Ayoob!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
2cha

Ayoob!

Post by 2cha »

Just received my Ayoob a few minutes ago and I'm quite pleased. Mine is flawlessly executed. I was a little worried that the Ayoob would suffer from the same problem as the paramilitary in tip down--the slight protrusion from the end of the tang when in closed position. However, with the Ayoob, the "top" of the handle at the index finger choil prevents any contact. All in all, money well spent.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine should be here Tuesday. Can't wait to get it. Any pictures?
:bug-red-white
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

IMHO..The Ayoob is one of the best knives Spyderco ever made...I'm so glad that they are now available to forum members and the like, so all can enjoy what we old timers have been talking about for years...Enjoy your Ayoob!....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I got mine today (Fast shipping! Was expecting it to come on Monday).

No pictures, yet, but some impressions: It has pinned construction. I don't think I've seen that before in a Spyderco G-10 handled knife. I'm not one of those folks who likes to take their knives apart, so it doesn't really matter, but it's unusual. It's also surprisingly heavy, considering it has skeletonized liners.

Speaking of G-10, it seems even gripper than normal on this one. It's a pants destroyer! I wish they'd gone with Micarta or carbon fiber (The same type used in the Lum Chinese would be nifty), but I suspect that'd raise the cost more and it was already pretty expensive. Tip-up carry option would have been nice too.

In other respects.... OMG this is a great knife! I've only had it for a few hours and it's already up there with my all time favorites like the Barong and Stretch. Useful, versatile blade shape, secure handle shape, solid construction... it might have been designed with an eye towards stabbing people, but it'll make a great heavy duty working knife too.

One final thought: This feels like one of the very few blades that I'd like to see with a combo edge. If the inch or so closest to the handle was serrated, the pronounced negative blade angle would keep them well out of the way for most cuts, but they'd still be there for things like rope or cardboard or whatever if needed.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

That is why I like this knife so much in SE.....It is one of the few knives that has a SE that doesn't get caught up on clothing which is a plus for a SD knife. It thinks it's a plain edge, and If I have a need for heavy cutting the Serrations cut like a light saber. In my meat test I found no difference in the cutting ability of the PE vs SE. We have to credit Mas and Spyderco, for it is a brilliant design. No need for a combo edge if you have one SE. The only other knife with Serrations that I found that mimics the cutting ability of the Ayoob's SE is a small knife made by Timberline, a Lightfoot design called the "Mini-Pit Bull" in CE, The serrations on this knife are different than the aggressive Spyderco serrations, in the fact that they are inverted. Instead of a scalloped shaped serration it has a rounded (like a round hump) serration. It cuts very well for heavy duty stuff, but for SD it does not get caught up on clothing either. It too thinks its a PE knife.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I know nothing about self-defense tactics. If I got into a knife involved self-defense situation I think my best bet would be to just go crazy and try to slice the other guy anywhere possible. If my oponent had any training (but isn't real good) that may throw him off long enough for me to have turned and run. I don't want to end up in court or jail. That's just more trouble than what it's worth. Plus, with my lack of skill my only hope would be for my knife to be a machete. :eek:

Anyway, I've seen LOTS and LOTS of threads and posts about self defense here and what is the best knife for SD. For the first time there is a knife that seems to be designed for hurting other people if need be. I just read the advertisement and the part about the angle of the blade and it's purpose. So, if I EVER get a knife for SD, this will be the one. And that is in addition to just wanting one after looking at the picture.

Jack
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

The P'Kal, Matriarch, Civilian and Chinook are defense first, utility second blades, right? The Ayoob is just another in a long lineage of Spyderco knives that don't have cutting boxes or twine as their first objective.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

You forgot the Kumo, Gunting,Yojimbo, Ronin, Waved Delica and Endura, Warrior and a few others...Doc :D

Elvis

Post by Elvis »

jackknifeh wrote:For the first time there is a knife that seems to be designed for hurting other people if need be.
Dr. Snubnose wrote:You forgot the Kumo, Gunting,Yojimbo, Ronin, Waved Delica and Endura, Warrior and a few others...Doc :D
Yeah, and the 3 Perrins, I just found jackknife's comment a bit unusual given the long history of Spyderco and self defense applications.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

jackknifeh wrote:I know nothing about self-defense tactics. If I got into a knife involved self-defense situation I think my best bet would be to just go crazy and try to slice the other guy anywhere possible. If my oponent had any training (but isn't real good) that may throw him off long enough for me to have turned and run. I don't want to end up in court or jail. That's just more trouble than what it's worth. Plus, with my lack of skill my only hope would be for my knife to be a machete. :eek:

Anyway, I've seen LOTS and LOTS of threads and posts about self defense here and what is the best knife for SD. For the first time there is a knife that seems to be designed for hurting other people if need be. I just read the advertisement and the part about the angle of the blade and it's purpose. So, if I EVER get a knife for SD, this will be the one. And that is in addition to just wanting one after looking at the picture.

Jack
hmm Reminding Self: Not to stand in front of Jack while he is doing his crazy thingy....with knives..... :p Doc :eek:

yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I just dismembered a bunch of strawberries with mine...
2cha

Post by 2cha »

yowzer wrote:I just dismembered a bunch of strawberries with mine...
Lucky you, I just stabbed myself in the thigh while cutting thread etc off the vacuum beater/brush--through 2 layers of heavy canvas and my bvds.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I just love negative blade angle and weird knives. This has both in spades! :)
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Pic's please!

I've been waiting for the Ayoob sprint since '06, and, of course, its released while I'm living abroad :p

So, help a brotha out with some pics, since it will be at least 3 months before I can have one in my hand!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I just pulled mine out of the mailbox a half-hour ago. Here it is with an original for comparison.

The Sprint measures 0.483" thick, the original measures 0.463" thick. Not a huge difference, but I think it makes the G-10 version feel more substantial in hand, and the added traction of the G-10 texture is very welcome to me.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for the comparison pics.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Blerv wrote:I just love negative blade angle and weird knives.

You're not alone.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Got my Ayoob today! Awesome knife. This one will definitely be riding in my back pocket for a while...

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The most amazing thing to me (besides the awesome angle and devilish tip) is how thin the knife is! Talk about a comfortable carry. They should nickname this the, "Chinook Skinny" :p .
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Wow that's a great knife! I went from 6 to 12! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai