Full spyder edge for edc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Allen R.

Full spyder edge for edc

Post by Allen R. »

I have found a full spyder edge endura for a really good price but am not sure as to how practical it actually is my knife duties included opening packages and mail,boxes occasionaly cutting up some bait fish and just general knife use no rope or anything like that that a spyder edge is best on but who carries one and how do u say it compares to a regular plain edge endura
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: If it's a really good price get it. It's nice to have a full spyder edge knife for hard use days when you don't wanna worry about edge retention, spyder edge eats it up! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's great when you value cutting performance over cut cleanness. A sharp SE won't leave something messy but it can snag more; that said, it doesn't "slip" like a dull PE.
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

I EDCd the same Gen 1 Endura w/Spyderedge for 20+ years - no complaints.
YES, the knife pictured is over 20 yrs old - Spyderco quality.

Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Its 49.99 with free shipping shud i jump on it endura 4 full serrated
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

WHat about sharping i have the sharpmaker and a tool to sharpen serrations but ive heard u can go years without sharping the serrations
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

I cut everything but rocks - never sharpened my Endura SE
Buy it! that's a good price
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Bought it thanx guys now to jus watch the mail n nab the debit card statement before te wife does ive bought 6 in a month why do these knives hafta b so darn good
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You can cut rope with a plain edge, but you can't slice an apple very well with big serrations.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Ive also heard serrations are better for self defense cant wait to add it to my edc serrated in left pocket pe endura in right pocket and in case the zombies attack and i run outta ammo in my edc glock ill whip out my spydie edge and start slicing the undead woohoo btw i do not endorse knives for self defense or guns unless ur properly trained period otherwise ur potentially givin an attacker a weapon to kill u with that being said gun first in an sd situation an knife as a last ditch if there r no other options period.a knife for sd or a potential "knife fight" is a very bad situation where both parties will probably b injured didnt mean to rant jus opened a door and added my $0.02
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, better for self defense just depends on who you're talking to. There are at least a few very knowledgeable self defense guys here who would say otherwise. The best thing serrations have going for them is that you get extra edge length in the same overall blade length, so you get more cutting surface in the same knife. The down side is, say you're carrying one and you do find yourself in a survival situation....good luck finding a rock that'll work well enough to sharpen that knife, good luck cleaning a kill with it, etc. For the few things a serrated knife does very well, there are more things that a plain edge will do better than the serrated edge will. I would carry both, but never solely a serrated knife unless i were a fisherman on a boat...and even then i would definitely carry both.
~David
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

If im n the Outdoors for any reason at all ive got a fixed blade on me its nof a spydie so im not gonna mention the name of it ive never owned a full serrated blade but i hate combo blades id rather have all or nuthin and if i dont like it o well im on a quest to have every production spydie so somewhere id a had to buy it might as well while its on sale
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah i don't blame you, i'm certainly not saying don't buy it, just giving some perspective. I have a full serrated Native (i guess it's full, it has about an inch of plain edge at the very tip but i wouldn't call it a combo edge) that i carry sometimes. For me honestly the biggest downfall is just the effort it takes to sharpen them. I guess i'm lazy.

That said i do plan on getting a spydie edge H1 knife when the funds allow simply because Sal has stated that no other steel holds an edge like serrated H1.
~David
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I know the native ur talking about the tip isnt serrated ive sharpened serrations before with a diamond rod in the shape of a spike it gets smaller as it get to the tip a few strokes and i touched the serrations and it cut my hand so its not difficult u jus hafta hit every serration one at a time but the end result if u put paper inside one of the big serrations it will slice paper with a downward motion no slicing jus downward motion like i said though im not a fan of combo edges i want all or none and find in my expiernce in combo edges u dont get enough of either type edge to do wats required not to say thqt a bigger blade say endura or military with a bigger blade may give u enough of each blade to get a job done
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Evil D wrote:You can cut rope with a plain edge, but you can't slice an apple very well with big serrations.
My harpy makes quick work on slicing a apple. Make the hawkbill blade has something to do with it but it slices almost as good as my dragonfly PE
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I have a stainless endura but dont carry it due to sweaty hands with a stainless handle and a tough cutting job is prolly gonna end in a nasty cut hand i was thinkin of maybe some sort of abrasive tape to get a better purchase but hows ur harpy in that department any mods to the handle
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

.357 mag wrote:My harpy makes quick work on slicing a apple. Make the hawkbill blade has something to do with it but it slices almost as good as my dragonfly PE
I was really just trying to make a point about slicing cuts in general. Sure you can cut up an apple but not as cleanly. There's a lot of instances where clean cuts are important.
~David
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Pe: delicate cuts for things u may need to use or worry about damages:SE gonna rip things apart and not good for things you basically dont wanna destroy is that kinda what i were trying to say
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Allen R. wrote:Pe: delicate cuts for things u may need to use or worry about damages:SE gonna rip things apart and not good for things you basically dont wanna destroy is that kinda what i were trying to say
Yeah more or less, but more so about the effort it takes to cut things. Maybe i just use the wrong technique but slicing through a big piece of corrugated seems a lot easier for me with a plain edge than serrated. The teeth just snag and catch as opposed to gliding through. When you're cutting things that require a slicing cut as opposed to a sawing cut it's hands down PE, and in my experience that's just about every kind of cut until you start getting into cutting rope and things of that nature, which a plain edge can still do well, just not as good. My first Spydie was the Native and for my EDC routines there's just nothing that a serrated edge can do well enough to offset the fact that a plain edge does just about everything else way better.
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

for plain edge id get the endura, but you can also get , for a few more dollars, a pacific salt, which im sure is based on the endura 3,, H1 has VERY tough serrations, stronger than vg10 (im sure) high 60's in rockwell hardness I believe, and does not rust.