Bredan Captain - Tarnish on the blade :(

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shazam

Bredan Captain - Tarnish on the blade :(

Post by Shazam »

Ive noticed some tarnish on my VG10 Captain Breedan, will this eventually come off? this is a next to new knife..

this isnt from cutting ... its from closing...
:spyder: Spyderco-aholic
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

from closing? Is it rubbing on something when it closes?

And at least you are lucky enough to have a Captain!
On the hunt for...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I know that this vid is for another knife entirely...but if you just go to the 3:14 mark...he says that the had tarnishing on the blade straight out of the box and polished it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5r3bnUZ ... re=related
On the hunt for...
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Flitz will probably get rid of it
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Shazam

Post by Shazam »

thanks .. Ive heard about Flitz... Ill Google it
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I know that this vid is for another knife entirely...but if you just go to the 3:14 mark...he says that the had tarnishing on the blade straight out of the box and polished it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5r3bnUZ ... re=related

This is also Spydercollector talking about Super Premium Polishing paste on blades. I made a thread about it asking if anyone else uses it. I get good results from it. AGRussell recommends it as well. Found it on ebay, but stores have it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEegaKCgT38
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Senate

Post by Senate »

are uou sure it's from opening/closing because most part of the stain isn't on the flat, it can't rub the liner...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I cant see how thats from closing. For one its on the grind of the blade which even if the blade was off center still wouldnt hit the liner, and two if it somehow did the marks would be in an arching pattern and not straight up and down because the blade swings out. If thats tarnish then it has to be from something you cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Looks a bit like tape adhesive gunk to me.
JD Spydo

BKF or Flitz or >>

Post by JD Spydo »

There is a cleanser that is a available in most grocery and hardware stores called "Bar Keeper's Friend" and it is very good at removing stuff off of stainless steel without abrasion marks.

I suggest you take a soft bristle toothbrush ( even a used one would be fine) and wet it slightly and pour some Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser on the brush and very lightly work it into the surface and it should come clean very quickly.

You can also try the Flitz that the one brother recommended or other metal polishes. If you can also get a Flitz polishing cloth that would be a big help also.

The C-111 Captain is truly a great SD knife and it is one great skinning knife as well. Take good care of it because I doubt if it will ever be in the main line up again.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Shazam

Post by Shazam »

thanks for all the help with this guys! I was planning to sell this particular knife - but considering that the model is now discontinued - Shes a keeper ;)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Have you tried spraying it with WD 40 and wiping it off? It really looks like the glue you get from cutting cardboard to me. It it's something like that it's super easy to clean off.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I get marks like that from sharpening pencils with knives.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Noxon is also very good at removing rust/tarnish.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I agree with the above comments- looks like it should clean off.

My Captain has no tarnishing but one, single pit. When I first saw it I assumed it was dirt and would clean off; it soon became apparent it was corrosion. I have attacked it with dremel buffer loaded with compound (not aggressive enough) and even micromesh abrasive. It is sufficiently deep to be visible despite this. I've decided to live with it for now. I've not had any problems with other VG10 spydies and I don't know what has precipitated the problem.

It's still a great, characterful knife.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior