DMT or Lansky to complement Sharpmaker - I'm on the fence.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chipdouglas

DMT or Lansky to complement Sharpmaker - I'm on the fence.

Post by chipdouglas »

Hi,

I'm looking at adding some more sharpening kit to my Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've looked around on these forums and others and I've noticed that DMT and Lansky come up quite a bit. There's also the wicked Edge sharpener, but that's beyond my budget.

So far as I can see, DMT comes up on top and prices tags on various DMT items is reasonable.

I'll welcome any recommendations from you dear fellow forumites.

Thanks
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Lansky or Gatco with the diamond hones is a good accurate fast way to reprofile or bring an edge back from the dead. Touch up with the sharpmaker from there.
O.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Edge pro apex kit
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I like the DMT diamond hones, but I am not a fan of the plastic clamp and the angles on their system, it works and works well, but if there was a way to combine the Lansky and the DMT that would be the best.
On the hunt for...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I find that I don't like diamond stones at all.
suedeface

Post by suedeface »

I bought a cheap 4 sided diamond hone at harbor freight for $14.99 and it actually works pretty well. There's not too much of a difference in the various grit sizes that I can tell though (I assume the higher quality DMT hones would have more precise grit sizes). However, after mounting the hone on to a wooden angle jig I made (40 deg to match sharpmaker) and using it to bring back dead edges in conjunction with the sharpmaker, I have to say that I have a fairly good system down when it comes to sharpening blades. Not to mention I don't have to buy the diamond rods for the sharpmaker for reprofiling, as I'm pleased with the results from my cheapie hones.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I've had pretty good results using the DMT Aligner system, but have also read about many other folks having good results with the Lansky system. The DMT for me has been useful when I've needed to reprofile.

Right now it's sitting in a drawer and won't be used again until I need to reprofile again or if I sharpen someone elses knife. Once you've achieved the edge you want you won't have to use it again for a long while if you maintain the edge.

I think either system would probably serve well. :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I don't know about the alignment system because I've never used it but I've found DMT plates and "benchstones" to be great investments that last a long time. I've been using some for over 15 years that are still going strong. They're not my favorite thing to sharpen on but they are very useful at times.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas »

Thanks for the many responses.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I love the sharpmaker, and it is all I need most of the time...If I have to bring something back from the dead I use a very cheap set of diamond stones/hones from EZE-LAP Diamond Products of Carson City NV. They comes in a package of four, 250, 400, 600, 1,200 grits, they retail for $21.95 for the set.....I just tape them directly to the flat side of the sharpmaker stones and after I get the results I want I touch it up on the sharpmaker from there...Cheap Efficient, and Effective....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use a Lansky but im looking to get a Gatco because it has more angle options and larger stones.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

jwrickma24 wrote:Edge pro apex kit
That's what I'm holding out for. Only about $250 for a sharpening system that can reprofile an edge with precision seems like it's worth it to me.

I had a lansky...It worked well for what it is, but you get what you pay for IMO. The clamp actually ended up breaking.

Just some advice for any clamp-based system, for sharpening FFG blades--makes sure you use the long screw to get the right angle and clamp down without any space that would cause play.

I haven't used the DMT, but I hear decent things about it.

The best solution is probably some quality bench stones and learning to free-hand sharpen. I do that for lower-quality knives like the ones I use for the kitchen or my SAK, but I just am not confident enough to do my Spydie's freehand, for fear of scratching them up, etc.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chipdouglas wrote:Hi,

I'm looking at adding some more sharpening kit to my Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've looked around on these forums and others and I've noticed that DMT and Lansky come up quite a bit. There's also the wicked Edge sharpener, but that's beyond my budget.

So far as I can see, DMT comes up on top and prices tags on various DMT items is reasonable.

I'll welcome any recommendations from you dear fellow forumites.

Thanks
I used the DMT aligner set for a couple of years and got very very sharp edges with it. DMT diamond stones are GREAT if you like diamonds. I don't have a Sharpmaker, never even seen one. Now I use an Edge Pro.

I truely believe your best investment would be to continue to use the Sharpmaker and save up to get an Edge Pro. You can get the starter set for about $150.00. Get additional stones a little later as money allows. The thing about the EP is it gives you the ability to sharpen a knife to any angle you want. Do you want an angle of 15 deg. per side or do you want it 16.5 deg. per side? That is the kind of flexability the EP will give you. Plus, when a friend asks you to sharpen his/her knife and are using a system that limits the angles available it's hard to do a really good job unless they just want it "sharp" and doesn't know any more than that. Aligner settings are in "notches" and it's harder to set the clamp to an angle that may be on a knife already.

From what I've read about the Sharpmaker it is an outstanding system and is around the same price as a DMT aligner system with 4 stones. You have one and the only way to get a system that will give you a lot more than the Sharpmaker does is to spend more money than a Sharpmaker costs. That is based on my experience which is limited to what I've read on the internet and this forum and what I've used (DMT aligner and Edge Pro).

I think if you save and get the Edge Pro you will be happy when you do get it. But if you give in and get the aligner or Lansky (which I've never used) you will have 2 systems that are not that much different in service to you.

When I started getting sharpening stuff I wanted to spend as little as possible of course and now that I did finally get the Edge Pro after buying several other things first I've got lots of stuff I never use and have spent over $700 in the past few years. What I use now is the EP, a few Spyderco sharpening stones (Doublestuff is favorite) and strops. The rest of the stuff just sits there. This is just my opinion of course so whatever you decide, happy sharpening.

Jack
chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas »

jackknifeh wrote:I used the DMT aligner set for a couple of years and got very very sharp edges with it. DMT diamond stones are GREAT if you like diamonds. I don't have a Sharpmaker, never even seen one. Now I use an Edge Pro.

