coarse or mirror polished edges ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Slash wrote:If you're stabbing/prying with your blade what does it matter?
The people who are interested in coarse vs. polished are the people who are interested in cutting performance.

If that's all you do with your knives, then you probably don't need a knife at all.
Slash

Post by Slash »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:The people who are interested in coarse vs. polished are the people who are interested in cutting performance.

If that's all you do with your knives, then you probably don't need a knife at all.
Yeah, it was meant to be a joke. Guess you didn't get it.

Cutting perfomance as in you need to cut stuff all day long?

Unless you're a butcher or chef then I don't think you're cutting stuff all day long. If so then you're most certainly not using a polish edge blade.

For daily utility cutting tasks you're most likely using a serrated edge or carrying a stone/steel to touch up that plain edge. Thus, no polished edge here either.

So, really a polished edge is just nice for pics and displaying, etc...

Maybe I'm wrong. But, I really can't think of any tasks a knife would need to be polished? Perhaps if I had to perform field surgery on someone they would be more at ease when I pull out my polished Millie or something. :rolleyes:
Thinking that if it's polished it must be clean. LOL
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Slash wrote:Yeah, it was meant to be a joke. Guess you didn't get it.
You tried to be funny and failed and your post just ended up being irrelevant in a thread about coarse vs.polished edges.
Slash wrote:Cutting perfomance as in you need to cut stuff all day long?
Cutting performance as in cutting stuff with the least force needed to be applied at the handle. You probably are thinking of edge holding....
Slash wrote:Unless you're a butcher or chef then I don't think you're cutting stuff all day long. If so then you're most certainly not using a polish edge blade.
Yeh, I actually worked at a farm where I had to cut stuff all day.
Slash wrote:For daily utility cutting tasks you're most likely using a serrated edge or carrying a stone/steel to touch up that plain edge. Thus, no polished edge here either.
Nope, serrated edges don't work with fine work like what I need to do with bamboo. I also don't want to stop to sharpen every few cuts.
Slash wrote:So, really a polished edge is just nice for pics and displaying, etc...
Again, nope. A polished edge lasts longer for me compared to a coarse edge. Coarse edge slices better but a polished edge push cuts better and that's what you need when working with bamboo. I also cut a lot of green wood(diseased branches) and polished edges glide through where you'd have to saw with a coarse edge.
Slash wrote:Maybe I'm wrong. But, I really can't think of any tasks a knife would need to be polished?
Think wood working.But since we are all knife nuts here, it's not just about "need". It's about preference and cutting performance. One person here has to cut tires all day, he needs cutting performance for that where a coarse edge just can cut it. Just because your thinking and experience is limited does not mean that everybody has to think like you. :p

The way you talk, you probably don't use a knife for cutting much at all. I guess you can't think of things a polished edge will do because you just pry and stab with your knife. ;)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I dunno Jack, at first I did think that that Carter test was a bit silly. At the moment though, I'm feeling silly because I think I can feel a difference. I'm even imagining that I can feel a difference in bite between S30V and 20CP or M4, in knives I've sharpened to the same degree as much as my skills allow.

Yup, I'm feeling silly because I know I can't be this sensitive.
It's possible that this test is something that takes practice to get good at feeling a difference. If you do it 5 times and can't feel a difference in edges, maybe after doing it 100 times the experience starts kicking in and you begin to be able to "feel" the difference. I may start doing this test if for no other purpose than to see if I start to be able to tell a difference. Plus, it's funny when you say to your friend "let me see if your knife is sharp", then he watches you slide your fingers along the edge. Watch his eyes. :D He will think you are going to cut your fingers off. :eek: :D Sliding your fingers along a sharp edge instead of across it goes against every knife safety rule there is.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I just went through most of this thread and I'm a little confused as to what different people are thinking of when they write based on word usage. It seems that some are talking about the very edge and some are talking about the bevel (side of the edge). To me when you say "mirror" I think of the bevel that you can look at and see the reflection of print when setting the edge on a book page. When I see "rough" I'm thinking of the bevel that has been sharpened with a very coarse stone. This is how Spyderco edges (bevel) look brand new. No reflection because of the scratches. Still can be razor sharp though.

