Similar Quality Para2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aedmband21

Similar Quality Para2

Post by aedmband21 »

OK so looking for some help here picking out my next spyderco. Don't care how much it costs.

I currently have a delica and endura in FFG, tenacious, native, and para2.

The para2 was my most recent purchase and I'm blown away by the quality. The detent is perfect for me, and the knife opens just soooo smoothly. While the delica is amazing in it's own right, it just doesn't have that "smoothness" to it. (For lack of a better word)

However, I find myself carrying the delica more often just because it's easier to EDC. I work in a conservative corporate office (suit/tie) which doesn't appeal to carrying a para2. The delica is so thin, and weighs next to nothing.

So the question, what knife would you recommend that's smaller, easily carried, and most importantly has that high quality and smoothness of the para2? I realize I may need a thicker knife than the delica to get what I'm looking for, but am willing to go with a shorter blade length to reduce weight. I've looked at the small Sebenza's, but have decided that I will only buy spyderco folders from here on out. Obviously my spyderco collection is limited and I would love to learn about some of the higher-end options out there.

Side question - is the regular military just as smooth as the para2?
Thanks in advance!
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

In my experience, the knives are very similar in quality and operation. I have several military varieties and love them all. The para 2 is like the military in a more compact package.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I don't have a Para2, but do have a bunch of other Spydercos, so I think I know what smoothness you're talking about. If you want something for a conservative office, that has excellent build quality, top notch fit and finish, and superb opening smoothness, then look no further than the Sage line. I own the carbon fiber Sage I and it is a great size for EDC and is very classy looking, making it less likely to draw unwanted attention in the office.

However, if you want a Sebenza alternative, then maybe you should consider the Sage II, as it uses Chris Reeve's Integral lock, is made of Titanium, and is still a Spydie! Many have favorably compared the Sage II to the Sebenza, so that might be the way to go.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Slash

Post by Slash »

why not get a Kopa. I don't see many people being intimidated by some blingy handles they have. seems like a good office knife to me.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

In my collection it would be the Sage 1, similar in size with carbon fiber grips. The next option for a "nice" office knife would be something that is not out yet, and that would be the Chaparral IMO.

Yes the Military is as smooth as the Para 2.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Military is as smooth as Para, but bigger and I am not sure that it would fit in conservative corporate office environment. Try original (bolstered) 75 mm Persian or wait a little for sprint Damascus Delica. Also I will mention Kopa, which is fairly small, but very capable gents knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

leafstorm might be something you should look into
cckw

Post by cckw »

Sage is what came to mind for me. there is the carbon fiber with it's classy look or the blue one that perhaps is a bit camouflaged in a way, by being so bright. like a toy or something.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Caly maybe? Very thin, people say very smooth, can get the CF ZDP version for added classy looks.
On the hunt for...
mattman

Post by mattman »

my first thought is the Sage series as well, for all the reasons Jabba mentioned above... also consider the CF Caly 3... great knife, in a gentlemanly, un-intimidating package.

edit: dang it, Snoo beat me to the punch!

Post by 1623 »

If you don't mind some thoughts from a newb...

I started collecting Spyderco knives in May and have been browsing the forums for a few weeks now. I am currently on number seven in my collection and I'm really enjoying the education along the way. I have found quite a bit of valuable information here, along with some great photographic persuasion :cool:

The PM2 was my first Spyderco and my first high quality EDC knife. I spent many, many hours researching before making a purchase and I agree with you 100% on the quality of this outstanding knife.

The Sage 1 was my immediate second purchase and I have to say that the smooth, effortless mechanics of this model are right there with the PM2. I flat out love this knife! I find it quite comfortable and an absolute joy to carry and use.

I agree with the others here...I would think that the size and elegance of the Sage 1 would suit your needs quite well without being too intimidating for an office environment. I personally feel that it fits right in to the gents folder role very, very well.

The woven carbon fiber scales are very comfortable, provide a solid comfortable grip and the blade was, as all Spydies seem to be, insanely sharp out of the box.

The overall visual package of the Sage is one of beauty and I don't think anyone would take offense or feel intimidated if you were to utilize it in the office. It's a dead sexy knife.

As said, if you were looking for something along these lines in slightly smaller package, the upcoming Chaparral would be a nice choice as well...that little beauty will be number eight for me.

Good luck in your search.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sage 2 or Sage 1. Lum Chinese in Alum or Ti handles is super thin and even lighter. The Junior is a new compression lock that might interest you.

Lockbacks will have spring pressure due to the backspring. I find compression/liner/frame locks to be the smoothest in general.

Edit: Is a Cricket to small? Forgot it.
catamount

Post by catamount »

Another vote for a Sage.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

All good suggestions so far. The Caly 3, Sage 1 or 2, Leafstorm, Kopa. Maybe look into the CF Lum Chinese, or even the Chokwe (smoothest knife I own) if you don't mind something a bit bigger. Also, the small Sebenza is definitely still worth checking out, or even the Mnandi (perfect office knife IMO). I absolutely love my Spydies, but I also love my CRKs.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Everything you said sounds like you need a Sage 1. The quality/fit/finish is superb, it's smooth as butter, and Delica sized.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

My thought was Sage as well. Another "buttery smooth" knife is the Gayle Bradley:

gus88

Post by gus88 »

another vote for Sage 1!!!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Based on OP description, small lightweight for a conservative office place...I think that the CF Caly is still the best choice. Or wait and get the Chapparral.
On the hunt for...
pmek5

Post by pmek5 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Based on OP description, small lightweight for a conservative office place...I think that the CF Caly is still the best choice. Or wait and get the Chapparral.
Ditto that.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

+1 on the CF Caly