I truely believe your best investment would be to continue to use the Sharpmaker and save up to get an Edge Pro. You can get the starter set for about $150.00. Get additional stones a little later as money allows. The thing about the EP is it gives you the ability to sharpen a knife to any angle you want. Do you want an angle of 15 deg. per side or do you want it 16.5 deg. per side? That is the kind of flexability the EP will give you. Plus, when a friend asks you to sharpen his/her knife and are using a system that limits the angles available it's hard to do a really good job unless they just want it "sharp" and doesn't know any more than that. Aligner settings are in "notches" and it's harder to set the clamp to an angle that may be on a knife already.

From what I've read about the Sharpmaker it is an outstanding system and is around the same price as a DMT aligner system with 4 stones. You have one and the only way to get a system that will give you a lot more than the Sharpmaker does is to spend more money than a Sharpmaker costs. That is based on my experience which is limited to what I've read on the internet and this forum and what I've used (DMT aligner and Edge Pro).

I think if you save and get the Edge Pro you will be happy when you do get it. But if you give in and get the aligner or Lansky (which I've never used) you will have 2 systems that are not that much different in service to you.

When I started getting sharpening stuff I wanted to spend as little as possible of course and now that I did finally get the Edge Pro after buying several other things first I've got lots of stuff I never use and have spent over $700 in the past few years. What I use now is the EP, a few Spyderco sharpening stones (Doublestuff is favorite) and strops. The rest of the stuff just sits there. This is just my opinion of course so whatever you decide, happy sharpening.

Jack

Thanks for taking the time to write such a long post - I appreciate that.
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I have a lanksy kit dont care too much for it. Why not jus get the diamond and ultra fine stones for the sharpmaker imho with those additions you have one of the most capable sharping systems u can get
unit

Post by unit »

I have a DMT hone that is about 25 years old.

I just used this hone (and a few others) to reprofile and polish a CPM-M4 knife that I carry daily.

I also used this hone when I reprofiled and polished my ZDP-189 knife.

I think this is something to consider....a 25 year old hone is still capable of doing its job. Further, it does the job REALLY well, and is grinding super-steels that did not exist in cutlery when it was made.

I probably thought it was expensive when I bought it....but it has shown its value and then some over the years.

I can not give advice in regard to the other brands you mention. DMTs are fantastic and are capable of working on any steel I have ever used.

I love the Sharpmaker, it is fantastic. But for serious grinding/stock removal on serious steels, I reach for diamonds and they have never let me down.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

unit wrote:I have a DMT hone that is about 25 years old.

I just used this hone (and a few others) to reprofile and polish a CPM-M4 knife that I carry daily.

I also used this hone when I reprofiled and polished my ZDP-189 knife.

I think this is something to consider....a 25 year old hone is still capable of doing its job. Further, it does the job REALLY well, and is grinding super-steels that did not exist in cutlery when it was made.

I probably thought it was expensive when I bought it....but it has shown its value and then some over the years.

I can not give advice in regard to the other brands you mention. DMTs are fantastic and are capable of working on any steel I have ever used.

I love the Sharpmaker, it is fantastic. But for serious grinding/stock removal on serious steels, I reach for diamonds and they have never let me down.
+1 Well said.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

I have a Sharpmaker and Lansky Deluxe 5-stone plus Saphire.
I am not sorry I bought it, but it does require more work/effort to sharpen and especially touch up a blade than the SM. The SM has only two variables when in use--how well you can maintain a vertical blade, and how well you can maintain a vertical blade without mixing up the two angle slots when you've been drinking.....
Ahem... With the Lansky, one of those variables is still partially in play, with a few more added on.
Clamping the same blade the same way over and over can be problematic. The guide rods that slide through the bracket angle slots are flexible. The amount of pressure you use when stoning can influence the linearity of the rod, which affects the angle.
The length from the blade edge to the 90 deg corner affects the true angle.
The altitude of the slots changes with the blade thickness or when matching slope with FFG, affecting the true angle. (Trust, but verify. Measure the sides and calculate the angle!)

Now, you don't have to care what the angle is, but you would certainly prefer to repeat that angle when touching up. Hence, clamping the blade in the same place time after time--in 3 dimensions, not just one--becomes important.
That's one of the best features of the SM. Unless the stones have opened up the angle slots on the base (and you should check every now and then with a protractor), you get nearly the same angle time after time without a lot of bother.

I would say try the DMT or Lansky. I chose Lansky purely on name recognition. If you're considering a more expensive unit later on, then do not spend more than you have to to find out if you like an aligner system.
I will be ready to move up to either a WE or EP around Xmas, and my time on the Lansky will have been instructive without investing too much.
JD Spydo

Sharpmaker is truly the Best Finishing kit period

Post by JD Spydo »

unit wrote:

This is getting to be my overall opinion of most kit sharpening systems. As much as I completely depend on my 2 Sharpmakers to keep my cutting arsenal razor sharp I have found that even they are not complete. So I do understand why the brother started this thread to begin with.

My only serious complaint that I've ever had about the Sharpmaker is that it lacks in it's ability to bring a knife "Back From The Dead" as my good friend Doc Snubnose so succinctly put it :cool: .

For a blade that is really dinged, dulled and literally put through the mill you need a good diamond benchstone to get it started on the road to recovery. The 2 great Diamond Benchstones I've been blessed with are an extra-coarse 3M unit and a coarse grade, 12 inch coarse grade Norton diamond stone.

I truly wish that someday Spyderco will make available either a coarse or extra coarse set of diamond stones or a really aggressive coarse set of aluminum oxide stones for more rapid stock removal for really beat up blades.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
TomH

Post by TomH »

Great info. Thanks. I've been thinking about another sharpener and will look at the Edge Pro.