When referring to the edge and seeing the word "toothy" I think of the edge that looks serrated when under high magnification. I get this edge with a coarse stone (220 water stone) and can shave arm hair and it also slices through tomato skin very easily because the "teeth" rip through the skin then the sharpness keeps cutting the meat of the tomato. Now, the edge that is smoother than a "toothy" edge. I don't really know of a word to describe that very smooth cutting edge. This edge will push through wood easily but has a little difficulty ripping through the skin of a tomato. Once the tomato skin is cut this edge will cut easily through the rest of the tomato.

So, the thread title "coarse of mirror polished edges?" is referring to what? Is it the side (bevel) of the edge or the very edge (that does the cutting)? And is everyone thinking the same thing?

Did this make any sense? Sometimes I get confused when reading here because the terms used by long time knife people are still a little foreign to me. Sorry about my confusion and/or ignorance.

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jackknifeh wrote:I just went through most of this thread and I'm a little confused as to what different people are thinking of when they write based on word usage. It seems that some are talking about the very edge and some are talking about the bevel (side of the edge). To me when you say "mirror" I think of the bevel that you can look at and see the reflection of print when setting the edge on a book page. When I see "rough" I'm thinking of the bevel that has been sharpened with a very coarse stone. This is how Spyderco edges (bevel) look brand new. No reflection because of the scratches. Still can be razor sharp though.

When referring to the edge and seeing the word "toothy" I think of the edge that looks serrated when under high magnification. I get this edge with a coarse stone (220 water stone) and can shave arm hair and it also slices through tomato skin very easily because the "teeth" rip through the skin then the sharpness keeps cutting the meat of the tomato. Now, the edge that is smoother than a "toothy" edge. I don't really know of a word to describe that very smooth cutting edge. This edge will push through wood easily but has a little difficulty ripping through the skin of a tomato. Once the tomato skin is cut this edge will cut easily through the rest of the tomato.

So, the thread title "coarse of mirror polished edges?" is referring to what? Is it the side (bevel) of the edge or the very edge (that does the cutting)? And is everyone thinking the same thing?

Did this make any sense? Sometimes I get confused when reading here because the terms used by long time knife people are still a little foreign to me. Sorry about my confusion and/or ignorance.

Jack
You beat me to the question Jack. That's what I was thinking at the moment. Most often when I polish my edges on the edge pro, what ever polish is on the bevel is also on the edge. And when I touch up on the sharpmaker, I also finish on the balsa with diamonds up to 1 micron. so I would say that for my knives at least, the polish on the edge is usually the same polish on the bevels.

My kitchen knives however, when I used the EP, were finished at 600 grit. Since I now practice freehand on them, I either use the Spyderco medium benchstone or a SiC double sided stone. So they are not polished at all.

I do think that different edge finishes do well at different tasks. I used to graft mangoes a lot and at the time I still could not polish a bevel well but we observed that the clean cuts of a polished bevel and edge made for a lower mortality rate.
Slash

Post by Slash »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
The way you talk, you probably don't use a knife for cutting much at all. I guess you can't think of things a polished edge will do because you just pry and stab with your knife. ;)
Since you took the time to reply to each sentence I'll just ask you this. How quickly or how often does that polished edge need repairing from cutting bamboo? Don't they make special wood working type tools like chisels and such for that?

I don't care if you're cutting tires, bamboo, rope or what. That polished edge will go bye bye quick. But, you're right. My cutting experience is limited. I have no need to cut tires or bamboo. You're a smarter knife nut than I cause you cut bamboo and I don't.

FYI, My family owns a restaurant and I worked there as a chef for many years. So, I think I know a thing or two about cutting performances of various knives.

