At the Lake Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
THEO

At the Lake Knife

Post by THEO »

Hey all first time posting here :)

I recently have gotten into Spydercos, and I definitely have been bitten!

I live in Minnesota and spend A LOT of time on the lakes. I've thought of plenty of time where it would be handy to have a knife on me while out swimming or on the boat. I was wondering if it would be ok to swim with any of the folding Salt Series? Could I just throw an H1 Dragonfly in my swimming trunks pocket without worrying about wrecking my knife in any way?

Thanks!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I havent personally done soak trials with my Satls, but they are supposed to be rust proof. For a very limited test, this weekend, I used my Salt 1 in eastern Sierra lakes and purposely did not try to dry it out. Nothing happened. Again, Im not the expert here, but that is the purpose of the Salt series. I have the Ladybug Salt that I always have in my swim trunks during summer just to have a blade on hand that wont rust and I dont have to worry about. Hope that limited info helps.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

The only thing you would have to worry about is losing it. I don't know what your lakes are like there but in Texas there is a lot of mud in the lakes so some dirt and sand could potentially build up around the pivot area. So just rinse it out once you get home depending on your lakes.
Spyder Count: 7
THEO

Post by THEO »

Thanks for the help! Now I have another Spyderco to go buy!
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

That's the attitude! Welcome to the forum.
Spyder Count: 7
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I purposely swam in the Mediterranean Sea on consecutive days with a Tasman Salt. I did not rinse it immediately after carrying it. It was no worse for wear!

Go ahead and get yourself a D'Fly Salt and carry it with you. It'll be ready there in your pocket in the middle of the lake when you need it.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
BAL

Post by BAL »

THEO wrote:Thanks for the help! Now I have another Spyderco to go buy!
Welcome THEO, Yea, and then after you but it you will find another must have, and then another and then (well you get the picture).
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There used to be an old salination test on the forums. The user made a mixture multiple times stronger than sea water and put a Salt in it for almost a month. It was eating other knives in days and even wrecking the tank but the Spydie kept ticking :) .

Due to the engraving process some find that the "H1" logo forms a little rust but this is superficial at best. It's material embedded in the mark from other steels and should wipe off with little work.
camokid

Post by camokid »

I swim in lakes, ocean, and pools all the time with my salt series blades. That's what they are made for. The Salt series are my Fav. they are True work knives
jossta

Post by jossta »

This thread is sooo making me want a salt. Guess I'll get an H1 Ladybug Hawkbill soon.
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I am from Minnesota as well and I do exactly what you are planning to do. I always have a salt blade on me at the lake. I use a salt 1 and Pacific Salt. I recommend tieing a lanyard from your knife to your shorts with some hi viz 550 cord. The stuff i use even floats.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

For fresh water I have no problem immersing VG-10 either. My Urban and Delica have both gone swimming multiple times with no ill effects. I just make sure to shake it out and let it dry in the sun after.

H1 is a natural for any water intensive use though.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
JD Spydo

Most Important is to have a lanyard

Post by JD Spydo »

One huge consideration is when you are around the water whether it be lake, river, ocean, bayou or creek you definitely want to use some sort of a lanyard. There is nothing hardly more heartbreaking than to have a top notch knife or multi-tool fall overboard into the abyss. I've had it happen to me and now I won't even go anywhere around a lake or any other body of water without a lanyard to make sure my knife isn't lost forever.

Most Spyders have a hole in the pommel area of the handle for such a purpose.

There is nothing at all wrong with any of the SALT Series of H-1 bladed Spyders. I have a few of them myself and I highly recommend them. Albeit rust and corrosion are not a big issue with any Spyder as long as you properly clean and lubricate them after each use.

I do hope that they eventually bring the old Catcherman model back someday. But until then there are other great Spyderco fixed blades that would work well.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

get anything with an H1 blade. I use a salt when I go fishing and I love it! Buy one, you'll never look back or regret it.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

I too am from Minnesota and now you have me thinking I need to buy a H1 for the lakes. Have many Spydercos but no H1's yet. I always have a Spydie on me when fishing but I don't swim with one...well not yet at least.
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Didn't know there was this many people from MN on the forum
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

dgulbra wrote:Didn't know there was this many people from MN on the forum
Yeah there are quite a few, I know there are even more than the few posting in this thread. Even more reason to buy a H1 I guess. I have always thought of getting one but I have always just cleaned the blades up before any problems occur. Then again like I said I haven't been swimming on a regular basis with them, only caught out in the rain while on the lake.
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

Just wish we had some good shops who actually carried an assortment in MN.
jotobo

Post by jotobo »

Im in MN as well. I have a Dragonfly Salt on the way. I will report back with how well it works on the water.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

When I go camping or swimming I always have my Pacific Salt clipped in the pocket or on the waistband. Haven't had any problems yet.