Looking for recommendation- Para 2 or Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrandolph

Looking for recommendation- Para 2 or Stretch

Post by mrandolph »

Good morning. Looking for recommendations. Backpacking/camping knife. A medium size, relatively lightweight tactical folder. A tough blade steel with great edge retention. Thinking primarily of a Para2 CTS20CP or Stretch FRN ZDP-189. I welcome any input.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If you can still get your hands on a grey para at a price you're willing to pay, I'd say go for it. 20CP is one of the top of the line steels in edge holding in production knives. And the para 2 with any of the steels it comes in is one of the best EDC knives ever.

[img][IMG]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2078/graypara26.jpg[/img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

The stretch in ZDP is readily available and is an awesome knife too. There are still a few blue ones that crop up on the exchange but you can get BRG one from most dealers. The steel will hold an edge for a long time with reasonable use.

[img][IMG]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/1120 ... retch1.jpg[/img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
mrandolph

Post by mrandolph »

Wow. Thanks for the pics. As for the blade steels, does ZDP189 come close to CTS20CP, in terms of toughness and edge retention? Or is the jury still out? BTW, I would pay the extra for the gray G10 Para2.
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

I have yet to have had the privilege of owning a Para 2, but I have owned a Stretch and before I got it pickpocketed-it was the best knife I ever owned. The ergonomics are well thought out and excellent (though that will likely be the case for the Para 2 as well); the blade simply feels built to slice. The back lock is my favourite personally.

The Para1 which I got to try out was comfortable, though not as comfortable as the Stretch. The blade is a little more stout and I think I would prefer it for rougher work. With regard to steel it is really personal preference.

I would say, if you can find the following, for a reasonable price, get them:

-Para 2 S90V
-Para 2 20CP
-Stretch 2, ZDP/CF
-Stretch 2, whichever steel you like
-Para 2, standard.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

mrandolph wrote:Wow. Thanks for the pics. As for the blade steels, does ZDP189 come close to CTS20CP, in terms of toughness and edge retention? Or is the jury still out? BTW, I would pay the extra for the gray G10 Para2.
Oh yeh. I doubt that I could tell the steels apart in use if the blades were not stamped with the steel's name. 20CP though, is Carpenter's analogue to S90V and they are pretty close in performance, both just a bit better performers than ZDP.

When steels are ranked and one steel is considered a step higher, the performance increases are often just about 5 percent or so better.

Let's hope someone more knowledgeable than me will step in soon to explain it better. :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

20cp is basicially identical to CPM-s90v. S90v has been more or less on par to zdp according to Sal for years. It's Lamborghini vs Ferrari in my mind but a few people can tell the differences in use. Searching "zdp-189 vs s90v" here will get you plenty of opinions, hehe.

I'd go with the one you like more as they are quite different knives (much more than the steels). For me the Stretch is one of the holy grails of ergonomics while the para2 is a heavier duty tactically oriented slicer (with great ergos too).

The main advantage to me is a Stretch FRN can be had from $50-89 depending on steel.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I don't have a paramilitary but do have a Stretch (blue ZDP). I believe it would make a great outdoors knife, even fishing. Regarding the steel: I believe ANY steel that shows up on a Spyderco knife is more than fine. The only one that may be questionable is 8cr13MoV but even that is a very fine steel. The edge retention is just not quite as good as most others on Spyderco knives. I'd have to say though the 8Cr13MoV is better than the steel in knives I've used all my life until the last few years. Some companies have the premium steel on a few of their knives but not most. One thing about Spyderco is every model has a VERY good steel with the exception of the "value" knives. Even those that have the 8Cr13MoV are very good, quality knives "for the price". I hate to say "for the price" here because even the less expensive "for the price" knives are quality products.

So, when thinking about camping and such activities I believe the other aspects of a knife would be more relevant than the steel. Aspects such as comfort, size, etc. That's just my opinion though and I'm no steel expert.

Jack
mrandolph

Post by mrandolph »

I agree. Serious backpackers/hikers pay big bucks for gear that weighs a bit less (only ounces) and packs a bit smaller than cheaper, perfectly fine gear. I'm not that guy.
mrandolph

Post by mrandolph »

That said, IMO, the Stretch ZDP189 and Para2 are similiar enough in weight, size and ergonomics that blade steel may ultimately be my decider.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ergonomics, lock type, handle materials, and blade shape contribute to the overall style of each. I think those factors are still more discernible than blade steel.

