youve got mail.. a mini review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bada61265

youve got mail.. a mini review

Post by bada61265 »

yea today a new spyder arrived. been 6 months now since my last knife purchase and over 7 since my last spyderco... so it was overdue. the knife in question was the Pacific Salt H1 pe, all black. CS is having an incredible deal on these while they last and i couldnt resist. the knife is like all spyders ive had before it, amazingly sharp out of the box. brushed it across my leather strop a few times and its now a hair whittler. I hesitated some months on this purchase. would of loved to see one come out in orange but never cared at all for the yellow versions. but black all black started to appeal to me and it was cheaper than the salt /delica version. Having had and edc`d a ffg endura for almost a year i really like the feel of the H1 version, its imo a better balanced version of the endura, the blade is less than 1/8" shorter than the endura, probubly due to a less pointy tip as the blades spine rounds down slightly at the point. its also not ffg but saber ground which is fine by me. the clip is like that on the native and some older model enduras. tip up only. its also not stainless steel it is titanium. the knife handles identically to the endura. its handle shape is very close but has some slight differences in profile and seems a bit thinner. the handle is linerless much like the native. which ive found to be very strong and sturdy, and light weight, a big plus if this ends up in my swim trunks pocket. theres torx screws to adjust the pivot and lock bar. the hole in the blade looks to be a tad larger than my ffg endura, which could make this a nice edc for glove wearing weather. the blade flicks open easy and there was no noticable up down or side play. i dont know what the blades been blackened with, its smoother to the touch than the black finish on my ZT. im going to start edc`n this tomorrow and plan to have it out boating and fishing over the coming weekend and summer. ill try to remember a few pics over the holiday weekend. happy fourth.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Bada,
Just got mine from CS after first trying -- and loving -- the incredible Salt I.

Its bigger brother is just 3 oz and looks sexy in black with the titanium clip.

I, too, wonder what the black coating is and how well it will last.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Happy fourth congrats ! Look forward to hearing how it does fishing! I've eyed this blade forever it seems , so thanks for the info and heads up on good time to snag one! Thx
BAL

Post by BAL »

Congrats on the Pacific. I saw the special at CS and almost bought one, but I have been trying to hold off for a while. I have a yellow spyderhawk SE and love it. I would prefer black though and have never dyed one before. Thanks for the review.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

thanks for the replies, i really wouldnt mind trying this out on filleting a fish. going to be a scorcher this weekend so if i do any fishing i may try night time fishing.
my knives:
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

spending allot of time on the boat lately and my spyderco pacific salt has gotten a pretty good workout. i do like it quite a bit. after reprofiling and some use i find it seems to be holding a better edge than my initial impression. im glad i stuck with it. no pun intended.

its light even in my swim trucks pocket, the balance is perfect. the edge now holds pretty well though i posted to the contrary on another thread, i just think it was the factory grind that didnt hold well. the knife strops out to a nice convex and it seems to hold an edge beautifully after that. if it wasnt black id of put more of a point on it, that would be my only complaint and i do understand the reasons why the tip is rounded, will save that mod for when i feel the need to polish out the blackend blade at some future date.

my knives:
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

That's a great picture and thank you for the review.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Thanks for the review. I too love the Pacific. I found I took to it more than I thought I would when I added it to an order kind of as a fluke. Sure glad I did. It is so light and so narrow that it has become one of my go-to SD blades when I need to be discreet, but want the length. After re-profiling the blade I'd be hard pressed to find anything wrong with it.