I'm not saying I don't like a polished edge at all...cause I do. I have one on most of my hunting knives that I use for skinning. I'm just saying for most people using a knife for basic tasks there is no need for a polished edge.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

This is an interesting thread and has prompted me to think about why I prefer polished edges. Dangerous I know :eek:

With a coarser finish you have fewer areas of stress accumulation in the material making the stress more concentrated in those areas. With polished edges the load is spread out more giving the blade material more area to absorb the stresses it might be put under. In short, they are stronger and more durable.

Still, it's a matter of personal preference. SE blades have tasks they excel at as do polished, smooth edges and edges with micro serrations.

I don't stab or pry with my knives, seems like it can be a little dangerous with a very sharp edge. Then again each individual has different uses and preferences :)

We're all good, just different :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: The reason that we all are here at SPYDERCO FORUMS is one and only: we all LOVE SPIDIES and knives in general :) . . . . IMHO there is no room for serious arguments, everybody have something to say, the thing is to learn from anything we 'hear' little or big truths will be revealed here on the FORUMS :cool: . . . . I learn something everyday for SPIDIES and i appreciate all of you that you participate in every thread because you give me knowledge and sparks for new ideas :rolleyes: . . . . Thank you all and first of all thank you SPYDERCO :) . . . . I tryed to figure out on my EDC tasks, what is the best 'coarse or mirror polished edges' but everytime i use my SPIDIES i do not need the same, so i carry more than one (it depends on the situation and the mood i'am in to) with different polished edge, so i have something for every task :eek: . . . . I carry a shiny polished edge up to 6000grit, one with a coarse edge up to 600grit, one with coarser factory edge and one with a polished edge up to 1000grit and i am very happy :D . . . . Nice talking to you all my forumites-SPIDIE friends and i hope that this thread will continue and give some good new ideas to all :) . . . . :spyder:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Like STAK and a lot of people here I have gotten into the habit of carrying more than one knife. I carry two, one for "normal" tasks and another for harder/tougher tasks. Think Delica4 and Manix2. That's what I carry most of the time. I like polished edges but for me I don't think it helps me when cutting 99% of what I use a knife for.

I had another thought about polished edges a minute ago. I was looking at the edge on my Manix2 with black blade. I have that edge polished at 15 deg. per side. The bevel isn't wide because the hollow grind blade is pretty thin right at the edge. BUT, one reason for a black blade is to prevent glare in some situations, like combat. So, I was wondering if soldiers concern themselves with a knife with a black blade (or non-reflective coating) and a polished edge bevel. If the knife had a saber grind and low angle the bevel would be a lot wider. Even though the mirror bevel would only be approx 1/8" to 3/16" it still could cause a "flash reflection". The reflection I'm talking about is the one like the kid shines in the preacher's face with a mirror. :D But, if you sharpened the edge using a coarse stone leaving lots of scratches on the bevel (like a brand new Spyderco) that should reduce the reflection to almost nothing.

Am I taking this mirror edge thing too far?

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know it was a joke, but even if you're just stabbing things, the sharp edge will cut allowing the blade to penetrate easier. With a dull edge or no edge at all it would be much harder to get a tall blade to fully penetrate. Just sayin :D

Back on topic, i just sharpened my Para last night going by the method i mentioned earlier...take the bevel down to my 650 grit stone and then raise my angle so i'm just hitting the very edge and polish it out with the 1000 grit...and it gets stupid sharp that way with a fraction of the time i used to spend polishing the entire bevel. I know we could split hairs and say that a totally polished bevel may have a fraction less resistance when slicing, but i think it's a great practice for someone who used their knife hard and frequent and doesn't have a long time to polish out their edge everyday. I tried to get pics of the edge to show but i couldn't get the light to stop reflecting wrong.

Also, i believe the factory does something along the lines of what i do....because the factory edge is never polished, but if you look closely the very edge is always a bit smoother than the rest of the bevel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Evil D wrote: Back on topic, i just sharpened my Para last night going by the method i mentioned earlier...take the bevel down to my 650 grit stone and then raise my angle so i'm just hitting the very edge and polish it out with the 1000 grit...and it gets stupid sharp that way with a fraction of the time i used to spend polishing the entire bevel. I know we could split hairs and say that a totally polished bevel may have a fraction less resistance when slicing, but i think it's a great practice for someone who used their knife hard and frequent and doesn't have a long time to polish out their edge everyday. I tried to get pics of the edge to show but i couldn't get the light to stop reflecting wrong.