Neither steel is "better" just different.
jossta

Post by jossta »

I would go for the Para 2 while it's available. There has been a ZDP Stretch available for a while in one form or another. Both designs are among many of the people's favorites, can't go wrong.

If you need some ZDP, get the Para and a ZDP Ladybug for another $30.

This pic is amazing
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Image
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jossta wrote:
This pic is amazing
Thanks. Musta lucked out when I took that. :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Thanks. Musta lucked out when I took that. :D
You are much too modest. I would have said "Thanks, I am the most skilled and handsome photographer in the world." :rolleyes:

That is a nice picture and I saved it on my hard drive the first time I saw it. Now I pass it along and say "look at the picture I took." :D :D

:D
Jack
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

After owning a ZDP Stretch and a 2 Para 2s, I much prefer the Para 2. Better tip/blade thickness, lock, and choil. Plus I also prefer open G10 construction.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Even in their regular steels both of these fine knives make it hard to choose.
You may have to eventually get both to make a true choice.
Here goes:
1. Thin slicing blade with nice length is the Stretch.
2. Thicker more robust knife blade in the Para.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
unit

Post by unit »

ZDP-189 will retain a very fine edge for a long time...what I mean by this is you can put a hair whittling edge on it, cut the side out of several tires and still shave roughly with it. (after one tire, it will still shave very cleanly)

S##V steels retain a working edge for a long time...what I mean by this is you can put a hair whittling edge on it, cut a single side out of a tire and it will no longer shave arm hair...but it will continue to cut rope, tires, cardboard, etc for a very long time.

This difference may seem inconsequential to many, but for those that like a very fine edge, ZDP may be preferred.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

jackknifeh wrote:I don't have a paramilitary but do have a Stretch (blue ZDP). I believe it would make a great outdoors knife, even fishing. Regarding the steel: I believe ANY steel that shows up on a Spyderco knife is more than fine. The only one that may be questionable is 8cr13MoV but even that is a very fine steel. The edge retention is just not quite as good as most others on Spyderco knives. I'd have to say though the 8Cr13MoV is better than the steel in knives I've used all my life until the last few years. Some companies have the premium steel on a few of their knives but not most. One thing about Spyderco is every model has a VERY good steel with the exception of the "value" knives. Even those that have the 8Cr13MoV are very good, quality knives "for the price". I hate to say "for the price" here because even the less expensive "for the price" knives are quality products.

So, when thinking about camping and such activities I believe the other aspects of a knife would be more relevant than the steel. Aspects such as comfort, size, etc. That's just my opinion though and I'm no steel expert.

Jack
I also get the impression that 8Cr13Mov takes a hit the rust resistance department... just based purely on anecdotal evidence, of course. For $30 it is a great steel on a great knife.

For what the OP describes I would get the stretch. I love my Para2, but the tip feels much more delicate than the stretch's tip. For the task you describe I want beefy, not slicey. The para2 is slicey in my opinion. The Stretch is still excellent at slicing tasks, but just a little more universal in its capabilities IMHO.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Para 2 all day. I am biased though, I have 4 of them....
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

My vote will always go Stretch. I love that knife. Regardless of what else I might or might not be carrying, my ZDP Stretch is always clipped to my waist. I've done food prep, broken down cardboard, stripped some wires, sliced open more than a dozen bags of soil, opened mail and clam shell packages, trimmed my mom's rose bushes, raspberries bushes, climbing ivy etc etc etc. And still just had to touch up the edge here and there.
I think that the ergos are **** near perfect and I have grown to appreciate the FRN (not usually a fan at all) for how grippy it is.
On the hunt for...
kawr

Post by kawr »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:I also get the impression that 8Cr13Mov takes a hit the rust resistance department... just based purely on anecdotal evidence, of course. For $30 it is a great steel on a great knife.

For what the OP describes I would get the stretch. I love my Para2, but the tip feels much more delicate than the stretch's tip. For the task you describe I want beefy, not slicey. The para2 is slicey in my opinion. The Stretch is still excellent at slicing tasks, but just a little more universal in its capabilities IMHO.
Very strange because I get the exact opposite feeling between the para and stretch. The stretch is much thinner along the entire length of the blade. I do agree that due to the blade shape of the stretch it looks to have a slightly stronger tip. I think the para 2 is a better all around blade while the stretch is the slicing, cutting king. I love both and they are two of my favorite spydercos.