C150GP Junior - REVIEW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Interesting to see Nylatron washers again. Phosphor Bronze is pretty widely used these days, but I've never been convinced that it's 100% better than the 'original recipe' washers.
—Daniel Jackson
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Great review and pics! I hope this model hangs around for a while, because there are way too many models coming out recently for my wallet to handle! But the Junior is definitely near the top of my list.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Is that large cutout for cutting off one or two fingers? Maybe a cigar? That thing looks dangerous. My Spyderco's are so darn sharp, I prefer the designs where the choil swings back where my finger might be.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

RedRunner wrote:Is that large cutout for cutting off one or two fingers? Maybe a cigar? That thing looks dangerous. My Spyderco's are so darn sharp, I prefer the designs where the choil swings back where my finger might be.
How deep the cutout is I don't think the blade edge would intersect with fingers. Perhaps they would be severely pinched but remember how it would swing to close.

Regardless it's a compression lock which is so tough two things are more likely: 1) the blow to the knife spine would knock the it out of your hand. 2) if you were able to hold onto the handle with 600+ pounds of force your index finger would probably break before the lock.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Thanks for the review and the pictures.

I really like the story behind this design and the way Spyderco made it come true.
I am sure that I would have been overjoyed if my father would have bought me this knife when I was young and I hope there are enough fathers and sons left today that feel the same way. Might also make a nice starter for people that find using knives a bit scary.
Some forumites will still find a way to get bitten by this design but that is just part of their hobby and not to be taken seriously.

Post by 224477 »

Dialex`s name is Alexandru Diaconescu, I think you should state it correctly. And all the lousy web redactors, too. I have seen it being mis-spelled many times.

The Junior looks like another great design from Alex, I am wondering how a clip point bowie like blade would look on this one :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Congrats Dialex!!!!...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Can't wait to get that and one for my 5 yr old son. :)
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Brian, thank you for the great review and for the pics. I am very glad to hear that you are pleased with the knife.
I also carry a Junior for a couple months now and I used it extensively, from food preparation, regular cutting chores to outdoors activities (batoning included) :cool:
I dare to say that the knife performed as intended :D

I'd like to thank everyone for your support and for your kind words. The Junior wouldn't have been possible without the continuous feedback and encouragement from knifelovers Forumites. I hope that the knife will fulfill your expectations in return.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
dialex

Post by dialex »

RedRunner wrote:Is that large cutout for cutting off one or two fingers? Maybe a cigar? That thing looks dangerous. My Spyderco's are so darn sharp, I prefer the designs where the choil swings back where my finger might be.
The Junior has a sort of a stopper inside the tang, which is supposed to hit your index finger if you have a four fingers normal grip.
These being said, I managed to get a deep cut inside my palm, when I wanted to cut a branch of a tree like I'd do with a cigar.It was pure negligence, but also a reminder that the knife is safe but not foolproof :o
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
dialex

Post by dialex »

224477 wrote:Dialex`s name is Alexandru Diaconescu, I think you should state it correctly. And all the lousy web redactors, too. I have seen it being mis-spelled many times.

The Junior looks like another great design from Alex, I am wondering how a clip point bowie like blade would look on this one :)
Thank you my friend, but I already got used to it. I know it's a difficult name to pronounce, they used to spell it wrong even here in Romania :o

I think it's fairly easy to make a clip point aftermarket variation, the blade is wide enough. I also have plans to alter a Junior to a straight spine blade myself, I think it would be more suitable for outdoors.
Although the leaf shaped blade the way it is now is excellent for spreading peanut butter and stuff... :D
dialex

Post by dialex »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Congrats Dialex!!!!...Doc :D
Thank you, my friend.
I'd like to inform you that I already performed some meat cutting tests myself, Mostly on salami, bacon and chicken breast. Unfortunately I don't have the charts with the results. ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Congrats Alex :) . A knife that highlights a great designer and a company willing to think outside the box. A showstopper for sure!

Can't wait to pick one up.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Hi Alex:

I apologize for spelling your name incorrectly. :o Apparently I pulled the spelling from Spyderco's 2011 Mid Year Supplement instead of my own database. Sorry. As my last name if often mis-spelled and regularly mis-pronounced so I know how you feel. ;)

CCF:

The blade length is 3 7/32” 82MM
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
Beanie-Bean

Post by Beanie-Bean »

Thank you for the review. Alex really has a unique design with this one.

You guys are really going to send me to the poor house with all the cool stuff coming out this year, and I just started on this in late-December/early January of this year :)
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Great review and great design! Thanks to Mr Huegel for his review and Mr. Diaconescu for his design.

Both name added to my online spelling dictionary! A second thank you to both of them for having a sense of humor about pronouncing their name, mine is simple yet consistently mispronounced in humorous ways. I always remember an Indian friend said with a giggle when helping to pronounce the name of another Indian engineer, "You must pronounce all of them, there are no silent letters like there are in English."

As a Grandfather this knife is on my need to buy list. Oh, and I will try to get one for each grandchild as well. :)
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
ccf

Post by ccf »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:
CCF:

The blade length is 3 7/32” 82MM
thanx for the info

BTW, the "choiled" scale idea is absolutely genius. And so simple (despite the intricate engineering I'm sure this knife entailed). And even though this knife's intended market is youths and first-timers, it will be a big hit for just about everyone, IMO.

I prefer a 1:1 ratio on cutting edge to blade length (I hope I'm explaining that correctly), which means no choil. However, with this design, I get my preferred ratio & a choil to boot. :) Not to mention I believe the cutout in the scales will prove to be outstanding in regards to ergonomics.

Like I've mentioned before, I think I've found my holy grail. We'll see (obviously, I need it in hand to know for sure).

Either way, BRAVO!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Congrats, Alexandru!

I'm looking forward to getting a couple of them - I plan to pass one to my 11-year old son who is in Boy Scouts.

I'm also glad to own yet another knife with a compression lock - my favorite lock type from Spyderco!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much Brian, nice review.

Thanx Dialex, nice design.

sal
Ed Schempp

Good guys, good knife

Post by Ed Schempp »

Thanks for the great review from a very knowledgable source, thanks Brian.

Thank you for a great design Alex, the Junior is a very useful design.

It is pleasant experience to read an in depth review by a good guy, for a very good knife from a very talented nice guy.

Congratulations Alex, I'm looking forward to your next effort...Take Care...Ed