Also, i believe the factory does something along the lines of what i do....because the factory edge is never polished, but if you look closely the very edge is always a bit smoother than the rest of the bevel.
I've noticed the same thing about factory edges. The very edge is more refined. To satisfy my latent OCD I keep on polishing :rolleyes:

The reason that we all are here at SPYDERCO FORUMS is one and only: we all LOVE SPIDIES and knives in general . . . . IMHO there is no room for serious arguments, everybody have something to say, the thing is to learn from anything we 'hear' little or big truths will be revealed here on the FORUMS . . . . I learn something everyday for SPIDIES and i appreciate all of you that you participate in every thread because you give me knowledge and sparks for new ideas . . . . Thank you all and first of all thank you SPYDERCO . . . . I tryed to figure out on my EDC tasks, what is the best 'coarse or mirror polished edges' but everytime i use my SPIDIES i do not need the same, so i carry more than one (it depends on the situation and the mood i'am in to) with different polished edge, so i have something for every task . . . . I carry a shiny polished edge up to 6000grit, one with a coarse edge up to 600grit, one with coarser factory edge and one with a polished edge up to 1000grit and i am very happy . . . . Nice talking to you all my forumites-SPIDIE friends and i hope that this thread will continue and give some good new ideas to all . . . .

Agreed with STAK completely :) I'm very aware of how much this forum has helped educate me on these "sharp pointy things" and value it's presence as well as fellow contributors :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I took the kids out last night to see some fireworks and while we were waiting for dark i whittled on some sticks with my S30V Paramilitary. I made a pretty sizable pile of shavings, most of which i made it a point to cut very hard and really dig the blade in and i made a lot of curved cuts into the wood and overall gave the edge a good workout. I was SHOCKED that after all i cut, the knife would still shave hair with ease. I was shocked, because most people will agree that S30V tends to lose that shaving sharp edge within the first few cuts and then hold a working edge for a long time. I can only assume my recent focus on polishing the leading edge is the reason because this knife has never held a shaving edge through that much cutting.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
unit

Post by unit »

Evil D wrote:I took the kids out last night to see some fireworks and while we were waiting for dark i whittled on some sticks with my S30V Paramilitary. I made a pretty sizable pile of shavings, most of which i made it a point to cut very hard and really dig the blade in and i made a lot of curved cuts into the wood and overall gave the edge a good workout. I was SHOCKED that after all i cut, the knife would still shave hair with ease. I was shocked, because most people will agree that S30V tends to lose that shaving sharp edge within the first few cuts and then hold a working edge for a long time. I can only assume my recent focus on polishing the leading edge is the reason because this knife has never held a shaving edge through that much cutting.

That is great that your sharpening is progressing well.

I have been doing a LOT of wood work with my knives in recent months. I have learned a couple things you might value.

1. Polished edges are not debatable among wood workers. That is to say, there is no discussion among carvers...they (we) use polished edges and coarse edges will not give the smooth clean cuts I like for carving.

2. Different wood (and even sources) have different properties. Some woods have more silicates (particularly in the bark) that will degrade edges faster.

I have on more than one occasion inspected an edge during carving and been shocked. Some days I can work only minutes before needing the strop and other days I can go much longer with the same knife.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
STAK

Post by STAK »

