Wire Clip Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kawr

Wire Clip Question

Post by kawr »

I noticed on my Sage 1 and Sage 2 that the wire clip doesnt fully contact the handle. In fact just one side of the clip makes contact with the scales. Is this the way it was designed? I found this out today and I initially though I had bent out both the clips slightly but I dont think thats the case. Regardless it doesnt make a difference either way and its by far my favorite Spyderco clip. Just curious though.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

My wire clips all touch the handle, but I like a tight clip. It makes it a little harder to remove from the pocket, but that's fine by me.

edit: guess one of them does have the smallest of gaps on one side between the clip and the handle.

edit 2: forgot to check my D'Fly 2. It has a sizable gap on one side, despite the other side contacting the handle very firmly. It still clips into my pocket with authority.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
angusW

Post by angusW »

The ones on my DragonFlys and Sage 1 touch the scales. I would bend it so it's more secure in your pocket.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My wire clips all touch the scales too, and are quite firm.
:bug-red-white
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

My Sage 1 clip is just a hair off the scale. Still holds tight in my pocket though so I haven't bent it yet.
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Clips on my Sage 1 and 2 both touch the scale on the side closest to the grip area and are slightly off the side closest to the backstrap. I say slightly because a single sheet of typing paper will slide under them without resistance but an average thickness business card will not. On my Sage 3, where I moved the clip for LH carry, it's the opposite, backstrap side is tight, grip area side has slight clearance, which means it's the same leg of the clip. Based on that I'd say it's the bends in the clip, rather than the cuts in the handle which the clip rides in, that are slightly asymmetrical.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mateyhv

Post by Mateyhv »

Dragonfly Salt touches the scales on both sides equaly. Would check the Sage back at home.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

One thing I noted on my Sage I is that the clip is probably the weakest clip on any Spydie of similar size. Mine is painted black and seems not to be the heat treated type on my Caly 3 or UKPKs. It is most easily moved side to side of any clip I have. Just my observation. Ive often thought about getting a heat treated clip for it, but a) havent looked to see it would fit and b) just havent gotten around to it. Anyone else notice the same thing or is it as usual in my head? :rolleyes:
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Only have a UKPK and Urbans with a wire clip...but they touch on both sides.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just took a close look at a few more, and I found a couple that do only have one side touching the scale, but they're still very firm.
:bug-red-white
basemodel

Post by basemodel »

I heard somewhere that the wire clips are bent by hand, unlike the hourglass clips which are stamped. It's a more costly process for a lighter clip. Looking at mine it's not perfectly symetrical but both sides do touch the handle.

Pneumothorax, first of all you should get a chest x-ray :D Secondly if it doesn't retain in the pocket very well perhaps you should contact Spyderco, especially after spending good money on a Sage. Or if you the DIY type of person wrap some plyers with tape to avoid scratches.
In hand:
Manix2 154CM PE, Dfly2 Salt SE, Ladybug3 ZDP-189, Ladybug3 Salt Hawkbill, BaliYo

On the way: nothing :(
Mateyhv

Post by Mateyhv »

basemodel wrote:pneumothorax, first of all you should get a chest x-ray :d
lol! :d
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

basemodel wrote:
Pneumothorax, first of all you should get a chest x-ray :D
Would that help explain why I cant breathe and have this chest pain?? :D :D
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
basemodel

Post by basemodel »

Pneumothorax wrote:Would that help explain why I cant breathe and have this chest pain?? :D :D
It may help explain but you get bonus points if you use a Spydie for the thoracentesis!

Okay no more off topic, sorry guys and gals!
In hand:
Manix2 154CM PE, Dfly2 Salt SE, Ladybug3 ZDP-189, Ladybug3 Salt Hawkbill, BaliYo

On the way: nothing :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The one on my Caly 3 touches. Also, be careful not to snag it on anything and bend it out of shape too much..it's a major PITA to get bent back the right way. The wire they use is quite strong.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kawr

Post by kawr »

Honestly I dont think its a problem at all. In fact I like that the clip isnt scratching up the ti scale on my sage 2. Doesnt trash my pockets and stays firmly clipped as well.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I find it helpful to take almost all my clips off of new Spyderco knives to bend and adjust them slightly to make it so they are touching the scales but not super tight. I find this makes them easier to remove and replace from the pocket with less drag on the fabric, while still remaining tight enough to be sufficiently secure so it won't come or fall out of my pocket by accident.

Also, if the clips ever get caught on anything and bent out, this procedure is necessary to bend the clip back to the proper position/tension.

The main point is that clip position (distance from the scale) and tension is easily adjustable so you can make it just as tight or loose as you may want. You are not limited to the way it comes OOTB.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

For what it is worth I have a super old beat up Salsa that is a daily user and both sides are still super tight and the blue anodizing is worn away where the clip is.