Spyderco Ostap Projects

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Keep going you have some good looking designs. Though those last couple, you couldn't have that lanyard hole there and have that blade that long, there would be not enough blade inside the handle. I say just loose the lanyard hole...my guess is that 75% or more people never use it.
On the hunt for...
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

Hmm, maybe you're right, but I use that hole sometimes and its very comfortable :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Maybe switch to tip down and then move the lanyard hole up so that it sits closer to that screw further along the back?
On the hunt for...
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

I think about it :)
angusW

Post by angusW »

That Necker looks great Ostap.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

Hello, totally forgot about this forum :/ Dont have time to create new designs, but here is the small one folder without lock (friction?) for knives.pl user (He want big lanyard hole, originally I made a thumb stud to opening but then I realised that I could add a spyderhole and show it to you) :

defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I really like your persian and folder #5 (kind of a mid ground between karambit and a regular hawkbill), and your drawings are very nice. Structural pieces will have to be a little bit larger I think but aside from that I quite like the designs.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Hey, I like some of the designs so far! I would like to go ahead and inform you that if ANY design is posted to a forum, it becomes incredibly difficult to copyright, and could result in that design not being made.

Spyderco and Sal have already declared that any design posted to this forum is off limits in the future. They will not produce anything that has already be released to the public. SO if you want spyderco to make one of your designs, dont post it
brayou85

Post by brayou85 »

this looks great. blade shape is interesting. u might be able to get this made somewhere. it really is that good IMO. keep working you may be onto something
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

DCDesigns wrote:Hey, I like some of the designs so far! I would like to go ahead and inform you that if ANY design is posted to a forum, it becomes incredibly difficult to copyright, and could result in that design not being made.

Spyderco and Sal have already declared that any design posted to this forum is off limits in the future. They will not produce anything that has already be released to the public. SO if you want spyderco to make one of your designs, dont post it
So if I had a new one design what shoud I do? Is that any person from Spyderco who interested in production them or searching new designs? How I would know that my new idea is interesting if I dont show it to spyderco users / company?
angusW

Post by angusW »

Keeping your cards close to your chest is probably a good idea if you want to develop these. I don't know the proper way but Spyderco does have a contact page.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

Just send it and ask do they like it? :P Dont know...
jossta

Post by jossta »

Best thing is try to make an at least semi working model out of would or plastic and send it in to them.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Ostap wrote:So if I had a new one design what shoud I do? Is that any person from Spyderco who interested in production them or searching new designs? How I would know that my new idea is interesting if I dont show it to spyderco users / company?
Straight from the man himself:
Sal wrote: Interesting thread. The concept of submitting ideas for knives is varied. We usually get 2 -3 submissions per week.

I guess there are 4 types of submissions;

#1 is where the person posts drawings of their idea on a public forum. this is the least effective. Once the idea is shown in the public domain, it limits what can be done. Patentability is limited. The design is now public so any "newness" is gone. Our competitors now can see the design. Also copycats can get a good look at the idea. We usually avoid designs in category #1.

#2 is where someone sends an "idea" to us. Usually done with words or a sketch. eg: "Put a tanto blade on an Endura", or a sketch of their idea. Unless the idea is exceptional, or patentable, we usually don't do much with those because we have to do all of the design, model-making prototyping engineering, etc. There are only a few of us in R&D/design and time is limited. If we're going to do all of the work on a design, we might as well work with one of our own.

#3 is where the person has done a lot of work on refining and developing the design., they've made cardboard or plastic models and they know the knife will actually fold and the blade will fit into the handle. They know the ergos are at least close. They've fitted locks so they know it will fit into the model and they submitted farily accurate drawings to size and shape, thickness, sizes, etc. Examples of this type of submission would be from Dialex and Jason Breeden. They obviously put a lot of thought and work into the design before we see it.

#4 is a working knife model that is made by a custom knife maker or the designer has hired a custom knife maker to make the actual model. This is best as we can show the piece at shows and meets and get feedback from customers. This is generally how we determine if there is a market for a collaboration design (or even one of our own). We usually show these at SHOT Show, IWA show, Blade Magazine show, the Eugene knife show, The USN show and the meets tht we do.

Often we will work with the maker to refine some area of the design that we feel needs more attention. the makers will usually cooperate and make those changes. Most of our collaborations designs come from category #4.

Hope that helps.,

sal
jossta

Post by jossta »

Yeah I was gonna look for that but too much of a pain on the iPad.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Ostap wrote:Just send it and ask do they like it? :P Dont know...
Basically do a lot more work refining your idea. You want accurate drawings, computer models, and a working prototype is probably your best bet for being seriously considered. Hiring a knife maker wouldnt be a bad Idea if you can cover the cost. That way, if spyderco doesn't want to make it, you at least have an awesome knife that you designed.

Prototyping can get really expensive really quick. 3d printing can break the bank fast. You might consider using a lazer cutter or cnc to build a mock up out of plexiglass or high density foam. Or if money is tight, bandsaws, sanders, drill presses, and very steady hands. The latter is how I do most of my mock ups, saving only really refined ideas for the trip to the 3d printer.
josephdom

Post by josephdom »

Oh nice i like this knife MAN so friendly i just LOVE the metals but you know it's a right hand knife and i think you should have to still manage it as lefty hand than it'll be so easy to use anyone....

Post by 224477 »

Great designs... Thanks for sharing your art.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
razorback1595

Post by razorback1595 »

i want them all :o

really nice job :eek: :cool:
Pim

:D:spyder:
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

I've send an email to sal, we will see... :)