a Para 1, Para 2, Delica 4 ZDP, Centofante 4, Native SE, and a Ladybug H1 SE hawkbill.

The Ladybug is my key chain knife, which is basically just a backup knife. I'd also use it if i had some kind of spyderedge/hawkbill task that it may do better with than my PE knives.

The Cento 4 i bought because i love wharnies. This knife doubles as another dress/casual EDC and doesn't get used as much as my others, simply because i prefer the others.

The Delica 4 ZDP, i had been carrying religiously until i got the Para 1. This knife was an internet deal at $50 and was my second go at ZDP. I bought this because 1) everyone needs a Delica, 2) i wanted another go at ZDP without risking edge damage to my Caly 3, and 3) it was a great buy. It gets carried when i just want a change from the Paras. It's also my son's "learner knife" until i get him his own Delica (shhh, don't tell him! lol)

The Para 1, this was my first experience with compression locks, as well as my first experience with G10. I have grown to LOVE and prefer both. This knife was borderline holy grail for me just a few days after carrying it. It would still be my primary EDC if not for the next knife...

The Para 2, i got because 1) HYPE, 2) I trust Spyderco and their dedication to constantly improving even the best things, so surely there had to be something better about it, 3) I wear khakis at work and the digicam blends in with them nicely (custom tan G10 is in the future). Initially i wasn't impressed the first time i handled the 2..at least not enough to justify buying a knife that was so similar to one that i already owned. Now that i own it, i'm very satisfied. I like the option of the 4 way clip but i still prefer tip down for this knife, i love that the exposed spine/tang is gone, i love the longer/taller thumb ramp, and i love the larger more comfortable choil. Amazingly enough, i had the owner of the shop weigh both Paras and the 2 came in at .2 grams more than the 1, which is damned impressive to me considering 1/2 inch more blade and full skeletonized nested liners. Overall i have to give Spyderco an A+ for the refinements of this knife and i'd be crazy not to recommend it.

I also had a Manix 2, which was an awesome knife but i just didn't love it. I did like the ball bearing lock and how amazingly smooth the opening/closing was on that knife...it easily takes the cake as the smoothest knife i've ever opened, with the Sage 1 taking a very close second and my Para 1/2 following. I would still have the Manix except it got traded in on the Para. I liked the steel better on the Para, the ergos better, and the lighter package better. Overall i would definitely recommend any of the knives i own.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Evil D wrote:
The Para 2, i got because 1) HYPE, 2) I trust Spyderco and their dedication to constantly improving even the best things, so surely there had to be something better about it
I just wish that they would make some improvements to the lock...I see at least three or four ways that would make it nearly perfect for both handed people.
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I cant say much for the lefty issue, but so far i havent had any issues with sticky locks like others have mentioned.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fishstalker

Post by Fishstalker »

Thanks for all the insight and info guys. I ended up with the digi-camo Para 2, and I can't wait for it to arrive.
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE
USN Catcherman
Sage 1
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Evil D wrote:I cant say much for the lefty issue, but so far i havent had any issues with sticky locks like others have mentioned.
I think that it is ok for lefties, but I have a few things that I think would make it overall a much better lock.
On the hunt for...
Fishstalker

Post by Fishstalker »

I received my Para 2 today. I haven't had time to spend with it yet, but it sure looks sweet!
Delica SE G-2
Ladybug
Tenacious
Centofante III
Centofante IV
Pacific Salt PE
Endura 4 PS
Delica ZDP-189 FFG
Para-Military 2 black
Pacific Salt SE