Carry or Stash

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dognameddrew

Carry or Stash

Postby dognameddrew » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:03 pm

So i recently picked up my 11th spydie, a shiny new Para2 Gray and as much as I am loving this thing in my hand and pocket, I'm cautious on carrying it since it's a Sprint and more $ than I usually spend on my EDC. So I need some experienced folks like ya'll to tell me it's "ok!"...carry it, scuff it up, cut stuff :eek: and not just stash it in my knife box for safe-keeping. What to do?

VashHash

Postby VashHash » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:20 pm

I paid a pretty penny for my S90V military but I couldn't help but carry it. I'm currently edcing my cts para too. Its not getting much use right now but I've only had it a day. The whole point of this knife is to test the steel. No offense but I don't find the knife to be that special. Just a different color g10 and an awesome steel. Why not use it. I don't see it fetching a price like the S90V cf models do. Either way its in my pocket and I feel better using it over my cf para 2

ac700wildcat

Postby ac700wildcat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:21 pm

I was in the exact same boat with my m4 manix. It was the most money I'd spent on a knfe and pretty much a limited edition knife. I said to heck with it and now I'm using the heck out of it when I'm doing my yard work. Last week it was trimming some smaller low hanging branches and doing some edging around my home just for the heck of it.

dbcad

Postby dbcad » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Welcome dognameddrew :) What kind of steel do you have. I'm not a Para fan so I don't keep up :o

I would say to use it and enjoy, especially if it's one of those "supersteels" or whatever those materials are. From what I've read the Para is a very user friendly blade :) I don't believe buying knives for profit alone is a very good investment at least not for me :)

A lot of good folks here all with different flavors. All good, just different. Always good to look at 2nd, 3rd or 4th opinions if you can. Diversity with civility is a wonderful thing :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]

.357 mag

Postby .357 mag » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:40 pm

I buy all my knives to use. So my answer is use!

Cave Dave

Postby Cave Dave » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Send it to me and I'll carry it around for you for awhile. I haven't been able to get a grey one yet, and want to know if its worth paying the hard to find premium.

dognameddrew

Postby dognameddrew » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks all...in the pocket it goes! I understand there's many more pricey/special knives out there...this is just the most I've spent to date on my own...I'm sure there will be many more dollars flying out of my pocket towards Golden in the near future. Thanks for the advice!

Blerv

Postby Blerv » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:50 pm

As long as you don't dig with it or throw it into stumps it should hold it's value. By "value" I'm speaking merely from it's purchase price.

Labor and materials get more expensive over time.
Sprints hold their value or appreciate more reliability than even normal production disco'ed ones

Those two factors make me believe the knife should stay about where you probably bought it at. Even if you take a small hit from extensive use, say 30% over half a decade (which is probably just scratching that knife's life expectancy :D ) your effectively paying $8 a year to rent it.

More likely a well treated Para2 sprint will be quite rare in the future in any condition let alone new-in-box so over a couple years even you will make money selling it used.

The big one for me is if you want to buy it, use it, and try to sell it in 3-6 months there could be a problem in recouping all of your money. Still, imho the hit isn't worth staring at the knife and never using it. Just my opinion from a "functional collector" perspective.

Side-Note: Buying at the top of the market changes all of this. There are probably some people with CF S90v Para2's they paid $300ish for. No clue at that game.
:spyder: Blake :spyder:

Slash

Postby Slash » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm

definately carry. but, just be carefull not to drop on concrete.

Visual Articulation

Postby Visual Articulation » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:02 pm

If I buy something for me it rides in my pocket or is in a bag or rotation. if I buy somthing as an investment it goes in the vault . However I have yet to purchase a Spydie that I didn't like and have to rock 1-2 times a week! Enjoy the tool it's made to do work make use of it as intended friend and have fun! The only spydie I havnt used is my sons matching s90v para 2. But we together get it out whenever he wants to see it. He just turned 5. Image

Visual Articulation

Postby Visual Articulation » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Blerv , I like that functional collector +1 to that

bh49

Postby bh49 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Do with this knife whatever you enjoy the most: carry, if you want to carry; put in display case, if you do not need more EDC and you enjoy just viewing.
I carry only knives, which I love the most.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
George Orwell
My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian,Hungarian, Memory

eloreno

Postby eloreno » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Carry.
I've been using my 20CP para and loving it.
This is a great steel.

yowzer

Postby yowzer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm

Carry. There's no point in owning a knife if you're not going to use it.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Pingo, HAP-40 Stretch.

SQSAR

Postby SQSAR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm

Several times I've purchased a sprint with the thought of keeping it on the shelf for resale later, , , ,but I can never actually go through with it. I end up using the knife, and soon don't think anything of resale value. The grey Para is a good example of this. I like the Para2 in any configuration, but don't like the grey G10. But, the allure of the awesome steel called my name and now it's in my EDC rotation. To hell with resale value, I'm a steel junkie!

Paradiggum

Postby Paradiggum » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:19 pm

I fought the same urge to just leave a knife in it's box before. And I've done it in the past. At some point I finally decided that the best way to really appreciate something was to use it. I also figured if I didn't use it then when I passed on someone else would. Someone that probably wouldn't appreciate it like I do. Since I have no kids, it's hard to tell where my collection will end up. I might as well be the one to use and enjoy my purchases.

dognameddrew

Postby dognameddrew » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks again all...just needed a nudge in the right direction. This forum is pretty great for that! Now to start saving for my next one...so far the contenders are Sage 1 or a Navaja

gus88

Postby gus88 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:41 am

The gray para 2 was my first sprint, and I have been using it hard ever since I got it. Mainly because of the steel, I did not pay for an amazing steel so I could say I have it and look at it in my drawer. I payed for the awesome performance, which I get to enjoy every day :cool: :cool:

PS the gray handles get pretty dirty quickly, but i took em off and scrubbed with soap and water and they look great!

jackknifeh

Postby jackknifeh » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:27 am

Do you want to sell it someday? If not, use it and take care of it. It will give you years of happiness and pretty soon you won't look at it and see a dollar figure. You will see a tool you can depend on to fulfill its purpose.

Jack

toomzz

Postby toomzz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:55 am

Carry, use it and take care of it. Your knives in this life, so you have one change to 'experience' them in all available facets you desire.

T.
Tom

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”