Evil D wrote:I took the kids out last night to see some fireworks and while we were waiting for dark i whittled on some sticks with my S30V Paramilitary. I made a pretty sizable pile of shavings, most of which i made it a point to cut very hard and really dig the blade in and i made a lot of curved cuts into the wood and overall gave the edge a good workout. I was SHOCKED that after all i cut, the knife would still shave hair with ease. I was shocked, because most people will agree that S30V tends to lose that shaving sharp edge within the first few cuts and then hold a working edge for a long time. I can only assume my recent focus on polishing the leading edge is the reason because this knife has never held a shaving edge through that much cutting.
:spyder: Glad to hear that S30V serves you well :) . . . . My EDC MANIX2 S30V FFG DLC STAG ARMS is so great on edge holding, i tested it with an ENDURA4 VG10 SG reprofiled at 17deg polished up to 1000grit and find that i had to touch-up the ENDURA every day and the MANIX2 S30V reprofiled at 17deg polished up to 600grit , on the same tasks, every five days, doing the flashlight test :eek: . . . . Now i test the MANIX2 S30V FFG DLC STAG ARMS along with the MANIX2 CTS-BD30P and for now i am very pleased with BD30P, we'll see :) . . . . :spyder:
STAK

Post by STAK »

unit wrote:That is great that your sharpening is progressing well.

I have been doing a LOT of wood work with my knives in recent months. I have learned a couple things you might value.

1. Polished edges are not debatable among wood workers. That is to say, there is no discussion among carvers...they (we) use polished edges and coarse edges will not give the smooth clean cuts I like for carving.

2. Different wood (and even sources) have different properties. Some woods have more silicates (particularly in the bark) that will degrade edges faster.

I have on more than one occasion inspected an edge during carving and been shocked. Some days I can work only minutes before needing the strop and other days I can go much longer with the same knife.
:spyder: So true about different wood with different properties, but S30V is a proven 'wood-eater' :D . . . . I'll test my two MANIX2's on the same kind of wood and see what will happen to the edges :confused: . . . . First i will polish them up to 1000grit both, and then all the way up to 6000grit (that is my limit with the EDGE-PRO tapes) :) . . . . :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I also find that my polished s30v edges that will no longer cut cardboard without tearing will still cut wood cleanly.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Just because a blade won't pop or shave hair doesn't mean it's dull, steels like S30V will continue to cut for a VERY, VERY long time after that happens.

S30V is pretty wear resistant and most wood really isn't much of a challenge for it. I have found in my testing that I can cut a lot of wood with the more wear resistant steels and the edge isn't really effected at all, if I noticed any change. I have even gone as far as testing the down force in cutting rope before and after the wood and there is almost no change before and after, usually right around a pound of down force to no noticeable change.

Rope and Cardboard are much more abrasive on the edges than most wood could ever be.
cr123

polished edges for me

Post by cr123 »

for both the delica and military i carry, i like keeping the edges polished. edges just look cooler to me mirrored. for the most part, i just use the knives to break down boxes or cut food.

the polished edges are a result of using the spydie course, fine, and extra fine rods. i really didn't set out to get mirrored edges. i just got some red rouge and will put it on cardboard to get into stropping.

i figure if the polished edge gets dull, i'll just sharpen it in the field because i do keep a sharpening kit w/me.

stay sharp!
Mano

Post by Mano »

Evil D wrote:...I was shocked, because most people will agree that S30V tends to lose that shaving sharp edge within the first few cuts and then hold a working edge for a long time. I can only assume my recent focus on polishing the leading edge is the reason because this knife has never held a shaving edge through that much cutting.
This is similar to the question i ask on this little review (at the end of it):

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50425

My experience is very similar, my S30V knife can shave arm and leg hair after cutting paper, cardboard, foam, etc. and im not talking about one of each but many, i guess the comments we have read refer to a VERY sharp edge

for the record i too use a kind of mirror edge, i dont know how polished it can be compared to yours guys, i finish it with the fine stones on a sharpmaker, but start with gentle strenght and then just feather it, it gets very clean, polished and reflective, the last time i did it on the Frog Leg i didnt use the angled slots but the horizontal one (the one on the bottom of the base) and did it freehand, i think i can feel the edge touching the stone better and i get better results that way.

It was more comfortable initially to use the slots, specially with the ergo handle of the Frog Leg, but now i can feel better and faster results doing it freehand on the Sharpmaker stones, guess i will have to buy a bigger stone to practice freehand