The Moran

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gunnut35

The Moran

Post by gunnut35 »

My Moran arrived today...
This is a nice little fixed blade and is razor sharp. At first i was not sure about it because the handle is smaller than most of my other fixed blades but it is really comfortable. This will defiantly be in my EDC lineup.
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Nice , I hope to order one this weekend ! I've eyed it forever but am def snagging one hopefully with a schemp rock kicker. Thx for the info and pic!
Blades

Post by Blades »

My Moran:

I had to make my own lanyard hole:

I know there are a lot of Moran's out there, lets see some pictures!
I want a black bladed one, but don't care for the drop point. When is the trailing point black blade coming?
--Jason--
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

These are getting a bit over used (pictures) but this is one of mine:

Cleaned up and reground:

And with some friends from the early days of this collaborative design:

SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Man you guys! Now I'm looking at Morans! Thanks a bunch! :)

I keep thinking I don't need or want one because I have 2 fixed hunting hunting blades already ( buck 119 and one other) but I love the VG-10 and love how thin the Moran is.
JD Spydo

The Moran is truly time tested

Post by JD Spydo »

.357 mag wrote:Man you guys! Now I'm looking at Morans! Thanks a bunch! :)

I keep thinking I don't need or want one because I have 2 fixed hunting hunting blades already ( buck 119 and one other) but I love the VG-10 and love how thin the Moran is.
The Moran fixed blade was the very first Spyder ( folder or fixed blade) to use VG-10. For that reason alone I'll never forget the Moran. If I didn't have the Temperance 1 models that I hold so dear to my heart the Moran would definitely be my second choice.

I just wish that they would have also kept the Temperance 1 in production as well. Both are just fabulous all-purpose fixed blades not only for outdoor cutting chores but both are great in the kitchen as well.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blades

Post by Blades »

.357 mag wrote:Man you guys! Now I'm looking at Morans! Thanks a bunch! :)

No, you actually do need one. :)
A few reasons:
1) It is a Spyderco
2) It was designed by Bill Moran
3) It may be the only production fixed blade ever authorized by Mr. Moran(I'm not sure, I don't know of another one. ??).
4) It helps the Moran Family.
5) Spyderco is not making a lot money on this model. I believe Mr. Glesser said that is wasn't a "high profit" model, but he would keep making it in tribute to Mr. Moran
6) All your friends have one and make fun of you behind you back because you don't have one. :p
7) It is a Spyderco. :spyder:
--Jason--
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Post removed due to inaccuracy.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Pic request please: Can anybody please post spine pics of the Moran compared to an endura or a millie? Thanks.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I really love my Moran, I find the handle very comfortable, and *man* is it a good slicer! As thin as the blade is, I don't think I would ever do any heavy "batoning" with it though. The price on it is quite reasonable!

Chuck, if no one else posts a pic before I get home tonight I'll try to get a comparison pic for you.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Alright, alright, alright, alright! Fine! I'll put it on my list. :) I don't know if I want the black blade or the stainless. I was thinking of the Bowie style but I dont know if I can resist the black on black. You guys are no help at all!
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Pic request please: Can anybody please post spine pics of the Moran compared to an endura or a millie? Thanks.
Sorry i don't have a Military,(yet) but here it is with a Endura and a Para2.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

gunnut35 wrote:Sorry i don't have a Military,(yet) but here it is with a Endura and a Para2.
Awesome! Thanks, and it looks like a moran is now on my list.

How is the sheath, BTW?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:Add to the list that the Moran was the first collaboration Spyderco did with a custom knifemaker.
I thought that distinction belonged to the original Terzuola C15.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Here is a comparison pic

Left to right: Manix2, Mule, Moran, Millie, Endura, Stretch. (I was having trouble getting them all so stay upright, so I put the stick under the handles, but each handle had a different spot where I could put the stick to hold it :) )

I find the sheath works great for me, the G-clip works and it has a good amount of tension to keep from losing the knife.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I found one of the mirror polished FB01s at a knife shop for 89 with the leather sheath. I couldnt pass it up. It was the first spyderco fixed blade. I've also heard it was the first to use vg10. Who knows. I love it though. I wish I had bought another when I was there.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I believe it was the first to use VG-10 with the full-size C54 Calypso being the first folder in VG-10. It was also the first "regular" fixed blade, i.e. not a kitchen knife. I think we can safely say it was the first custom collaboration fixed blade, but I'll agree that the first Terzuola was the first custom collaboration Spyderco.

Chuck, the current Boltaron sheaths are excellent, though a bit bulky for the knife. I've made a couple of foldover sheaths for 2 of mine so far and they are much, much smaller. The factory sheath is great for everything but IWB and horizontal belt carry. For those, I'll use one of my own. The factory sheath is very secure and releases properly and also includes a G-clip on the newest ones. The older ones were mated with a full-sized Tek-Lok which was always a bit bulky.

The original leather sheaths were very nice, but I can't really comment on how well they work. I have an original but can't bring myself to carry it. I have others and it's just so nice! There's something special about a mirror polished blade with a polished convex edge on a factory knife.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks for the feedback and comparison pics guys. Much appreciated.
cckw

Post by cckw »

I may try it some day. As a hunting knife (which is it's design, right?) I like to see the cutting edge come closer to the handle and have some jimping or a thumb ramp. plus the point is pointier then I like in a skinning knife. Due to the great ergonomics of other Spyderco's I realize that in hand I might find it to be champ.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I keep my Moran in our kitchen where it gets regular duty nearly every day. It is our "go to" knife for many cutting chores. I love the handle's comfort.