Hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bradley

Hawkbill

Post by Bradley »

Tasman Salt vs Spyderhawk Salt. Which do you prefer and why?
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

They are both great.
It just depends on what size you prefer. I prefer the Tasman because its just rides better in my pocket but use the Spyderhawk more when i am working in the yard.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'd say it just depends on what your preferred blade size is.

When I am out kayaking, or working in the yard, I like the large size of my Spyderhawks, but if I happen to take one of them to work where most folks would think a Dragonfly is a "big dangerous knife", I take the Tasman, and keep it down in my back pocket, not clipped where anyone can see it.

I've also found the Tasman is perfect size for my vacuum cleaner roller/brush, the hook just reaches in perfectly to cut out all the hair and threads that get wound up in there :) .

Of course, my standard answer to the question of "should I get knife A or knife B" is "get both!" :D
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Could anyone perhaps compare either of them, or both, to the ladybug? or a stretch?
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Bradley wrote:Could anyone perhaps compare either of them, or both, to the ladybug? or a stretch?
Do you mean pictures or their differences? You really cant put them in the same category because hawk-bills are so different than any other blades.
Hawk-bills are great blades but they have a steep learning curb when it comes to sharpening them. I really have no idea what else to say about them because they are so different. :confused:
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I meant pictures, sorry man.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Hmm, I like that size, i may pick the tasman up, and an FFG Endura.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Bottom of the left-hand column: Tasman Salt. Right above it: Spyderhawks. Right-hand column, just under the Civilian, two Ladybug Hawkbills.

18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

seems as if you've got a thing for hawkbills ;) does getting one in PE kind of ruin the perk of having the hawkbill?
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Bradley wrote:seems as if you've got a thing for hawkbills ;) does getting one in PE kind of ruin the perk of having the hawkbill?
Just a little bit! :eek: :D

Actually, 5 of those in that pic are PE, so I would say, no, not at all.

BTW, that's not even all my hawkbills. The Matriarchs aren't in that pic (and one of those is a PE too).
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
BAL

Post by BAL »

Nice collection of hawkbills, bohica, very nice I am jealous. Bradley, according to bohica, instead of choosing between the Tasman and Spyderhawk, you should get both. I only have one myself tight now, Spyderhawk se, but I love it. I want more, but of course, the electric co wants me to pay for the lights that I use, T-Moblie wants paid, the wife and boy like to eat.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

This thread could use a few more pics, in this case of my Spyderhawk Salt SE;

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

SE H1 holds an edge way better than PE. Hawkbills are the one knife almost everyone prefers serrated but still plenty of plain-edge fans.

The Spyderhawk is huge. With the curvature and length it looks about 1.5 times the size of the Stetch :p . It's not really of course but still a very dramatic tool. The Tasman is a better fit for more city folks, IMHO.
JD Spydo

VG-10 Hawkbills are the creme-de-le-creme

Post by JD Spydo »

My all time favorite is the original set of Spyderhawks>> i.e. the VG-10 SE and blue handled PE.

I still carry my PE blue handled Spyderhawk occasionally especially when I'm in the woods or doing some outdoor activity. I have nothing against the H-1 Spyderhawks and I do own one of them ( the SE) and I love yellow handled, hard use knives because I find them very easy to find especially when you're working in very wild/brushy conditions as we have a lot of here in rural Missouri.

I carry my treasured G-10 handled, ATS-55, SE Harpy on a daily basis and have been for about the last 3 & 1/2 years now. It is probably the handiest Hawkbill I've ever owned. I just can't for the life of me understand why the original G-10 handled Harpy bombed on the sales charts :confused: .

But VG-10 steel and Hawkbills truly make a most dynamic recipe for a hard use Hawkbill.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
BAL

Post by BAL »

JD Spydo, I agree on wild\brushy Mizzou. I too am from the show-me state, up North of Weston in the middle of nowhere. Middle Earth.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

That means I need to find a PE, I wouldn't feel right buying two SE's and 0 PE's
JD Spydo

Hawkbills for outdoor usage>> you bet!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

BAL wrote:JD Spydo, I agree on wild\brushy Mizzou. I too am from the show-me state, up North of Weston in the middle of nowhere. Middle Earth.
Well Brother if anyone can tell you how vitally important a Hawkbill blade can be for your outdoor cutting chores it would be a fellow Missourian :cool:

In some places here in the state we have a myriad of vines and other plants where a big Hawkbill really comes in handy at times. I love my smaller Hawkbills ( Mainly in the Harpy/Tasman line up) but there is just something really special about the bigger Spyderhawk.

For hard use pull cutting they are a dream come true. For anyone who has doubts about the practical uses of a Hawkbill in the outdoors just take one with you and you will see for yourself.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bradley wrote:That means I need to find a PE, I wouldn't feel right buying two SE's and 0 PE's
Spyderhawk SE, Tasman PE. There you go...problem solved. ;)
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

JD Spydo wrote:I carry my treasured G-10 handled, ATS-55, SE Harpy on a daily basis and have been for about the last 3 & 1/2 years now. It is probably the handiest Hawkbill I've ever owned. I just can't for the life of me understand why the original G-10 handled Harpy bombed on the sales charts :confused:
ME TOO! I haven't had mine nearly as long, but it goes everywhere with me!

And I'll say it again: We need a G-10 Harpy/Spyderhawk Combo Set! (Preferably in SE, but a set of each SE & PE works too! - Two sets!) :D :eek: :D

(Sal once told me "Never say never", so I'm going to keep hoping for this set!) :eek: