I love whittling, but suck at learning.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unit

I love whittling, but suck at learning.

Post by unit »

Today was a great day actually. I degraded a few edges to the point that I needed to re-profile them. That is ALWAYS a satisfying event. I love a freshly sharpened knife!

Anyway, I decided to relax in the best way I know how and went out back to fetch a chunk of wood to whittle. I had a nice bit of damaged cedar on the pile that seemed to call to me.

Things went beautifully. I was carving away enjoying the freshly polished bevels and how the knife glided through the wood. I was having a great time, and started to wonder when I should quit. I often keep at a project too long and end up screwing it up when I should have simply put it down and called it "done".

Well today, the work told me when I was done! I can not even recall exactly what I was doing. Suffice to say that when I carve I OFTEN draw the blade toward me and generally do things that would make most people nervous. I am not saying that anyone should, but many carvers do. I know it is a bad idea, but sometimes you find a need to carve backhanded in a nook or cranny that you just can not get to otherwise. I know I should have gotten my gloves for protection, but I was enjoying myself and did not want to go out to the garage :D

Well, I ended up somehow stabbing my left index knuckle with my Gayle Bradley. It does not look like much, but it is as deep as it is wide and I now can not feel anything with the right side of this finger (what a dumbass). I sure am glad I got a tetanus shot a few months ago!

I managed to get it to close with pressure after a few minutes. Eventually I returned to the table and I flipped the work over to record the date of this lesson. I wish I could say this will be the last time, but I know it won't be ;)

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Wow, bro sorry to hear bout that. Do you plan on going to the doctor if there's serious nerve damage? It would suck to lose feeling in your finger permanently.

Well, if it's any consolation I think your carving looks awesome. Sweet Tiki dude. :)

I once dropped a knife on my toe, due to playing with it of course, but thank God, I had no serious injury. I go fishing to relax now and have poked my fingers a few times with some very sharp hooks. A little blood and it closes but I have a sickening feeling that one day, I might have a more serious injury. Keeps me on my toes, I guess.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Man you might wanna get that looked at if you don't have any feeling. I cut the outside of my 2nd knuckle on my pinky years ago when i was a kid, and i never had it looked at. That whole side is still numb to this day. Of course, they may or may not be able to do anything about it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Get that checked before it heals. They may still be able to do something without surgery at this point. Mabe not, but I'd say it was worth a shot.

Nice carving. I know what you mean about ignoring basic safety to get the job done. I picked up a few nicks getting through this, but nothing like yours.

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

yablanowitz wrote:Get that checked before it heals. They may still be able to do something without surgery at this point. Mabe not, but I'd say it was worth a shot.

Nice carving. I know what you mean about ignoring basic safety to get the job done. I picked up a few nicks getting through this, but nothing like yours.

How the heck did you do that? Did you make each link and join them or what? That's fantastic, BTW.
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

I like how for the beard you left the damaged wood untouched. And I would just try to ignore the cut and hope you get the feeling back. but thats just me
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
unit

Post by unit »

Thanks guys.

I appreciate all the kind words and encouragement to get medical help. I will sound like more of an idiot perhaps, but I have so many nerve issues that even if this is a permanent condition, I am not likely to be bothered by it.

I could post a whole slide show of photos of scars from other injuries (some knife related, many not) that have lead to some of the issues I have. I have no intentions of getting the deposit back on this body when I leave it ;)

I have carved a bunch of stuff lately (I have not bothered to share in a while). Most of it is woodcraft/bushcraft type stuff that is not necessarily pretty, but serves a function (pot hangers, stakes, tarp anchors, and such). You can do some really neat stuff with a knife ;)

This guy is called a wood spirit. I carved it for my oldest son who is quite enamored with wood-lore (gnomes and such). This is my first, but probalby not my last. I think I will use these as toppers for walking sticks in the future.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Ouch! Personally I would call that carving rather than whittling myself. If you do that to yourself again you might think about buying a glove that shouldn't let that happen.

http://www.metalglove.com/en/Metal%20Gloves1.html
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
unit

Post by unit »

I have some whittling gloves I use sometimes. There is a delicate balance between "feel" and safety. Without the right amount of "feel" I can not carve worth a darn.

OTOH, without the right amount of safety, I will not have any fingers left to carve with :D
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Cool carving...sorry about the damage. I hope you heal up quickly.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice work Ken, I hope it isn't too bad.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:How the heck did you do that? Did you make each link and join them or what? That's fantastic, BTW.
Started with a stick and finished with that. You can see how in this thread over on Bladeforums: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... le-a-chain.

I also did a large-scale, easier to follow piece here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... in-(take-2)

Unit, one day when I had my hands laying on the counter in a store, chatting with the lady behind the counter she mentioned she'd recently had hand surgery and said it looked like I'd had some, too. The look on her face when I said "Nope. There is nothing intentional there." was priceless. The only cuts I've had a doctor treat were one on my shin (cut it on a lawn sprinkler playing football in a friend's yard. His dad happened to be a doctor :D ), a pressure cut on my scalp at work (the boss insisted) and one on my left hand where I nicked a vein and couldn't get the bleeding stopped (never whittle after 1:00 a.m.) so I know all about not wanting to seek medical help.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Very cool (minus the stabbing)! Good to see the GB stood up well too.

Maybe you carved an angry tiki? Those are vengeful! :p
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

yablanowitz wrote:Started with a stick and finished with that. You can see how in this thread over on Bladeforums: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... le-a-chain.

I also did a large-scale, easier to follow piece here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... in-(take-2)
Fantastic work! Thanks fro sharing.
Slash

Post by Slash »

must be one of those days. don't feel to bad. I was cleaning out some crap in the tang as I was applying force my hand slipped and ran the tip of my finger right across some super sharp m4, cutting it half off. must have went to the bone if it extends out that far to the tip.

now I just hope it fuses itself back together. don't feel like going to the er for stiches. maybe I'll hit up my local walmart for some butterfly ones as it was a butterfly that took a bite out of me.

I don't think I'll ever clean out the tang of another knife again. typing with one less finger sucks.

any medical advice on how I can save the tip of my finger would by greatly appreciated.

sorry no pics...it's under wraps.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Nice carving. Good luck on the healing.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Slash wrote:. . .
any medical advice on how I can save the tip of my finger would by greatly appreciated.

sorry no pics...it's under wraps.
I would recommend getting to the ER before 10 hours since the accident have passed or they won't be able to stitch it back on, which is probably the best way to save the tip (if it still can be saved).
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

You can judge what to do about the injury. I commend you on not getting any blood on your carving project. You will heal and it sounds like you know that from experience :D like most of us. I think Spyderco should include one bandaid with each knife as a joke. :D I think it would be a first.

Jack
Slash

Post by Slash »

mongatu wrote:I would recommend getting to the ER before 10 hours since the accident have passed or they won't be able to stitch it back on, which is probably the best way to save the tip (if it still can be saved).
I think I'm gonna look for some of the glue they use for wounds like mine. I've had it held in place with a bandaid. I think it will be ok.
Pinetreebbs

More handle, Less Blade

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I think yablanowitz's link to making his chain may have a key bit of information. He is using a shorter blade for the fine work.

Hats off to both of you for your work.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.