Just paid for a Tasman Salt / Tell me about Hawkbills

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Just paid for a Tasman Salt / Tell me about Hawkbills

Post by carrot »

Always loved the look of the hawkbills but never had a good reason to own one.

After causing rust pits on an S30V blade I figured I should try a Salt and since I found a great deal on a Tasman on another forum I went for it.

Now that I'm waiting for it to come in, please help me get excited for it by telling me how hawkbills help you in your daily usage. Or maybe post some cool pictures of the Tasman please.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
araneae

Post by araneae »

I've been using my Tasman at work a lot lately. Its so nice to have a blade that you can put away covered in gunk, then clean it up a day later with no worries. Its not the most versatile blade shape, but it does a lot of stuff really well.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I use a hawkbill when I want to cut something I really can't hold. I use it to cut things overhead and in tight spots. I also use it to make shallow cuts in paper bags that have my lunch in them. They're great for rope too. You can also use the point kinda like an exacto knife because its the only part that would touch on a flat surface. I always edc a spyderhawk h1 se. Never know when you might need it. H1 is tough stuff you can actually bend it a little without it breaking so if you ever drop the knife on a hard surface usually the point will bend instead of breaking. Had that happen on my spyderhawk. I bent it back and its fine.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I don't have a Tasman, but I have a harpy and a H1 dragonfly.

H1 is cool stuff. I've had my dragonfly for 3 days now and I'm loving this steel. I have left the edge at 15 degrees and with a quick strop very night, it's shaving sharp.

The hawkbill blade is also cool. I've owned my harpy for 15ish years and it still puts a smile on my face when I use it. It's more useful than one would think but I alway carry a straight blade with the harpy because it doesnt do everything.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I use my Spyderhawk for a lot of gardening/trail work. It's great for removing blackberries and other viney plants when you can't swing a machete for whatever reason.

The smaller Tasman doesn't work as well for this IME, but it does good for things like opening packaging and cutting down boxes, or anything where you need a fine point. I keep one on my climbing harness as well...
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
camokid

Post by camokid »

I'm waiting for my Tasman to come in the mail. Its like waiting for Christmas.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Did you order the Plain Edge or Serrated Edge? My Tasman is PE, and I have the SpyderHawk in both PE and SE.

The SE Hawkbill is great for garden work as has been mentioned, I keep it clipped on when mowing the yard (the H1 steel won't rust from my sweat) and it works great for trimming the occasional branch sticking out through the fence. I also tend to keep it with me when kayaking, in case I need to cut loose a tangled rope etc.

Another use for my Tasman, it works great for reaching into the vacuum cleaner and cutting the hair from the roller brush :) .
carrot

Post by carrot »

I got the PE Tasman. I do a lot of outdoors activities during the summer (hiking, backpacking, climbing) and I sweat boatloads when I do them. Imagine my surprise when I pull out my (very expensive non-Spyderco) folder and find rust spots and a rust pit on the S30V blade! That was reason enough for me to decide to try out a Salt and I suppose it should be a good companion to my drop point small fixed blade.

Very impatiently waiting for it to arrive. I assume it will come in Monday?
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Congrats on your purchase...can't go wrong with the Tasman IMO. Had mine since sometime in 2006 and it has seen probably more combined pocket time than any other single knife I've ever owned. One of my all-time favorites! Enjoy your new knife and let us know what you think when it arrives!!!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
scout

Post by scout »

I use mine daily. It is great for zip ties and opening boxes. As a furniture delivery guy, I use it for cuts that need to be made away from the product. I know that you should not cut towards yourself, but a carefully executed pull cut can protect the object being cut or damaged.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

rodloos wrote: Another use for my Tasman, it works great for reaching into the vacuum cleaner and cutting the hair from the roller brush :) .
Ooh! Rodloos, thank you for the PERFECT excuse I needed to justify ordering a Tasman! ( I have long hair, and it does tend to muck up the roller brush...)
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
carrot

Post by carrot »

Used the Tasman for a long afternoon of yardwork. Made a quick work of cutting things up, although I also accidentally smacked the edge against some metal in the yard. That damage sharpened right out on the Sharpmaker. H1 scratches up really easily... just from cutting up some vegetation I noticed scratches on the blade. I'm actually considering getting another Tasman, this time in SE. It's an awesome knife, although I'm still not sure why I should carry it instead of a more versatile blade shape.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

carrot wrote:Used the Tasman for a long afternoon of yardwork. Made a quick work of cutting things up, although I also accidentally smacked the edge against some metal in the yard. That damage sharpened right out on the Sharpmaker. H1 scratches up really easily... just from cutting up some vegetation I noticed scratches on the blade. I'm actually considering getting another Tasman, this time in SE. It's an awesome knife, although I'm still not sure why I should carry it instead of a more versatile blade shape.
Yea H1 is similar to differentially hardened iron. The spine is quite soft and the grind portions get harder due to the work hardening. Despite the cosmetic downfalls this is a good thing because it gives great edge retention (especially in SE) with a shock-resistant frame.

Reasons to carry over a conventional blade? Mainly the cutting performance of sinking a tip precisely and letting physics/blade geometry work wonders with pull cutting. You can't skin or whittle in the same way but no knife with a belly cuts as aggressively.
basemodel

Post by basemodel »

My Ladybug Salt Hawkbill is in the mail and can't wait to get it in my hands. The Canada Post strike came at a bad time and they seem to be very backlogged. This will be my first hawkbill and blade in H1 and I think it will be very useful and easy to EDC.

Have a feeling the Ladybug will be a gateway drug to the Tasman. Congrats on your purchase and tell us how it is :D
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Blerv wrote: Reasons to carry over a conventional blade? Mainly the cutting performance of sinking a tip precisely and letting physics/blade geometry work wonders with pull cutting. You can't skin or whittle in the same way but no knife with a belly cuts as aggressively.
EXACTLY! The para2s are my favorite spydies, but I find that my tasmans get most of my pocket time (on the days when I'm only carrying 1 knife :) )
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I personally don't like hawkbills, they are terribly useless blades and think they are silly. :) ;)

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Sithus1966 wrote:I personally don't like hawkbills, they are terribly useless blades and think they are silly. :) ;)

lol
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
camokid

Post by camokid »

Check out this vid. I feel it will give you great confidence in the knife you just purchased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Tp1yRxHdc